Soprod A10 Movements? Experience and Pricing Info?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Soprod A10 Movements? Experience and Pricing Info?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soprod A10 Movements? Experience and Pricing Info?

Just learned about the existence of the Soprod A10 movements from a FS thread. I did some research and from what I can gather. People are saying very good things about it.

I am just wondering if anyone who owns one can comment on their Soprod A10 vs a ETA 2893. I learned from anther post that Soprod used to do modification for ETA. So are the A10 movement an exact clone of the 2893? Or is there actually some design difference?

Retail price range of the A10 watches seem to be all over the place. From a little under 1K to 4K. I can not locate bare movements for sale anywhere. Anyone know a source for them?
    Rolex Explorer II, Rolex Sub 16610, Rolex Speedking, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega 1930s Deco, Breitling Avenger, Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic, PAM 111, Movado WWII Bumper, Gruen 1930s Tonneau, Poljot Mechanical Alarm Caliber 2612, & Chrono 3133, Tudor Prince Oysterdate, Debaufre GMT Ocean 2893-2, Movado Kingmatic, Sea-gull 1963 Re-issue, Marathon GSAR, Tissot T-Touch, Steinhart SAWLE, Sea-gull ST8000SK Skeleton, Seiko 7002, Parnis Portuguese ST25, Orient Worldtimer, Orient Retro Camera, Orient Mako, Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Airking, Vostok Amphibia, Tudor Submariner, Sea-gull M199S, Seagull ST5 Export, Bulova Accutron Spaceview 214, Omega Constellation Pie Pan, Beijing Galaxy GMT

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Soprod A10 Movements? Experience and Pricing Info?

Quote Originally Posted by aratron View Post
    Just learned about the existence of the Soprod A10 movements from a FS thread. I did some research and from what I can gather. People are saying very good things about it.

I am just wondering if anyone who owns one can comment on their Soprod A10 vs a ETA 2893. I learned from anther post that Soprod used to do modification for ETA. So are the A10 movement an exact clone of the 2893? Or is there actually some design difference?

Retail price range of the A10 watches seem to be all over the place. From a little under 1K to 4K. I can not locate bare movements for sale anywhere. Anyone know a source for them?
    My only useful comment is that the A-10 has a distinctly different layout from the ETA so can be presumed to be a completely original design.

My less useful comment is that I too have heard good things said of it.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

There is a Stowa Marine Auto A 10 with silver dial and A 10 in the pipeline.

Both versions of the Stowa Marine Auto A-10 (date / no date) are powered by a Soprod A-10 (SOP A-10) movement which is not as high as an ETA 2824-2 so I dare to say that the use of the SOP A-10 is a benefit to the classic design of the Marine.

Pic courtesy of Jörg:

The next three pics have been taken at Baselworld at the Soprod booth (not that big as ETA but quite interesting and informative).

Soprod exhibited the A-10 Base as well as a Big Date modification (see specs)

I went to the Soprod booth to get some more information first hand. The first thing I found out is that the SOP A-10 is much more expensive than an ETA 2824-2. This for sure has an impact on the pricing of the new Stowa Marine Auto A 10.

Specifications:
    Soprod Alternance 10 (SOP A 10)
    11 1/2 lines
    Diameter: 25.60mm
    Height: 3,60 mm without hand fitting
    Base: 3 hands out of the center
    Date window: 3 o`clock
    Handling & corrections:
    a) manual wind up possible
    b) fast date correction
    c) stop-second
    25 jewels
    Frequency 28.800 b/h
    Power Reserve: about 42h
    Winding: bi-directional
    Adjusted: 4 positions

Additional cost:

COSC certification on request
    Decoration on choice: circular grained, Geneva stripes, circular stripes
    Finish on choice: Rhodium plating, gilt

Modifications:

- Visible Balance (SOP A 10 BV)

- Big Date, second time zone on sub dial (SOP 9351 / A 10)

Soprod A10. (there are more threads on WUS to be read....)
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; September 4th, 2015 at 18:42.
    drummer13 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

Completely different designs.... that is true, I did not realized until seeing the layout side by side

And thanks mike for your thorough input. I guess the A10 is designed to be an interchangeable 2893 replacement but it does have many differences.

Just from the two pictures, you can see the balance bridge and regulator is in completely different position.
    Rolex Explorer II, Rolex Sub 16610, Rolex Speedking, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega 1930s Deco, Breitling Avenger, Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic, PAM 111, Movado WWII Bumper, Gruen 1930s Tonneau, Poljot Mechanical Alarm Caliber 2612, & Chrono 3133, Tudor Prince Oysterdate, Debaufre GMT Ocean 2893-2, Movado Kingmatic, Sea-gull 1963 Re-issue, Marathon GSAR, Tissot T-Touch, Steinhart SAWLE, Sea-gull ST8000SK Skeleton, Seiko 7002, Parnis Portuguese ST25, Orient Worldtimer, Orient Retro Camera, Orient Mako, Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Airking, Vostok Amphibia, Tudor Submariner, Sea-gull M199S, Seagull ST5 Export, Bulova Accutron Spaceview 214, Omega Constellation Pie Pan, Beijing Galaxy GMT

I like the movement a lot, though I am yet to work on it under a loup.
    It certainly seems to be well finished and keep great time. Long lead times on orders from the factory, but then so is every movement.
    They do cost more than the 289X, and are a different movement as has been pointed out. They do however drop straight in to replace the 289X using the existing movement ring.
    I do know a broker, though I am dealing with Soprod direct. PM me with details of what you want exactly, and I will gladly point you in the right direction.
    Hidden Content
    Rome was not built in a day, but i was not on that job!

Edited by mod: Post deleted. No such posts on any of our regular fora. Please read our rules & guidelines prior to posting. Thank you.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; September 13th, 2014 at 20:06.

Hi everyone I am new here , I just started my own watch company and I need some help locating soprod movement dealers ( if any ) that are willing to sell in small quantities.

Thanks,

The Soprod A-10 is a completely different design from the ETA 2892 although they share the same characteristics.

The Soprod A-10 is actually an old Seiko Movement (4L25 I believe) that was used in Credor/GS watches in years gone by, the Swiss company Festina bought the designs and it is now known as Soprod A-10.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I do not know of any dealer. You need to contact Soprod I am afraid. in 2013 min. order was 1000 pcs iirc.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

Banned
    I've contacted Soprod about movement sourcing.

They do not technically have a minimum order quantity (MOQ), buuuut... They have significant fees for low volume orders.

With the base A10-2 it is 5000chf for less than 1000 units.

For modules with complications, which includes the visible balance and skeleton versions, it is 2000chf for less than 200 units.

Just to be extra clear, these are not minimum order values, these prices are added on top of your total order if you don't meet the MOQ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information