Swiss Army Classic Crystal replacement questions

Thread: Swiss Army Classic Crystal replacement questions

-->

Swiss Army Classic Crystal replacement questions

All,
    I have a classic swiss army watch that I bought in the early 90's. I wore it during military training and it took quite a beating. It is now a little too ratty to wear in public. I understand to replace the crystal the case must be replaced. I was hoping to confirm this information. It would be nice to get an idea of how much this will cost. I would appreciate a recommendation for someone able to work on swiss army stuff. I have asked many jewelers to take on the job and they don't want any part of it. I have called on jeweler from the swiss army site in the DC area and they wont give me any information without seeing the watch.
    Thanks

Re: Swiss Army Classic Crystal replacement questions

Avoid jewelers, look for a good watchmaker and it'll run about 40 - 60 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bygbyrrd View Post
    All,
    I have a classic swiss army watch that I bought in the early 90's. I wore it during military training and it took quite a beating. It is now a little too ratty to wear in public. I understand to replace the crystal the case must be replaced. I was hoping to confirm this information. It would be nice to get an idea of how much this will cost. I would appreciate a recommendation for someone able to work on swiss army stuff. I have asked many jewelers to take on the job and they don't want any part of it. I have called on jeweler from the swiss army site in the DC area and they wont give me any information without seeing the watch.
    Thanks
    I want to be sure I understand your question. You are asking whether the case has to be replaced when the crystal is replaced - right? Not in my experience unless the stainless steel case is really beat up and beyond buffing and polishing.

If it is really that bad then you should look for a new watch. Otherwise you should look for another watch repair shop.

A watchmaker switched out the mineral crystal for a sapphire one on my Victorinox Swiss Army Cavalry (1993) for about $60 about two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bygbyrrd
    I have asked many jewelers to take on the job and they don't want any part of it.
    Seriously, don't bother with those snobs.
    Last edited by dkouzou; December 22nd, 2010 at 09:53.

Thanks for the replies. The case on my classic is a black composite. I have been told the crystal can't be replaced without replacing the entire case. Even if the crystal could be replaced the black bezel is banged up also. I tried to get just a bezel and a crystal a while back and it didn't seem possible to order just these parts. I could really use a recommendation for someone who works on these watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bygbyrrd View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The case on my classic is a black composite. I have been told the crystal can't be replaced without replacing the entire case. Even if the crystal could be replaced the black bezel is banged up also. I tried to get just a bezel and a crystal a while back and it didn't seem possible to order just these parts. I could really use a recommendation for someone who works on these watches.
    I suspect that it uses a quartz movement in that composite case and was not a very expensive watch. My recommendation would be to take the money you would spend on replacing many damaged parts and put it toward a nice new watch. Unless you replace all of the well worn parts the new ones will stand out like a sore thumb.

I am sure you are correct. However I have had the watch a long time and will search until I can find someone who will help me restore it's appearance. New models are pricey and I rarely see the black bezel with the white face stocked at jewelers. I have heard it said about these watches that they far exceeded the manufacture's expectations. I have had mine for nearly 20 with flawless operation.

EHV

If you are set on keeping the watch and want it restored, maybe contact Victorinox directly through their website and if the parts are still available. If so,maybe they could send them to you and a watchmaker of your choice can help install them.
    There are also excellent watchmakers that you can mail the watch to that can help if you can't find anyone locally to take care of it. Several of them are frequently mentioned here.

Thread Information