Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    144

    Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    What would you choose and why?
    Assume they are all preowned, say 2011 models. Am in South Africa so giving rough pricing converted to USD.

    Submariner no date at 6000usd.
    Grand carrera calibre 17 at 3400 usd.
    Breitling colt gmt plus auto. 2000 usd.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1396332421.396100.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  55.2 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1396332443.868398.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  195.4 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1396332464.240359.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  188.4 KB

  2. #2
    Member X2-Elijah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sundsvall, Sweden
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    Hm. Breitlings seem to be chiefly designed to appear ostentatious/imposing/blingy to people who are not watch critics. So that might be best for the raw bang-for-buck impact.
    other than that... The rolex badge might be a big factor, alas.

    (I can't really value the impact on you, because I don't know your preferences and thoughts about watch stuff - I can only estimate influence on the "average random person").
    Nokie likes this.
    wat

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    886

    Re: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    i'd say the colt. i don't think the colt falls into the bling side of breitling. just make sure the bracelet is brushed. their bracelets are really comfortable.

    but

    i'd buy the rolex :)

  4. #4
    Moderator Public Forum GlennO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    Since you're buying used and assuming you buy wisely you should get your money back on any of them should you choose to sell. So in the resale sense the bang-for-buck is potentially very similar. Other bang-for-buck variables depend entirely on what you value most, be it brand name, complications (date/chrono), long term service costs etc and only you know the answers to that.

    For me personally, I don't like tachy bezels and the sub is too ubiquitous and I need a date. That only leaves the Breitling which I like the look of and is a respected brand, so in the absence of other choices I'd go with that.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    144

    Re: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    So in terms of the inner mechanisms which is superior? Prob the rolex? But is it twice as superior as the grand carrera?

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,574

    Re: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    I'll have to go with the Submariner among your options. The SubCs are extremely well built.

  7. #7
    Member cedargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,836

    Re: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    We each have our own definition of "bang for buck" as evidenced in a recent thread. My choice of these three would be the Sub.

  8. #8
    Member samsam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    117

    Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    Hm. Breitlings seem to be chiefly designed to appear ostentatious/imposing/blingy to people who are not watch critics. So that might be best for the raw bang-for-buck impact.
    other than that... The rolex badge might be a big factor, alas.

    (I can't really value the impact on you, because I don't know your preferences and thoughts about watch stuff - I can only estimate influence on the "average random person").
    Agree.

    But I may add, the Rolex has the best resale value. Also for a used SubC, 6K is a bit steep (US prices).
    I also feel there is a price increase coming up with Rolex (my guess from new Basel prices).
    Last edited by samsam1; April 1st, 2014 at 13:05.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    144

    Re: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsam1 View Post
    Agree.

    But I may add, the Rolex has the best resale value. Also for a used SubC, 6K is a bit steep (US prices).
    I also feel there is a price increase coming up with Rolex (my guess from new Basel prices).
    What do you think is a decent price on the sub? Very scarce here in sa preowned.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10
    Member samsam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    117

    Re: Which of these gives the most bang for the buck?

    Quote Originally Posted by docjamal View Post
    What do you think is a decent price on the sub? Very scarce here in sa preowned.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    PM sent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •