Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Is Rotary Watch a good brand?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Is Rotary Watch a good brand?

I was in an AD over the weekend and saw a rotary watch. Are they a good brand? What tier do they compare to?

thanks

Re: Is Rotary Watch a good brand?

The few that I've have handled, I would rank them with, Anne Kline.
    Gary123 likes this.

They came out with a Limited Skeleton watch a couple of years ago, which was swiss made, with an ETA movement and saphire glass. I'd like to get my hands on one. Only 500 worldwide I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I was looking to purchase one last year, and just as I was about to pull the trigger on a Dreyfuss-same company as Rotary-I learned that they are basically a Chinese watch-but weren't advertised as being so. (Nothing wrong with watches made in China, as I have several, but I don't care for companies that misrepresent their technology and workmanship)

But they do have some pretty watches, with sapphire crystals. Most of them I've seen have been in the 150 to 500 range.
    chuasam likes this.

From what I understand their Limited Edition watches, like the one pictured are swiss made, using an eta movement and sapphire crystals. Those would be the only ones I would be willing to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    I was looking to purchase one last year, and just as I was about to pull the trigger on a Dreyfuss-same company as Rotary-I learned that they are basically a Chinese watch-but weren't advertised as being so. (Nothing wrong with watches made in China, as I have several, but I don't care for companies that misrepresent their technology and workmanship)

But they do have some pretty watches, with sapphire crystals. Most of them I've seen have been in the 150 to 500 range.
    I think Dreyfuss & co watches are the upmarket (midmarket) brand for Rotary. They claim to be Swiss and handmade, from their advertising & window displays. Interestingly however their dials read "Fabrique en Suisse", rather than in English "Swiss Made" which I understand is a legally protected term. Which would suggest that it is not really Swiss as legally defined...?

They do look like very nice watches, with luxurious presentation boxes However I have no experience of them & would be interested to read feedback comments from owners.

Banned

Where are the other Rotary watches made?

What is interesting about Rotary is that it is a brand with a long history dating back to the 19th century - and is still an independent company run by the founding family. As such it is a respected name with 'heritage' (which some consider important), although their watches are aimed mainly at the affordable, quartz market which of course is what most people buy. They also offer a lifetime warranty subject to approved servicing every 3 years. So yes my impression is that Rotary is a good, reputable, respected brand.
    Last edited by Ovalteenie; September 7th, 2010 at 17:26.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

I've seen lots of Rotary watches in the jewelers shops when visiting in the UK and I like them. Rotary seems to be a nice brand sort of like Bulova to me.
    mla likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I have also seen pre-quartz era Rotary watches, which look very nice & appear very well made.

In the UK they are a well known popular brand competing with the likes of Accurist, Sekonda, Pulsar, lower end Seiko & Citizen, in the affordable quartz sector. To be found in lower end jewellers, department stores and Argos. It's more upmarket brand Dreyfuss is sold in midmarket stores such as Ernest Jones, offering 'Swiss' 'hand made' (I am not sure to extent that is true) watches with 3-digit prices competing with affordable luxury brands such as the likes of midrange Seikos, Hamilton, Raymond Weil as well as midrange fashion brands such as Gucci.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information