Shinola unboxing
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Shinola unboxing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Shinola unboxing

My dad retires this year, and I want to get him a watch. He currently wears a Timex EZ reader, and likes the legibility, small size, and accuracy. He feels strongly about supporting American companies, and so when I heard about Shinola, it all came together.

So, based on how fast the originals sold out, I ordered him a 40 mm Brakeman (hopefully, not too big - wish they had a 38mm model) even though he doesn't retire until the end of the year. It arrived yesterday, and I haven't seen any unboxing pix or reviews, so here we go (just quickie cell phone pix)

It arrived well packed in a branded cardboard box with a nice cover sheet:

There is only a paper "wrap" around the wooden box, but with a nice "thank you" note:

The unfinished wooden box looks nice:

Some foam filler inside to make sure the watch doesn't flop around in transit:

The box is nice, with the watch and a small jar of leather balm:

Wrist shot

Initial review - it's a nice watch! The strap is a bit stiff (good thing it comes with leather conditioner!), but has a nice double hinge deployant. The seconds hand does not hit the dial markers - unacceptable IMHO for a $600 watch, but only WIS will notice. The case is nicely finished, and the dial is very attractive. I didn't check the lume, but assume it will be OK as most modern watches, and a disappointment compared to my Ball watches.

If you like the style, and the seconds hand not hitting the markers won't drive you crazy, then you should check them out.
    Hamilton Chronomatic B, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute 809, Ball Fireman 43, Tissot T-Touch II, Hamilton Khaki AirRace, Ball Worldtime Diver

Re: Shinola unboxing

Thanks for taking the time to post. Been following this company with some interest. Are you ordering a second one for your dad? :)

Interesting.......
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkingTime View Post
    Are you ordering a second one for your dad? :)
    No, I have an RGM on the way for me :)

I don't think he would be too interested in the accuracy or maintenance of a mechanical watch.
    MarkingTime and bacari like this.
    Hamilton Chronomatic B, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute 809, Ball Fireman 43, Tissot T-Touch II, Hamilton Khaki AirRace, Ball Worldtime Diver

Inactive

the seconds hand not hitting the dial marks would drive me crazy, if you're doing a quartz watch and charging north of $600.00 for it you have to nail the details.

I am rooting for the company though, I would love to see a rebirth of American manufacturing, we made some amazing products back in the day.
    MarkingTime, Perdendosi and mpvick like this.

It is interesting and the design is pretty well proportioned. Hope he enjoys it.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

I like Shinola's offerings.

Previously, I didn't have much of an opinion of the brand, but my dad gifted me this one a few weeks back, while, at the same time, buying one for himself and my mom. The second hand on mine doesn't hit the markers exactly, but my parents' Shinolas are spot on.

The watch is well made, sleek, and it feels both vintage and modern. The strap is fantastic, too. I'd say this was a super solid and thoughtful purchase for your dad.

Here's mine. I really like the cushion case on the one you got, tc.

Jimmy B and bacari like this.

Nice one ~tc~. That's a lovely and thoughtful gesture for your dad.

I also like the note that came from Shinola. I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

It is unacceptable for the hand to not align with the markers. It should not happen on any quartz watch, whatever the price. It is a deal breaker for me. I have only had one watch, a Citizen, where that was an issue and off it went. I mean how does that get past quality control? That has to be like the first thing you check out, right? Since you have time I would send it back for a replacement.
    Perdendosi and richnyc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fjblair View Post
    It is unacceptable for the hand to not align with the markers. It should not happen on any quartz watch, whatever the price. It is a deal breaker for me. I have only had one watch, a Citizen, where that was an issue and off it went. I mean how does that get past quality control? That has to be like the first thing you check out, right? Since you have time I would send it back for a replacement.
    It's easy to get past Shinola quality control. I had to send mine back twice because it was broken right out of the box. First because the second hand didn't move and again because the minute hand was loose and free spinning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information