Swatch to stop selling ETA movements to outside companies in 2010???

Thread: Swatch to stop selling ETA movements to outside companies in 2010???

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Swatch to stop selling ETA movements to outside companies in 2010???

I just received the Steinhart e-newsletter today and read that Swatch has announced that it will stop selling its ETA movements to outside companies in 2010. Is this true? If so, what effect will this have on non-Swatch companies (such as Doxa) that rely on ETA movements?

Re: Swatch to stop selling ETA movements to outside companies in 2010???

Quote Originally Posted by roberev
    I just received the Steinhart e-newsletter today and read that Swatch has announced that it will stop selling its ETA movements to outside companies in 2010. Is this true? If so, what effect will this have on non-Swatch companies (such as Doxa) that rely on ETA movements?
    This seems to be true and it is not the first time I read this in the past few weeks also according to a press release published in this month's Europastar, DOXA has started preparing to manufacture their own calibers in cooperation with different suppliers, I am just guessing here, they can only be 28XX derivates.weltmeister

stuffler,mike

Why should a newsletter lie ? I´ll report later on that issue.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; October 17th, 2006 at 19:07.

?????

I don't know if I'd have to cry or to laugh....

Many small watchcompanies will have to stop producing, some other will have to develop some in-house movements in order to survive...

Probably the average quality level will increase, but surely the cost of all watches will increase as well....
    Last edited by rouge; October 17th, 2006 at 18:16.
    Ugo

"God does not play dices with the universe."
    (Albert Einstein)

stuffler,mike

This "story" goes back to summer 2002, when Swatch announced that they would gradually reduce delivery of ETA-ébauches to customers outside the Swatch Group and that such sales would be completely stopped by the end of 2005.
    The Swiss Federal Committee for Fair Trading (WeKo)was activated by some of the customers claiming an illicit use of a position of power by the Swatch Group.
    In winter 2004 an agreement was reached between ETA and the WeKo.
    ETA agreed to continue delivery of their movements until 2010, but the numbers will be gradually decreased. Based on the average number of movements that a customer had bought between 1999 and 2001 as a reference, Eta will only deliver 85 % of the reference figure in 2008, 50 % in 2009, and 25 % in 2010. Price increases are only allowed in the range of the inflation rate.

Here´s the agreement (PDF, sorry only in German): http://www.weko.admin.ch/publikation...PHPSESSID=951c...

Asked whether they would continue to buy Eta movements if the prices will increase w.g. Breitling answered “Yes, we have no alternative,” and Dubois-Depraz even stated that they “would continue to buy ébauches from ETA even if the prices will climb up to 200 % or more, because there is no alternative.”
    For the customer, the result is simple: Prices for mechanical watches will continue to go up.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by weltmeister
    Excuse me, ? are you talking to me?weltmeister
    No! If you are using the display mode "hybride" you´ll easily see I was talking to poster no. 1 (roberev). but I have to admit I mixed up "swatch" and "swiss". My mistake. Sorry for that. I already deleted/edited the nonsense I posted.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; October 17th, 2006 at 19:07.

Mike, could this be a start for many brands to develop in-house calibres?
    My thinking is that internal development costs could become competitive, if compared with the increased cost of ebauches purchased from ETA.
    It could be that many watchmakers will make joint-ventures for developing and producing calibres.

In any case, the cost of watches will increase....
    What is your opinion?
    Thanks.
    Ugo

"God does not play dices with the universe."
    (Albert Einstein)

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by rouge
    Mike, could this be a start for many brands to develop in-house calibres?
    My thinking is that internal development costs could become competitive, if compared with the increased cost of ebauches purchased from ETA.
    It could be that many watchmakers will make joint-ventures for developing and producing calibres.

In any case, the cost of watches will increase....
    What is your opinion?
    Thanks.
    Well, the development of a new movement will cost a lot (up to a million Euro). As we all know Progress tried and failed in 2005, so joint-ventures seem to be an appropriate way to solve the problem.
    BTW: Joint-ventures aren´t that new - remember the Buren 12 caliber.

On Baselworld 2006 some new movements showed up. I am curious how Baselworld 2007 will react ! I´ll be there

Buy stock in sellita.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

North 36° 52' 2.1786", West 76° 19' 54.3396"

I'll bet there is rejoicing in China on the day Swatch stops exporting movements to Singapore and Hong Kong. There are many little watch casing companies that cannot afford to buy ETA if the price goes up and will turn to the Chinese watch industry.

Swatch may have shot themselves in the knee, as this decision will only strengthen the Chinese movement industry.

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast