Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Top swiss watches brands

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Top swiss watches brands

Hello all,
    Can anyone of you help to list what is the top swiss brands watches?
    I know ROLEX, OMEGA, TAG... are good brands, but is CYMA, EDOX, EBEL, TITAN,TITONI all consider top brands?

Re: Top swiss watches brands

Ebel is mid range and considered more of a fashion watch on watch forums, but not with me.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by limcolin View Post
    Hello all,
    Can anyone of you help to list what is the top swiss brands watches?
    I know ROLEX, OMEGA, TAG... are good brands, but is CYMA, EDOX, EBEL, TITAN,TITONI all consider top brands?
    Rolex, Omega, TAG yes; Cyma, Edox, Ebel, Titan (I donīt know), Titoni are not imho.

But top are IWC, JLC, Zenith, Breitling, Bedat, Ulysee Nardin to name some other brands.

A while ago, I looked at various watch forums and at the regular 'top ten' lists. I think I found about thirty lists in an hour. I then combined all the lists into one. I can't remember why I did this - I must have been bored...

Anyway, here's the list (not all Swiss, obviously):

1. Patek Phillippe
    2. Jaeger-LeCoultre
    3. A Lange & Sohne, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet
    7. IWC
    8. Blancpain
    9. Rolex
    10. Glasshutte Original
    11. Girard-Perregaux
    12. Omega
    13. Zenith
    14. Ulysse Nardin
    15. FP Journe
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

It is very difficult to define what top is.
    Is top just because they spend millions in marketing and produce two watches of a series, all completly hand build for the very few, or is top a watch brand that produces close to a million watches with unrivalled quality controll and experience in mass production?
    Or is top the innovators that invent a revolutionary new part of a movement but don't realy get to build it in quantity until a certain mass producer buys it and uses it in all of their movements and products.
    Or is top just a mechanical watch that is sealed to unlimited waterproofness but with no other innovations.
    The real tops in my opinion today are the small companies and there are thousands that supply the Swiss watch trade and that invent new and better products and things every day, which the big fish then bite on, buy and claim as their own! In todays globalised world of mass production and distinct hand made boutique products it is not clear anymore what is top and what is not. All claim to be top of their league but what league?
    Can you messure it in form of how long people are willing to be on a waitlist and wait for a hand made product, or is it just the price.
    I think top is a different thing to everyone; it can be fashion, technology, price, innovation or just bling bling.
    To me top is value for money or get what you pay for and you would need to categorise the different companies to make it fair.
    Sadly in today's world top is, who can spend the most on advertisement, bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    A while ago, I looked at various watch forums and at the regular 'top ten' lists. I think I found about thirty lists in an hour. I then combined all the lists into one. I can't remember why I did this - I must have been bored...

Anyway, here's the list (not all Swiss, obviously):

1. Patek Phillippe
    2. Jaeger-LeCoultre
    3. A Lange & Sohne, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet
    7. IWC
    8. Blancpain
    9. Rolex
    10. Glasshutte Original
    11. Girard-Perregaux
    12. Omega
    13. Zenith
    14. Ulysse Nardin
    15. FP Journe
    I personally would group #2 #3 and #8 into one group, I think they're all pretty equal. #13 should be somewhere in the middle and #12 should be one after Rolex. But it all depends on how you group them.
    -Jarrod

Fantastically put, and quite right...

However, and to my shame, all I could think was bingo = Rolex.

This reminded me somehow of the (product placement) scene in the latest Bond movie in which the Bond girl sees Bond's watch and asks: "Rolex?" Bond flicks an eyebrow and murmers: "Omega".

SO now in my head, the new version goes "bingo" ... "Omega".

I know it isn't funny but I cannot stop smirking!

A more objective look

See chart which is based on Avg MSRP
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by watch-man7777 View Post
    I personally would group #2 #3 and #8 into one group, I think they're all pretty equal. #13 should be somewhere in the middle and #12 should be one after Rolex. But it all depends on how you group them.
    That would be reasonable. This list just represents what internet list-makers were saying on a particular day.

I remember now why I did this little bit of research. I wanted to see what I might buy if I had oodles of money. So I went through the websites of all the 'consensus top 15', and found there were only two watches I liked.

If I were to do something similar with the 'middle' brands, I know there would be dozens.

A pleasing discovery, considering my real-world purchasing power.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Ebel is mid range and considered more of a fashion watch on watch forums, but not with me.
    I think you'll find that Ebel's reputation is slowly turning around. As you know they were once a well respected watch company that lost their way only to be making a great turn around!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information