Received an Heirloom watch - Should I sell?

Thread: Received an Heirloom watch - Should I sell?

-->
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Received an Heirloom watch - Should I sell?

My father gave me his great uncles watch. A solid gold Doxa from around the 1940's. Its a pretty watch, but its nowhere near my style. Its too small for my wrist and I don't like yellow gold.
    Would it be wrong of me to sell it and buy a watch I'd wear? My father told me "do what you want with it" and he never wore it either.
    I've had the watch for about a year and I like the sentimental value of it, but its been in my dresser drawer the whole time.
    Part of me thinks that if I used the money to buy a watch I'd wear more often, than there would be a purpose to his old Doxa.
    What would you do?

Re: Received an Heirloom watch - Should I sell?

tough call, idk. Sorry that probably does'nt help much... did you know the uncle well?

I think before you consider selling it, see if anybody else in your family (of somewhat similar relation to your great uncle) would truly appreciate and enjoy it. Not that I'm an avid proponent of re-gifting things, but at least it would stay in the family that way.

Of course if you have a nasty cousin of some sort who is going to take it and pawn it, I suggest avoiding offering it to them...

I'd keep it. You probably wont get that much money for it anyway, depending on the condition. Plus money cant buy memories and family history. Maybe you can pass it down to your kids someday and keep the tradition going. IMO
    Brgds
    Pasquale,

www.myspace.com/rip_Lino

I knew him a little. My family is from Poland I moved to the states when I was 5 and haven't seem him since then... 25 years.
    I don't have any other relatives in the states other than my parents. So there's no one I could give it to.

If you have no emotional tie to the person or the watch then i would put it on the market and see what happens...you can wait until you find a perfect match of some one who appreciates the watch...currently gold is high and yellow gold is popular again so it would be a good time to post it on forums and bring it to watch shops for ideas...dont talk down the watch or you wont get the offers you would have if you just say that you are considering trading it or out right liqudating the watch.

It's your call but I'd never sell a family heirloom like this. I got three pocket watches passed down from my grandfathers. The best one I gave to my son-in-law. Once sold the family history is gone forever.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

I would never sell. To small? Yes, today it is maybe un-fashionably small. But, when that fashion changes, as it will, you might regret selling it!
    Keep it!

I guess the important thing is "what does it mean to you?". If it doesn't represent any feelings of family or tradition then it's kind of pointless to keep it. Doesn't sound like you have children or even have thoughts about that option. I personally have two of my Dads watches that I'm passing down but I have two grown children and 4 grand children. I also have a solid gold pocket watch that was given to my Grandfather by his father and it has been passed down also. I view and enjoy them daily. But that's me. If your watch has no emotion attached to it, dump it.

Banned

I would like to add: I do not know your age, but if you are young, family and tradition usually means little. But the older you get, the more important those things get!
    Keep it safe in a drawer, one day you might appreciate a family heirloom and you will regret you sold it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information