WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Under $8k-Rolex Submariner?

22K views 290 replies 45 participants last post by  justinle 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'll try to keep my intro short...
I was soo close to buying myself the Omega Aqua Terra 41mm a couple of weeks ago as a 40th bday present to myself until I got a very unexpected phone-call about an inheritance. I'm still a bit taken back by the whole thing. But, anyway... Despite the amount of money I now have, I'm still putting a cap on how much I want to spend (approx $8k).
I've always wanted a skeleton watch (Arminstrom Gravity & Piaget Altiplano Skeleton are a couple of my favorites). But, to have a great skeleton watch, you need to spend a lot of money & I refuse to spend that kind of money(Not interested in the new Tissot or Maurice Lacroix skeletons). Plus, I would love to have a watch I can throw on when I wake up in the morning & it'll endure every activity I'm involved in with my 3 yr old son so that I don't have to take it off until I go to bed. Timeless & horological significance is very important, too. I want my watch to last several generations in my family.
My question is.... Is the Submariner the watch I'm looking for? Also, is it really worth the money? It's simple and meets all my criteria except for at least having a display back. But most display backs don't show much other than the balance wheel, anyway! ...including the Omega Aqua Terra.
Any help anyone can offer would be great!!
I was considering writing an email/letter to the watchsnob on askmen! Lol I can't tell if it's fake for humor & education sake combined!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are buying this watch with a view towards leaving it for your son, then I would shy away from a skeleton watch as it is much less practical for daily wear, and much more taste specific. The Rolex Submariner is a timeless and iconic watch, and it is robust enough for daily wear. If you only buy one relatively expensive watch, it is an excellent choice.

The Omega Aqua Terra is also a very nice one watch option, but the bracelet is less readily adjustable than the exceptional Glidelock clasp on the Rolex Submariner. Recent reports also suggest that the Omega bracelet is now produced in China to a lower quality standard. If you wish to wear your watch on a bracelet, then the Rolex Submariner is a far superior watch to the Omega Aqua Terra.

The Rolex 3135 movement is perhaps less innovative than the Omega 8500 calibre with its three-level co-axial escapement and silicon hairspring, but it has a time tested design, and the Breguet overcoiled Parachrom hairspring, free-sprung variable inertia balance, and robust and instantaneous date change mechanism is no slouch either. The Rolex also has the added benefit of being serviceable by many independent watchmakers.

#5 ·
If you have to ask if the Sub is worth it, then you may not be ready for it. The AquaTerra is a great watch. There is a currentt thread on here about what WIS consider their top 5 iconic watches. The submariner makes it on more posters lists than other watches. That should tell you something.

oh and even though I have not read that omega thread, I can't imagine omega farming out to China.

Reactions: justinle
#291 ·
If you have to ask if the Sub is worth it, then you may not be ready for it. The AquaTerra is a great watch. There is a currentt thread on here about what WIS consider their top 5 iconic watches. The submariner makes it on more posters lists than other watches. That should tell you something.

oh and even though I have not read that omega thread, I can't imagine omega farming out to China.
i bought myself the 114060 less than a year ago. i am still amazed by it everyday. this watch is far better than i thought it would be. Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

#7 ·
Since you planned in buying the AT, why have you changed your mind? If you really wanted the Sub you'd have been saving for it all along. Sounds like you upped your budget "just because" and not because you were chasing a more expensive watch. If you have to ask if a watch is right for you, it isn't.

Get the AT you wanted and be happy :)

#44 ·
Since you planned in buying the AT, why have you changed your mind? If you really wanted the Sub you'd have been saving for it all along. Sounds like you upped your budget "just because" and not because you were chasing a more expensive watch. If you have to ask if a watch is right for you, it isn't.

Get the AT you wanted and be happy :)
I want to add a respectful dissent on part of this. As the song says, "Money Changes Everything." I don't think it's strange at all that the OP might move his sights up the price ladder a bit because he now has a budget that is significantly beyond what he had before. I'm not "saving for" a VC, but I'd like one, and if I win the lottery, it suddenly becomes an option. The fact that it's not in my plans now does not add any illegitimacy to a later interest in an upscale watch. Please pardon me if I'm missing your point.

#8 ·
Mleok,
I think my whole perception of the Swiss watch industry just crumbled! Should I just get a $400 Seiko? Just kidding! But, my perception has seriously changed!
Interesting you mention that about the Omega Aqua Terra bracelet, though. I was in the Omega Boutique in Westchester not too long ago and as I'm trying on the Skyfall watch, a screw fell out of the bracelet causing the pin to fall out and as a result...the watch fell right off my wrist!! Needless to say, the salesman was very embarrassed and apologetic ...especially after trying to impress my wife and I for an hour with the "Omega Experience" which included serving us champagne! Are all Omega watch bracelets made in China? I guess the important thing is the movement and casing design. But, based on the link you provided, that can be questionable, too!
Is everything necessary to build a Rolex Submariner all built in-house?

