sold a watch on ebay... buyer wants me to ship to thailand should I do it? - Page 5
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: sold a watch on ebay... buyer wants me to ship to thailand should I do it?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: sold a watch on ebay... buyer wants me to ship to thailand should I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I would not have a problem shipping to any country. Any.
    You just pack the watch and box in front of the FedEx guy, make him sign a document that he saw you packing the watch etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppes-no9 View Post
    Good luck making anyone sign a document like that. And even if the Fedex guy does sign it, do you really expect him to get involved in a dispute between you and a buyer in Thailand? Never gonna happen, they're hourly employees, not Notaries Public.

I wish it were so...that the various mailing services had that ability to verify what goes into a package before it's sealed and sent. Receiving an empty box or one filled with a few rocks (or whatever) results from a dangerous loophole in the whole transaction process. Luckily(?), it's a fairly small and relatively infrequent occurrence, because, first, you have to be a criminal (this is a pretty serious crime--oops won't cut it); and, second, you're a criminal who's pretty desperate to monkey with small potatoes profit. Even a notary public would not work, unless mr. or mrs. notary accompanied you to the post office to observe the sealing and handing over. It's a bit unsolvable at this point.

Hoppes is right, unfortunately.

Just one comment...

paypal is OK for amounts up to 1000 $ (for me) but everything over that amount,and you are talking about 5k $ should be paid by bank to bank transfer (and I would send the watch one day after receiving cleared funds).
    Box should go with the watch,not separately (but good thing that you can not ship jewelery to Thailand ).

Haf

Some of you might have read my Scammed on ebay - what to do now? thread, all I can say after my experience with ebay is that they will nitpick every single detail of the transaction.

I live in a country with high VAT and import taxes, so I can see where the buyer is coming from and I don't have a problem with this kind of practice, but what really worries me is that the buyer brought all these new details in respect to the shipping after the auction had taken place.

Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    Some of you might have read my Scammed on ebay - what to do now? thread, all I can say after my experience with ebay is that they will nitpick every single detail of the transaction.

I live in a country with high VAT and import taxes, so I can see where the buyer is coming from and I don't have a problem with this kind of practice, but what really worries me is that the buyer brought all these new details in respect to the shipping after the auction had taken place.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Just asking for trouble.He should of asked the seller those questions earlier.Just strange.
    PS- we have 30% tax

Both parties need to do the right thing.
    The seller should not be adding the PP surcharge to the cost of the item.
    The buyer should not expect the seller to engage in an illegal activity by falsely declaring the value.

If you believe the customs duties you have to pay are unfair, lobby your government. Don't expect the rest of the world to act illegally for you.
    CITIZEN OMEGA (2) SEIKO (2) LUM-TEC ORIS SINN

Banned

With all the caution... YES. To hell custom duties that is the real (legal) theft!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bfisher View Post
    With all the caution... YES. To hell custom duties that is the real (legal) theft!!!
    perhaps, perhaps not......but either way this is not a suitable forum for the discussion of such matters. lets get back to focusing on the the situation as it exists for the op.

thanks
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

Quote Originally Posted by jole777 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Just asking for trouble.He should of asked the seller those questions earlier.Just strange.
    PS- we have 30% tax
    That is true, he should have been upfront with his 'requirements'. Concerning the tax, well, there's more to that story,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

What follows is a long, drawn out explanation of the nature of the thai customs service, read at the peril of your eyes glazing over:

Quote Originally Posted by Bfisher View Post
    This guy has been closer to it than anyone else here.

You see, Thai customs is not anything that you can trust. The only thing you can trust them to do is the bad thing, whatever that may be.

I have to laugh when I read (earlier in this thread) about folks saying how the buyer is 'intending to defraud his government', not because I'm some kind of super libertarian, and that such things as paying a customs tariff would offend my sensibilities, but rather because it shows the strength of their governmental and societal system and the integrity that underpins that compared to the place that I live in. So you see, a kind of tragic, bitter laughter.

If you know anything about the customs department here, and how they do things, you'll know that the customs tax system is effectively an arbitrary one, with the only stipulation that anything over 30USD needs to be taxed.

Where things get fun is when you buy something above 30USD - and considering all the neat stuff that one may purchase from overseas these days, that list stretches ever onward.

For example, a friend of mine bought a baseball cap from the states for about 32-33 bucks (it was some kind of collector piece or whatever) - he paid no tax. Not soon afterward, he ordered something similar for the same price (hat of a different team I think), and bam! He's hit with a tax. Odd inconsistency? You bet.

My own example: I ordered from the states once a whole lot of models for a hobby of mine (some table top wargame). The total price was around 140USD. Now, when I did the final clicks to pay by paypal I really was cringing, thinking that I was going to really get it when it came time for me to pick up the item from the post office (they send you a slip saying that your parcel is there and that you need to pay tax to pick it up, they can hold it for weeks before they do this too).

