Thread: Are TW Steel Watches any Good?

Are TW Steel Watches any Good?

Hello friends,

Recently, a nice watch shop opened in my area, they sell pretty nice watches and one of the brands they sell is TW Steel at first glance I didn't like them but they have been growing on me (I pass regularly by that place so I can DROOL in peace ). Misteriously, I searched threads that featured this brand and ZIP!

Can somebody tell me if they are any good? What movement do they use and if you recommend them.

Thanks for the info!

Ricardo
    Live life to the fullest.. remember, every second counts!!!!

Collection:
    Ω Seamaster Bond 2541.80 | Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAN2110 | Tissot Seastar 660 Chrono
    | Hamilton Khaki E.T.O. | Casio G-Shock DW6900

Re: Are TW Steel Watches any Good?

You will not find much mention of brands like this one on most of the watch forums because there are just so many other brands like them. They look like a fairly nice case and have Citizen Miyota movements which are pretty much an industry standard for quartz watches. Similar in design to another more expensive brand called "U-Boat".

If the price is reasonable (I wouldn't pay more than ~$250), and you like the design, they will probably be as reliable as any other and serve you well. And that is the problem. A five dollar Hello Kitty quartz watch will last you for years and be as accurate as any other watch you could purchase no matter the price. And typically more "long term" accurate than any mechanical watch. (Mechanical watches are usually considered more accurate over a short period of time because they break up seconds into smaller units than quartz watches.)

Quartz watches are so ubiquitous that few are followed on any of the watch collector boards. An exception are "high end" quartz watches. Most boards will have a forum dedicated to these models and there is one here. These models typically have some unique technology incorporated into them that make them of interest to collectors. And they can cost a couple of thousand hence the "high end".

Hope that helps.

-T
    Benzinger Custom Skeletonized Star movement.

So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

It's really interesting to see it that way. Since I posted I've been reading about the brand and realized a couple of things:
    1. It's an expensive brand considering their movements are Quartz.
    2. They don't use sapphire glass.
    3. Their price range starts at the $350 mark which for me is expensive.
    Considering all of this I think i'll pass on this brand.

Collection:
    Ω Seamaster Bond 2541.80 | Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAN2110 | Tissot Seastar 660 Chrono

Hope I didn't deflate your dreams!

If you like the style but want a more reasonable price, you might consider looking into Tauchmeister watches. I know Long Island Watches sell them and I think they sell them direct as well on their company site. They are pretty reasonably priced.

Again a very similar design that mimics U-Boat (I think U-Boat was the first one with that crown "hatch" design but don't quote me on that) but uses Ronda movements. Ronda is pretty much the Swiss equivalent of the Japanese Miyota brand movements.

Of course you could always save your money for an actual U-Boat and then brag some when you get one!

Have fun with your hunt!

-T
    Benzinger Custom Skeletonized Star movement.

So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

V8

TWsteel watches have been discussed a few times before on the forums, and IIRC the general consesus is they are overpriced, maybe well built and a nicely styled but still, overpriced.

For the money they ask you can get mechanicals from Hamilton, Tissot, Mido, Steinahrt, etc..
    MOTORCITYWATCHWORKS

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Or just bite the bullet and buy the real thing if it is that sort of style you fancy, although all U Boat's are left hookers where as the TW Steels have the crown in the normal side. I have tried a few on and they seem decent watches if a bit overpriced but the same could be said for most of these "fashion" watches

I was overseas this past week and finally got to see some of these in person. I was not too impressed with the case quality, the finishing looked a little cheap.

I agree that those high prices for a Miyota quartz movement and a mineral crystal is a bit much.
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Wow man.. That UBoat looks HUGE!! I think I would need to carry that one in my leg LOL..

I think I'm gonna move on to another brand....

Thanks guys..

-R

Collection:

Thread Information