Question about the Sea-Gull ST16 automatic movement...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about the Sea-Gull ST16 automatic movement...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about the Sea-Gull ST16 automatic movement...

I recently found out my watch has the Sea-Gull ST16 movement can anyone tell me a little about it? Like what country manufactures it etc. and how good it is? I will post a pic of my watch too. For the record I kept track of the time on my watch compared to the official GMT time and it is roughly 5 seconds faster over a 7 day period which is fine with me but is that good? Thanks for any info everyone!

Name:  ArmitronAutomaticSkeleton.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  181.9 KB

Re: Question about the Sea-Gull ST16 automatic movement...

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Krafty View Post
    I recently found out my watch has the Sea-Gull ST16 movement can anyone tell me a little about it? Like what country manufactures it etc. and how good it is? I will post a pic of my watch too. For the record I kept track of the time on my watch compared to the official GMT time and it is roughly 5 seconds faster over a 7 day period which is fine with me but is that good? Thanks for any info everyone!

I don't know much about the sea gull movements aside from the fact that they are in a lot of cases these days. I'd try asking over in the Chinese forum as sea gull is of that region.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of horology.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Außerordentliche übel erfordern außerordentliche Mittel.

Rolex - Zenith - Nomos - Seiko - Burberry

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Krafty View Post

I just ordered this watch today on Amazon for $49 during a lightning deal. How do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro66 View Post
    I just ordered this watch today on Amazon for $49 during a lightning deal. How do you like it?
    I love it so far! And congrats on the price! Can't beat that!

The sea-gull st16 has proven to be a good and reliable movement and many watch enthusiasts who buy "affordable" watches are really pleased with it.

Congrats with your new watch and wear it in the best of health!

Sea-Gull is the world's biggest manufacturer of mechanical watch movements and it is indeed Chinese (like most things these days, even some those four figure watches have a whole bunch of Chinese parts). The quality of their movements varies a whole bunch because they manufacture and sell to just about everyone at every conceivable level of quality, from rejects sold to terrible replica makers to haute horlogerie movements worth tens of thousands of dollars.

I don't know anything about Armitron and their quality standards, but you seem to have a fairly good one judging from the time it keeps, but really the only test is time. At the end of the day it's an entry level piece so I wouldn't worry too much. If you truly get into the hobby you'll be buying many, many more watches.

edit: bonus cool thing! You see that tightly wound coil at roughly 12:30 on the dial? It's the mainspring and you can use it to judge how much power reserve the watch has left.
    Last edited by jakonovski; November 7th, 2013 at 00:03.
    Totoro66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakonovski View Post

edit: bonus cool thing! You see that tightly wound coil at roughly 12:30 on the dial? It's the mainspring and you can use it to judge how much power reserve the watch has left.
    Good point. But how do you know when it is getting low? I know it will look less tightly wound, but by how much? Or do you just kind of guess from experience?

Banned

You bought it for 49 and he OP for 125...Phuu :(.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchUlooking View Post
    You bought it for 49 and he OP for 125...Phuu :(.
    It was a one hour lightning deal. I posted it in the Chinese forum, but it didn't last long. $125 is about what an ST16 Seagull costs. I just lucked out.

It's not a reserve indicator so it won't give you an accurate indication. Some watches have a meter on the face or caseback to indicate how many hours of reserve power are left. Most watches don't of course so seeing the mainspring in this case will only provide an approximate indication. Rule of thumb - a watch worn every day should keep working. Unworn and assuming it had a full reserve when unworn, most watches will keep working for approximately 38-42 hours before stopping.
    Current - Archimede Pilot 39 // Orient Bambino (Steel with black dial) // Seiko 5 - SNKL09 // Seiko SARB017 Alpinist // Lip GDG 145

Want list (Subject to change) - Tissot Heritage PR156 // Dugena Festa (Junghans Meister if the budget stretches) // Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT // Nomos Club // Longines Heritage Diver // Mido Commander Chronometer // Stowa Seatime // Stowa Fleiger T01 Testaf // Laco Vintage // March La.B AM3 Marron // G. Gerlach Tritium // Oris Chronoris // Glycine Airman SST 12 // Tutima Saxon One

If only* (Also subject to change) - Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra // Omega Speedmaster Chronograph // Sinn Model 140 st // Damasko Modell DK101 // Mühle Terranaut Trail // Genesis Lemania // Rolex Milgauss // Glash
    ütte Original Sixties Square Chronograph // Vulcain - Nautical Seventies and Cricket Extreme (I'm partial to Vulcain generally) // Grand Seiko Hi-Beat // Hajime Asaoka Tourbillon

*(AKA - not in this lifetime)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information