#12 ·
Sub no doubt.

If you go with something less, be prepared to eventually flip it and take your $$ loss and then get the Sub. :)

I purchased a high quality display back that was professional install and is great. There are several avail (google it) the one Got has the same size back so it sits just like the original, there are others that will sit higher on your wrist.

Good Luck!

#16 ·
The $400 Seiko would be priced at $1200 if it had a "Swiss" brand name on it.

Assuming it's a Japanese made Seiko it will last as long as any Rolex.

If it's a Chinese made Seiko it will last as long as any Omega.

BTW- Rolex is a privately owned company, so they can publish any quasi-factual propaganda about their products with no fear of repercussion.

#18 ·
The $400 Seiko would be priced at $1200 if it had a "Swiss" brand name on it.

Assuming it's a Japanese made Seiko it will last as long as any Rolex.

If it's a Chinese made Seiko it will last as long as any Omega.

BTW- Rolex is a privately owned company, so they can publish any quasi-factual propaganda about their products with no fear of repercussion.
A Chinese Seiko will last as long as it takes for the warranty to expire.
And Rolex being the most respected watch in the world was earned, propaganda doesn't get you respect......Propaganda gets you a Chinese watch.

#19 ·
This is definitely a lot of info to digest!
So, omega's 8500 movement is more innovative than Rolex's latest. But, Rolex's goal is to have every step within their watches' production process to be in-house.

Would you say it comes down to personal preference when it comes to deciding between the Omega Aqua Terra & the Submariner? Are there any other watches to consider in this price range?

Someone mentioned Glashutte Original. I looked into that watch. But, your right... It's not an everyday watch. I'd be afraid of breaking it, actually. Beautiful, though!... & without a doubt, heirloom worthy & horologically significant!

#21 ·
For me, it boils down to whether you intend to wear the watch on a bracelet. If you do, you'll find after a few weeks of wear what a great joy the Glidelock clasp is, as it ensures that you have a perfect fitting bracelet irrespective of your sodium intake, level of physical exertion, and weather. The lack of microadjustments on the Aqua Terra bracelet is its biggest shortcoming in my opinion. Having said that, this is less of an issue on the Aqua Terra than on the more top heavy Planet Ocean.

#22 ·
Stellite,
Can you send me a link to that thread? I can't seem to find it!
Also, I have to ask if the Submariner is worth it because I'm not going to spend my money on a watch just because it's so well known and highly desirable. I like doing my own research. But, I've done most of my research on watches under $5k up till now because that was all I would allow myself to spend based on my salary. I always refused to spend more. But, with my new found inheritance, I can easily afford an Audimar Piguet Royal Oak and still payoff my mortgage, cover my son's entire future college education, and then some...
But, I honestly don't see any need to spend that much on a watch. I really don't. However, I am ok with raising my budget just a few thousand extra to put myself in Rolex territory ...if their watches really are worth the $ & they aren't all about status.

#23 ·
The only reason why I said that if you have to ask, then maybe it isn't for you to get now is because I made that mistake and got a Sub before I knew what they were. Got rid of it for no reason really and regretted it ever since. It was a 60's model and I wish I still had it. It was well over 20 years old when I got it and it ran perfect. Made me a believer years later. The submariner is a full in house piece that is a great watch with history and top quality. There is a reason why there are so many copies (oh sorry homages :)) made of it. Because it's looks are iconic.

here is the thread:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/list-your-5-most-iconic-watches-here-322146.html

#24 ·
I definitely prefer wearing my watch on a bracelet. I didn't know about those micro adjustments on the Rolex bracelet. I have to say, that's pretty cool! Although, I'm sure the lack of micro-adjustments in the Aqua Terra is something I can easily get used to.
Hmmm, I didn't realize there was so much to consider!

#25 ·
Sorry, I know this doesn't relate directly to the Omega/Rolex discussion but I thought it might be interesting. My brother was stationed on the USS Forrestal back in the mid-1950s. He bought a new Rolex Submariner for $75, which was half of it's list price at the time. He still has it and it still runs great.

#27 · (Edited)
I think the Rolex Sub-C would be a fantastic choice for you. It's very versatile and can be worn with dress or casual. It's tough as hell, and its an iconic legend that will not have gone out of style by the time you pass it on. The new bracelet and clasp are a thing of beauty and really add to the overall comfort of the watch. You can get the no date version for $7500 retail. I would also suggest looking on Rolex Forums. There are several reputable sellers on there that will be able to source you a new one for less, DavidSW to be exact. Good luck with your decision!

#28 ·
Stellite, It's all good. Thank you for the words of wisdom.

