Is there a chart of features for different movements?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is there a chart of features for different movements?

-->
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is there a chart of features for different movements?

Greetings!

I have been lurking for a bit and just now registered. A little over two years ago I promised to buy a long-term watch when my graduate studies complete, which will happen this summer. I have been looking for the perfect watch for me, but so far have only been able to articulate what I want in a watch. Ironically, price does not factor much into the decision. So let me pick your brain a little.

What I am looking for:

1. Analog (digital insets may be ok)
    2. Bracelet
    3. Silver or gray bracelet and case (no gold accents or black)
    4. Attractive (I know this is subjective)
    5. Quartz
    6. Rather durable and hard to kill
    7. Second hand
    8. Perpetual calendar
    9. Simultaneous display of day of week and date of month (bonus points if month is also displayed)
    10. Stopwatch / chronograph
    11. One or more countdown timers
    12. One or more alarms
    13. Backlight
    14. Lume
    15. Self charging (solar, kinetic or other)
    16. Power reserve indicator
    17. Self setting (atomic, GPS, bluetooth, wifi, or even magic pixie dust -- it doesn't matter)
    18. Thinner is better
    19. Probably prefer titanium to steel
    20. Sapphire crystal
    21. Water resistant to 200 meters (although 100 is probably sufficient)
    22. Handle multiple timezones

Pretty much, all I want is an attractive (no bling), durable, zero-maintenance analog bracelet watch with a backlight and a second hand. I can find a grand total of zero watches which can do the job. Probably, I am just not looking in the right places. So far I have found a few candidates but they are all lacking in some way.

The Citizen AT4010-50E had my eye.

Citizen AT4010-50E Review

But it lacks a backlight.

The Casio MTG-1500 looks good.

Casio G-Shock MTG-1500-1AJF Watch Review - Reviewboard Magazine

But it has plastic all over and brags too much on the bezel. It also lacks a second hand.

Is there a decent watch out there which can do the job? I figured I would start with a table of movements and features, but even that is becoming difficult to find.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marty

Re: Is there a chart of features for different movements?

Given your feature list there are a ton of JDM Citizen and Seiko models that would fit your criteria. You might want to ask in that forum too.

The all-analog version of that Casio you are looking at was my first "real" watch that didn't come from Wal-Mart, and it's an awesome machine. Unfortunately it's also REALLY thick to the point where it doesn't fit under my dress shirt cuffs at all. That's probably a good thing because it's entirely inappropriate for anything above business casual if you care about that sort of thing. (Disregard if you're an engineer). Mine has the same case and bracelet though. It's amazingly comfortable. It's a good weight, well-rounded links, no rattle because of all the plastic, and the caseback is a solid slab of metal, which I think feels better on my wrist than screw-on casebacks. (Blasphemy, I know.)

Citizen is better for versatile watches, but if you want titanium and/or sapphire, you're going to have to import one from Japan. Here in the US you're going to find steel and mineral glass. Look at just about any Citizen with A-T in its name and you'll probably find it fits the bill.

Check out the Casio Oceanus line too if you want something styled more like Citizens. I think it might be discontinued, but there's plenty of old stock out there.
    Profile pending moderation.

Thanks for the reply. You have me curious about your appropriateness comment. Can you expand on that?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

That's quite a list you've got there. How about this?
    TISSOT T-TOUCH CLASSIC - T083.420.11.057.00 - Tissot Swiss Watches

Name:  tissot-t-touch-classic-t083.420.11.057.00.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  212.4 KB

I dunno if it ticks all your boxes, but it has 2 timers, alarm, split chronograph, high/low tide, compass...I don't know about a perpetual/full calendar, etc but an e-mail to Tissot would clear that up for you.
    Good luck.

Look at Casio Waveceptor watches. I think you'll find most of your features in them at a low price.

Casio Wave Ceptor Watches

Casio, Edifice or Oceanus, Lots of Citizen Eco-Drives, and some Seiko's as well are all good choices.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

TAG AQUATIMER ...BREITLING AEROSPACE
    Last edited by u2bdet; January 6th, 2014 at 23:08.

CURRENT STABLE :under SERIOUS re- construction

"All we got is Time and Money ...when we run out of Money we still got Time ....Hello Mr. Nice Watch" J.Cole

I think this checks off almost all the boxes. Citizen Atessa Eco-Drive ATV53-3023 analog-digital chronograph with 4 area Radio Controlled reception (North America, Europe, China, Japan).

There is also an all analog version. See discussion here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/atv53-3023-vs-by0040-51f-545570.html
    Last edited by Totoro66; January 6th, 2014 at 23:11.
    CitizenM likes this.

Thanks all for the responses. Maybe I'm being too finicky, but then again, I want what I want. I don't know why watch designers refuse to allow the ability to see the hands at night on a solar watch. Maybe wanting a backlight is somehow too lowbrow for a watch. If I could get over my aspirations to use the watch in dimly lit places, I can find lots of options.

I know, I know, there is lume. If I need to know the time in a dimly lit place where the lume has not been charged, I can always leave the area, go find sunshine, a bright light or a UV flashlight and see my watch.

Or I could just have a backlight.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Marty View Post
    Thanks for the reply. You have me curious about your appropriateness comment. Can you expand on that?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    There's a big thread on it, but basically most of us can pretty much agree that some watches are good with a suit and tie while others might be out of place. A big, chunky G-Shock or a really cheap plastic digital might not work well with a suit, while a two-handed gold dress watch doesn't fit in with swim trunks. In general, a steel three-handed watch or chrono around 38-42mm in diameter, less than 14mm thick on a bracelet or leather strap is going to probably work for 90% of people in 90% of situations. Something like the Attesa pictured below could easily be your one watch for life and nobody's going to think you're a clown at a wedding or a stick in the mud at the beach.

Of course you're always free to discard any or all of the above. You're an adult, after all.
    Profile pending moderation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information