Like Tree61Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Watch: Versatility

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

The Ultimate Watch: Versatility

I'm sure this has been discussed before, and I am certain most forum regulars think about this often: Is there such a thing as the ultimate watch?

I'm talking about versatility, more than anything else.

Is there a watch that is rugged (and functional) enough to wear while trekking or diving, comfortable enough to be a daily wearer (office and home), dressy enough to be worn while out on the town or at a formal occasion, and timeless (no pun) enough to be worn over many years and through multiple fashion changes?

Rolex Submariner seems to fit that bill. Any others that come to mind?

Name:  150px-Rolex-Submariner.jpg
Views: 5220
Size:  9.5 KB
    Collection: Rolex DateJust, Cartier Santos, JLC Reverso Grande Taille, JLC Master Grande Ultra Thin, Tudor Black Bay Heritage, Longines Legend Diver (no date), Oris TT1 Divers Date, Seiko Orange Monster, Stowa Convertible, Timex Ironman

WTB: A GMT watch (leaning towards Colt GMT or, if I can summon the courage, a Master GMT II)

WnS

Re: The Ultimate Watch: Versatility

My grail and all purpose watch. But I disagree with the word rugged, expensive mechanical watches are not intended for rough activities. Rugged watches are usually quartz with a tough case.

AquaPak, Hammondo and 3th3r like this.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Moderator Public Forum geoffbot's Avatar

Speedy Pro
    Hammondo and CCJ like this.
    Nomos Orion Datum, TAG Carrera, Tissot Visodate, 2012 & 2013 WUS CMW Forum Watch, f71 2013 Forum Watch, 1976 Seiko Bell-Matic

Speedy pro is versatile in terms of its looks, but I wouldn't swim with it.

The new Omega Aqua Terra 8500 can do it all.

Last edited by JarrodS; April 24th, 2012 at 14:26. Reason: added pic
    Hammondo, Perseus, dbakiva and 2 others like this.

The breitling chrono superocean....just about as near to perfect as a watch could be.
    At home on rubber, stainless steel, or as presented in this web image photo; truly a beach to boardroom watch.

Name:  image-2631100050.jpg
Views: 2722
Size:  140.3 KB
    Hammondo and 3th3r like this.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

I agree with Jarrod's line of thinking - it has to be water resistant enough for diving, but also understated enough for formal wear. In that regard, Grand Seiko really shines. The only downside is the 100M water rating compared to 150-200M for a real diver. I'd be willing to trade that in for the extra versatility however since I think the lack of rotating bezel makes it look better with a suit.

Name:  SBGA001-L.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  69.9 KB

Note I like the Aqua Terra as well (I recommended a white dial version in another thread), but in terms of 1 watch versatility I give the nod to the GS' less gimmicky dial and minute hand design
    - Regards, Leonard
    Victorinox DM 500 Quartz Omega Seamaster Professional Ball Fireman Ionosphere Casio Edifice
    Rolex SeaDweller 16600 Hamilton Intramatic 38mm Zeno Pilot XL Skeleton Tag Heuer 2000 (Circa 1990)
    Edox C-1 Quartz Diver Kadloo Match Race Christopher Ward C60

Banned

Any watch can be used in any situations, except that the most extreme watches can not be used in the most extreme situations!

OK?

SMP quartz:

Rugged? quartz diver 300m
    Comfortable? one of the best bracelets available
    Dressy? good enough for Bond and Prince Williams
    Timeless? the design's quite classic

I believe it's a more interesting alternative to the Sub or Sub C (unless you go for the blue Sub C, which is white gold and $25k+)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Michael the Psycho; April 24th, 2012 at 15:03.

Quote Originally Posted by LosTresGatos View Post
    Note I like the Aqua Terra as well (I recommended a white dial version in another thread), but in terms of 1 watch versatility I give the nod to the GS' less gimmicky dial and minute hand design
    I agree with most of what you said, but the lack of lume on this GS makes it less versatile and more dressy.
    LosTresGatos likes this.

I've never liked the look of a Breitling (just my own opinion) for some reason, but you bring up a good point: there are certain watches that do well with diverse bracelets/straps and others that only do one well. Rolex Sub seems mostly to do well with metal/ss. I like that some of the Omegas (PO, SMP, AT) do well with rubber, leather and steel.
    Collection: Rolex DateJust, Cartier Santos, JLC Reverso Grande Taille, JLC Master Grande Ultra Thin, Tudor Black Bay Heritage, Longines Legend Diver (no date), Oris TT1 Divers Date, Seiko Orange Monster, Stowa Convertible, Timex Ironman

WTB: A GMT watch (leaning towards Colt GMT or, if I can summon the courage, a Master GMT II)

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information