Well, only a week later, much to my surprise, I wake up to find the package has already been delivered, and it was sitting downstairs - no tax at all, despite it being quite over the no-tax threshold.

Now I was confused, as I was taught at an early age not to order stuff online that cost too much, because inevitably the tax would outweigh the cost of getting it overseas for a good price or getting it at all.

This made me really laugh, as not long before another friend of mine ordered a video game machine (Nintendo Wii) for 100USD (he got a good deal apparently, though I don't know why he didn't get it here, and he paid through the nose for his mistake - something like 55% of the cost of the item. Many laughs were had (by me - at him) that day he called to gripe.

What I am getting at with this rambling narrative is that the customs regulations in Thailand are, for lack of a better word, 'fluid', because the customs department is as corrupt as any other institution of government in this place.

The actual customs 'fine print' is fairly ambiguous on the subject of classifying items for taxing, and that's because it generally amounts to an arbitrary exercise by the customs agents on the day - they will charge you what they want to charge you, what they think the item is worth (nothing to do with stated price) and if you have a foreign name god help you, you will pay in great excess.

Reason? Everyone gets a cut in the office; this corruption is all quite organised, you know - now isn't that a great irony? When everything else in the country is messy and without order the stealing is all done quite efficiently.

So, when ordering stuff into Thailand, you have to follow your own general guidelines.

For one, toy soldiers can cost the earth, but will probably not be taxed because the guy checking your package doesn't see any worth in them. Foreign books? Nope, mr.customs man might not see any value in that either, even if the whole package costs 300USD.

A pair of 'designer' sunglasses - Cost: 70 dollars?
    "Now we're talking boys. Hmmm today... I say 40%. Also, look at the name, 'John Smith', decidedly foreign, he can afford it. Add on another 8% - well, what are you waiting for? Tax this bastard up so we can all go home early." - an exaggeration, but you get my drift. I hear horror stories all the time of folks having to pay more than the cost of the item in tax, 'just because' - they complain and don't pay? They go home empty handed.

Nothing that would appear of any value to most people should you have shipped to you. I personally would not have even the most inexpensive watch shipped here, even a 50 buck chinese homage (actually, especially a homage, if it looked like a luxury brand's model you'd be in a world of hurting), not even a cheap swatch - it just wouldn't be worth it.

That leaves the list of 'safe' items rather short. And even then, it's sometimes just luck of the draw, and sometimes, you just might not get anything at all because it has already been filched.

When I do have expensive things sent to me, meaning items I'm absolutely sure that I'll be mauled for, I have them sent to an address in Hong Kong and pick them up when I go there, any other arrangement is just not worth it, and if I absolutely had to, I'd have it shipped to a friend of mine who has a thai sounding name. (The 'toy soldiers' were an experiment, so far so good, but maybe I'll just have an unlucky day)

Don't even get me started on big imports (crates etc.), there the only solution is to bribe your way out; only bubs and really gullible wet-behind-the-ears types pay those taxes, much to the amusement no doubt of all involved - it's just the way things are around here.

If you believe the customs duties you have to pay are unfair, lobby your government.
    Lobby the government? Ha! Would there be any sense going to the umpire for match fixing if you knew he was in on it too?

So, I can understand fully why this guy wants the seller to do what he has stated, also why he wants the two separate packages - a separate watch just might garner less attention than one that comes in a pretty box. If his name is Thai, he'll get away with less of a robbery than others. In the end of course it's obviously the sellers choice whether or not the risk is worth his efforts.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I type this waffling ramble only to explain why people may do the things they do here, for you see, things don't work like they do in other, more stable countries; we need to use every trick in the book because the game was rigged long before we even started playing.

You ever wonder if he's asking for an empty box so he can claim he received and "empty" box and therefor was scammed? Never underestimate criminals.

Sounds fishy to me.
    IWC BP 5004
    IWC Aquatimer 3568-02

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    I would NOT do that. I am no expert on international mail fraud. but it appears he is scamming his own government, and lord only knows what that will lead you into should they find out about it.
    The OP is in Chicago. The Thai government has no jurisdiction over him. Do you think they would send a Thai assassin/tax collector on a special ops mission to Illinois? If they did, what type of watch would the Thai assassin/tax collector wear?

Nothing about the request looks suspect to me. The buyer is trying to avoid a mugging from his government. Obviously, the watch shouldn't be shipped until the funds clear.

Exclusively chronographs with rotating bezel and date.
    ______
    U-Boat U-42 Chrono 47mm
    Tutima Flieger Chronograph F2 UTC
    Breitling for ​Bentley Supersports Light Body
    Breitling for Bentley GT
    Breitling Navitimer World
    Breitling Montbrillant Datora
    Breitling Avenger Skyland GreySteel Mod
    Breitling Navitimer 50th Anniversary
    Sinn 900 Flieger
    Sinn 900 S Black Flieger
    Glycine Lagunare Chrono L1000