WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Please Recommend: Sporty with Rubber Band under $500

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  boogiewith 
#1 ·
I could really use some help. I have been a lurker on this forum for a while. I currently own two watches (Gold/Stainless Rolex Datejust, Frederique Constant Maxime). I used to wear a G-Shock on weekends, and when I was active (including in the water). I am now 35 yrs. old and want something for that same purpose, but that is a little more mature (no offense to those that still wear the G shocks at this age). I am really confused. I thought I was interested in a Hamilton Khaki Field Auto, but am not sure. Then I tried on the Hamilton X-Copter, and thought it was really cool, the type of thing I may be looking for, but it might be a little out of my price range of $500. I would love some suggestions of either similar types to the X-Copter, or others that would fit what I'm looking for that may be totally different. I am open to either quartz or auto. It has to be waterproof to at least 100M (which correct me if I'm wrong, is a good number for casual swimming), rubber or nylon band (again for water). So, thoughts, suggestions?

#2 ·

Hamilton is IMHO one of the best watches for the money. The first is watch is a Seiko 5 which is similarly a great buy for the money.. about $150 new. There are also 2 Orients in the mix as well... both around $100.. good in-house movements and good quality for the money. The last two Hamiltons may be a hundred bucks or so above your 500 dollar limit but I thought I'd throw them in for thought. Good luck.

#3 ·
It is even better if you can buy a Revue Thommen for the price of a Hamilton:

+ change strap to rubber of choice

#4 ·
Don't worry too much about a rubber strap.
Make sure you get a decent watch that you really like with a strap/bracelet that can be removed... then put on one of your own choice.

Ideally make sure the watch has lugs that are 18, 20, or 22mm, as there are plenty of straps in these sizes.

#7 ·
I know it's beyond your allotted budget but if in case there's extra flexibility in the limit, you might want to consider the Swiss Army Dive Master 500 Mecha ($650 street price). The extra cost might be worthwhile considering that the movement uses an ETA 2892 and is one of the few dive watches with a sapphire back. The heavy-duty rubber strap is also probably the best out there.

Here's a review (I have no connection with the site):
Swiss Army Victorinox Dive Master 500 Mechanical Watch Review

#14 ·
^^Agreed, way too classy for a beater, but still manages to be rugged and subdued enough for everyday wear. If you are a quartz man you won't be disappointed with the SA.

#15 ·
Advice on the Swiss Army chrono classic; how big is the XL, I think it's 45mm, but how does it look/feel in your opinion? What are people's thoughts on the band, stainless, the titanium (which I don't know if it comes in the XL), or black leather? Can I put a rubber band on it, and if so, how would I go about it?

I am still looking for other options, I really, really like that Hamilton X-Copter, but it's too expensive. I think it's a good balance of sporty, mechanical, and I like the uniqueness of it.

#16 ·
As I can't give you personal testimony on the XL version..but yes, the unanimous listed size among the online vendors seems to be 45mm. I will however make you aware that the stainless band is of exceptional quality. Double deployant and solid ss all the way including the ends. This watch will accept pretty much any after-market 22mm strap..so that all depends on your taste whether it be rubber , leather, steel mesh, nylon..well you get the point. It's an easy swap..helps to have a good spring bar tool though.

#18 ·
I love Hamilton; they make a great watch for the money and are a great value. JDM Seiko Divers are also a great choice; something like the SRP043K1/2 or Sumo (though the rubber straps on both are garbage). Marathon also makes a strong choice; I have a JSAR that I bought NOS for $460, but brand new it's still only $500. Best rubber strap I've ever seen, owned, or handled. The TSAR is a smaller watch (41mm against 46.6mm) if that is a concern. I just wore my JSAR down in the mud and heat of the Memphis in May music festival and never had a worry; it's a great watch.

If you do go with something from Seiko, I suggest you buy a couple of NATOs to go along with it because, as I said earlier, the rubber is total nonsense. I'm wearing one on rubber right now and can't wait to switch. I've found them to be better value for money on the accessories market than aftermarket rubber straps. I mean, there are guys here who have Isofranes on their Seiko Monsters, and I don't get it. Why put a $100 strap on a $150 watch? It doesn't make sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.