Is there an universally accepted Diver watch design that's not considered an homage? - Page 13
Like Tree367Likes

Thread: Is there an universally accepted Diver watch design that's not considered an homage?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: Is there an universally accepted Diver watch design that's not considered an homage?

I'm an onlooker and I think you sound like a tool.

Stick to talking about tool watches and stop trying to mock other people in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Is there an universally accepted Diver watch design that's not considered an homage?

Quote Originally Posted by Babalu View Post
    Most (not all) modern diver designs do take queues from the Rolex sub, not really a bad thing since it's the greatest selling diver's watch of all time. I wouldn't say they're homages of the sub, but they definitely take inspiration from it. I would say my Omega SMPc and Seiko MM300 both take some design queues from the Rolex sub, and that's fine. The Rolex sub is a fine looking divers watch, I just can't own one because a Rolex is likely the only watch brand my wife knows is crazy expensive lol...
    They take cue from the ISO 6425 standard. Which means that the watch will have a timing bezel, and big lume blobs to achieve low light readability.

Some people consider just having those features to be a Submariner homage but I think that would be stretching it: they just followed the standard.

I finally found a good pic of a 1953 FF which is corrently sold on ebay for a tenth of the price of a 1954 Submariner:

It does have dots, which is not a surprise as both brands were using the same suppliers for cases and dials...not that's anything wrong with that but it would be good to stop perpetrating false myths like "the submariner invented the diver bezel or the dot makers" etc..etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    I'm an onlooker and I think you sound like a tool.

Stick to talking about tool watches and stop trying to mock other people in this thread.

I wrote some posts on this thread hoping they were informative for people who weren't aware of early divers and might be misled by overwhelming misinformation they can find on the net or through other medias.

Talking about tools how to do call somebody who stubbornly repeats the same thing over and over again and doesn't want to hear any other info? For instance you:

regardless of which dive watch was first or most revolutionary, the submariner is the archetype of the dive watch. You think dive watch, you think submariner. Any watch with similar styling to the submariner, the perception by 98% of people will be that it is a homage to the famous submariner (true or not).

There is no similarly well known Archtype of a pilot watches. That's why pilot style watches are not seen as homages.

It's all about perception. Whether popular perception matters, is up to you.

Dude, you missed the point.

The submariner is 'THE' dive watch, regardless of you or my opinion.

It's the reason why we have this thread.
    Last edited by cuthbert; April 30th, 2016 at 15:18.
    _MS_ likes this.

cuthbert, I enjoy your fact-based. logical posts and you are fighting the good fight ... but it is no use, many people have bought into the marketing and need to hold on to it to justify their purchase.

To the comment that the submariner is "THE" dive watch, maybe in 1965, not sure that is the case today. I have a friend who dives, and he laughs when I show him my "dive" watches - he and the people he dives with use digital dive watch computers.

More like "THE" boardroom watch ...
    cuthbert, Sevenmack and _MS_ like this.

Last edited by Swans21; April 30th, 2016 at 16:30. Reason: Deleted duplicate post

The Seiko shrouded divers and BP FF have already been mentioned.
    cuthbert and _MS_ like this.

The History Of Dive Watches | aBlogtoWatch

Actually a pretty well done article, I think.
    Sevenmack and _MS_ like this.

Agree. I bought an Alpina Extreme Sailing watch for a great price and I really like the watch, but I can't get over the fact that the dial and hands are too similar to the Aquatimer. Has me thinking about ditching it for the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
    The History Of Dive Watches | aBlogtoWatch

Actually a pretty well done article, I think.
    Brilliant article, thanks for sharing :)

The iconic and most recognized is the Rolex Sub. Doesn't matter who made it first. It is instantly recognizable as a dive watch. Blancpain and Enicar did a great job and all, but when you think dive watch, it's really the daddy. A fifty fathoms is really a great looking watch, but a sub is balanced, masculine, but not muscle car masculine. No offense to seiko and the rest.
    When I look at a seiko or any of the others, I just see versions of the sub, tuna can included, all nice watches, all follow the formula.. Outer bezel, purposeful dial and hands, waterproof and tough.
    Sevenmack likes this.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast