Irl

Seeking solar powered alarm chronograph

I'm looking to buy a watch which is:
    analog
    solar powered
    not too huge
    has a chronograph
    has an alarm
    and displays the alarm constantly (rather than having to dive into a tiny LCD to find out what it's set to.
    I have a Citizen eco-drive watch (2100 calibre, I believe) which has all these features, but (a) it's too big, and (b) the alarm is difficult to set more accurately than about ten minutes. I have had a Seiko alarm chronograph with the small two-hand alarm display and a chronograph with sweep second hand and small dial for minutes up to 30 or 60. It was great except not solar powered. Any suggestions?

Re: Seeking solar powered alarm chronograph

The only one's i am thinking of are Citizen or Casio with those features..I am thinking maybe the Waveceptor models.
    Mike

Irl

The Waveceptors seem to be pure digital display.
    I want something with hands which shows the time, the chronometer, and the alarm via separate dials. The Citizen 2100 type is close, but the alarm is a single hand so it's hard to set precisely. (It's also too huge.) Seiko has many watches (e.g. the "titanium") with all the features except no solar. The Seiko solar watches have no alarm or chronograph. Some of the Citizen eco-drive watches have the precision alarm-set feature but they have this very dumb feature that you have to move the control mode to the chosen function (e.g., alarm) and wait for the hands to march around and stop moving. Takes forever.
    So: any suggestions?

Citizen Eco drive! you have to find the model that you like. I have one chrono, one simple (nothing but day/date). Great bang for you buck, the non chrono is my beater, and she get some almost every day.

Irl

I actually own a 2100 eco-drive. Its alarm setting is only shown by one hand so it's kind of imprecise. And the thing is huge. But thanks for the help anyway.
    I was somewhat intrigued by your last two clauses ("the non chrono is my beater, and she get some almost every day"). Obviously English is not your native language, but thank you for replying in English! But what exactly were you saying? (I speak French and some German and can puzzle out Spanish and Italian -- maybe even Russian and Polish -- so tell me in your own language and I'll reply with a less enigmatic translation into English if I can.)
    Yours,
    Irl

Citizen BL5250-02L perhaps?

Irl

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know whether you've owned one of these. Citizen has a whole line of multifunction analog watches which use the same system as this one. I ordered one a few years ago and I discovered that when changing modes (the small dial at the bottom) the hands have to reposition themselves to display the setting of the new mode. This would not be too awful if the minute hand and hour hand both immediately went to the new position, but instead it appears these are geared together so, for example, if it's 6 pm and you want to set an alarm for 11 pm, you have to wait for the minute hand to spin around 5 times, and it doesn't go all that fast. It is a really unusable user interface, IMHO. I sent it back.
    If you've tried one that had implemented independent motion of the two hands so it just takes a couple of seconds to go to the new display, please let me know. (This would be a more recent model.)
    Among the Citizen eco-drive watches that I've looked at, the ones like the calibre 2100, with a separate set of hands for each function, seems to be the most usable. (Although it's huge and my shirt cuffs won't button over it.) Unfortunately there's only an hour hand for the alarm, so setting it to better than ten minutes is chancy. I often used to use my Seiko to set an alarm for two or three minutes in the future to remind me to go look at the steaks or whatever; the Citizen 2100 doesn't really allow that. So I'm still looking. I've kind of decided to wait until Seiko comes out with a more complete solar line; at present their solar watches are only plain vanilla, but I suspect that in another year they'll have their alarm chronographs with the solar power and then I'll grab one.
    Again, thanks for your help, and I hope I don't come across as hostile!

Quote Originally Posted by Irl View Post
    I actually own a 2100 eco-drive. Its alarm setting is only shown by one hand so it's kind of imprecise. And the thing is huge. But thanks for the help anyway.
    I was somewhat intrigued by your last two clauses ("the non chrono is my beater, and she get some almost every day"). Obviously English is not your native language, but thank you for replying in English! But what exactly were you saying? (I speak French and some German and can puzzle out Spanish and Italian -- maybe even Russian and Polish -- so tell me in your own language and I'll reply with a less enigmatic translation into English if I can.)
    Yours,
    Irl
    Sorry for the post, I cant even understand some of what I wrote.

Let me try this again, I have 2 citizens Both ecodrive (one all black,perpetual calender ,chronograph). This one is my "newer" watch. I use most of the functions on a daily work day. I also have a very simple one with nothing but date/day.

The very simple one I have had for 9 yrs. I use it as my beater, everything from car work (quite extensive at times) to metal fabrication, to shooting sports. When ever I am concerned about hurting a watch I use my simple watch, She (the watch) has never been back for service (she will be soon, just for new gaskets/Cristal). But no matter what I have put the watch threw, it never gave me a problem. I cant recommend the eco drive watches enough, Given you are looking for a quartz.

That is all I was trying to say.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    Very nice looking watch. Which model is that and do you know the case size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information