Swiss Army vs. Wenger vs. Victornox

Thread: Swiss Army vs. Wenger vs. Victornox

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Swiss Army vs. Wenger vs. Victornox

Hello everybody, I'am new to watchuseek - signed up last week. I'am like everyone else I have a passion for watches and collect what I like and can afford. I find all the forum discussions informative and look forward to being involved. Anyway my question is what is the big difference between - Swiss Army, Wenger and Victornox? Is any one a better quality watch - movement, material used, accuracy, etc.. It seems that Swiss Army demands a higher price for their line of watches why is that? Noblius 1

Inactive

Re: Swiss Army vs. Wenger vs. Victornox

Victorinox is swiss army. wenger isn't so really only 2 brands here.
    The company from which Wenger emerged had been a supplier to the Swiss Army as early as 1893, and its sister-company, Victorinox, since 1890. Wenger is in the French-speaking Jura region and its competitor is in the German-speaking canton of Schwyz. To avoid friction between the two cantons, the Swiss Government decided in 1908 to use each supplier for half of its requirements. So Victorinox can lay claim to being the “original”, Wenger can state its Swiss Army Knives are the “genuine”. In any case, both have been manufacturing Swiss Army Knives for over 100 years and both must meet identical specifications defined by the Swiss Army.

Thanks for that history lesson Yamahaki, I appreciate it. But I still would like to know what watch - Wenger or Swiss Army is the better of the two, when you compare like models. Quartz vs. Quartz and Auto vs. Auto. Thanks, Noblius 1

stuffler,mike

If there is a difference the difference is marginal. They source the same movements, some hands and cases also look very similar too me.

Read this thread:

Swiss Army, Victorinox, wenger...what does it all mean????

Basically in todays world Victorinox (Swiss Army) and Wenger (Swiss Military) are both owned by Victorinox. (last 3 years) Swiss Army is moving up scale and Wenger is the more affordable brand. The above thread answers most of the questions. Other brands can use the Swiss Military on dial depending on country. Only Victorinox can use 'Swiss Army'.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Inactive

I've found that the victorinox seems to be better when moving to the unitas and eta movements while wenger ends up being more into the quartz end with less expensive watches. swiss armys mach series is very good, like the mach 4 and 6. then they started using the larger eta movements for the larger cases. those are the valgrange movements. like whats in the alpanach.

To make things even more confusing, there's also SMW or Swiss Military Watch, which isn't made in Switzerland at all except for the movement. It's a line of watches made by KHS in Germany.

Within the last couple of years Victorinox has gone up-market (some models costing thousands of $'s), while Wenger is entry-level. Without picking a specific model, I'd say Victorinox is better.
    I'd guess the bottom of the Victorinox would be similar to Wenger.

I never understood all this focus on the swiss military amongst watch brands. I mean they all want to imply that they are the watches used by the army of a neutral country that is best known for these guys?

Just kidding everyone. I know there is a difference.

Inactive

who better to guard the Vatican than the swiss court jesters? those outfits rock.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information