Jgeisert, your story is actually very relatable and helpful. I wonder if an Omega Aqua Terra would last that long!

How about the cost & frequency of maintenance? I think the Omega is approx every 8 yrs. Is the Rolex the same? Or does it require maintenance more frequently?

#31 ·
9 years is a long time between maintenance! That's pretty nice!
Sounds like everyone is pro Rolex for the price range I'm willing to spend in! Interesting!

What else makes Rolex horologically significant besides the fact that they invented the oyster case-back & first water-resistant watch? Did they make any significant breakthroughs with any of their movements?

By the way, Sinn is definitely a very respectable brand. But, yes...too much of a tool watch for me. I also don't like how inconvenient it is to get maintenance done on their watches.

#34 ·
Thanks Stellite. Just saw your last post about the Aqua Terra.
I suppose as long as you keep up with the maintenance like your supposed to and replace parts as needed anything will last!

As far as timeless looks, I guess Rolex has proven that one & Omega has yet to prove itself with the Aqua Terra since its new look with the vertical lines is relatively new.

#36 · (Edited)
I suppose as long as you keep up with the maintenance like your supposed to and replace parts as needed anything will last!
Yes, the only caveat is that you'll be stuck with getting your servicing done at Omega for a while, as there are very few independent watchmakers who are trained to service a 8500 movement. A Rolex 3135 movement can however be serviced by many more independent watchmakers.

Mleok, very informative!!
I have a watch dealer by me who is authorized to sell Omega, Breitling, and Rolex. But they're only authorized to do maintenance and repairs on Rolex and Breitling. The jeweler said if I want anything done to an Omega, the watch has to be automatically sent to them. Omega doesn't want any one else working on their watches! Mleok, Could the major differences in the coaxial movement to others as you explained in your last message be why they insist on this? Or am I the only one who has experienced a jeweler saying this?
Yes, the co-axial escapement does require specific training to service it. Independent watchmakers can be trained by Omega to service the 8500 calibre, Al Archer for example has received this training from Omega.

#35 ·
Mleok, very informative!!
I have a watch dealer by me who is authorized to sell Omega, Breitling, and Rolex. But they're only authorized to do maintenance and repairs on Rolex and Breitling. The jeweler said if I want anything done to an Omega, the watch has to be automatically sent to them. Omega doesn't want any one else working on their watches! Mleok, Could the major differences in the coaxial movement to others as you explained in your last message be why they insist on this? Or am I the only one who has experienced a jeweler saying this?

#37 ·
I'm seriously torn between the impressive complexity of the new Omega (despite not quite yet having proven itself) & the beauty/iconic looks/fame/history of the Rolex Submariner!
One thing helped me lean in favor of one, though. I just googled for images of the Rolex Submariner and found a webpage with a few nice pictures. Then, I showed them to my pregnant wife who is half asleep in bed already and she sat up suddenly completely awake and said, "That's a gorgeous watch?! What is that? Is it expensive?" She's never said that about any watch before! In fact, she couldn't care less about them!
Obviously looks aren't everything. But, after learning so much about the only 2 watches worth considering for my purposes (I think?) and then being torn between the 2 overall due to every other aspect, I guess it comes down to looks! I'm going to have to read through everyone's replies a few times, though, to really digest all this info.

Hears another question that can probably start a whole separate discussion in itself...
Due to my long hours at work, my wife working weekends, and (I'll just some it up quick) very few opportunities to get out of the house unless it's going to a playground for my son, how does everyone feel about buying a rolex online? Authenticwatches seems like a pretty legit website for buying online. Granted its gray market shopping. But, I like the idea of not giving the irs any more money then I have to since they rob us all blind as it is & retail prices are so inflated with everything, it's just a joke!

#41 ·
A few things:

1) It comes down to why you want to buy an expensive watch. Only you know the answer to that. With that, whatever your reasoning is, it seems to lean towards the Sub. If I'm correct, then you should get it. I feel you will regret your purchase if you get the Omega which is worse that getting nothing.

2) authentic watches.com? DON'T! I will always recommend buying from an AD. There are others here who disagree. You are gambling going to the grey market which is not advisable. But if you decide to, read all the reviews you can on them and do your research. Read their warranty and conditions. If your budget is 8k, you can afford an AD. You can't afford to get burned. Whatever you decide, stay as far away from AW as possible. I wish you the best.

#38 ·
Another question...
I'm noticing right now that there are 2 versions of the Submariner! The date (model #116610) and no date (model #114060). I think I might prefer the no date version! While comparing pictures of the 2 online, I think i'd prefer a smooth flat crystal as opposed to the bubbled up cyclops for the date. But the difference is $1000 between the 2!! Why is that?? Is the movement in the date version much more superior to the no date version?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.