Thread: USPS Express mail is not next day?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

USPS Express mail is not next day?

What a load of crap. The USPS website states delivery is guarenteed by 3PM, Well not in most the country. It takes 2 days. Why do we pay for USPS govt rip off not overnight mail, when fed ex gets it there on time.

USPS Express mail is a joke!

Re: USPS Express mail is not next day?

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowplow View Post
    What a load of crap. The USPS website states delivery is guarenteed by 3PM, Well not in most the country. It takes 2 days. Why do we pay for USPS govt rip off not overnight mail, when fed ex gets it there on time.

The USPS is no longer government owned , but is now a privately owned company.
    cottontop
    "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed." Curly Howard

The USPS is government owned and operated, just not with taxpayer dollars; it must be entirely self-supporting.

For many packages, the USPS is quicker and cheaper than alternatives (FedEx and UPS). For some, it isn't.

As they say, if you absolutely, positively have to have it there tomorrow morning, in many cases FedEx and other private overnight couriers will be a better way to go than Express Mail. I believe that, in the vast majority of cases, if you get your package to the Post Office early, and it's not going to Hawaii or somewhere in the middle of nowhere, it will be delivered the next day, for a good deal less than FedEx charges.
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

For a one pound package, delivery within 48 hours - $26.30 (USPS), versus $45.25 (FedEx).

If you want it in 24 hours - $54.11 (FedEx)
    If you want it within 12 hours - $92.02 (FedEx)

What's the problem?

And the FedEx charge is a pick up at a FedEx depot, the USPS is delivery to an address.
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

I dont care about the price. If you need something to get there on time, USPS is not the way to go. They state that it is overnight, but in fact it is not?

my understanding is that USPS overnights to densely populated areas (larger cities). It's misleading to call it overnight shipping when many zip codes are excluded (or at least not guaranteed overnight).

It does clearly say on most locations, not all.

Express Mail® is our fastest service for time-sensitive letters, documents or merchandise. Guaranteed overnight delivery to most locations or your money back.

You also have to send it before 3PM Pacific time (this might depend on your post office) to guarantee arrival the next day before 3PM. You can verify this on the counter when you pay for it. You can ask and they will tell you if it will arrive by the next day. If they said/promise it will but didn't, get your money back.

If you paid postage online and brought it to the facility late, again after 3pm Pacific time, then that might have been why it didn't make it the next day.
    Probus Scafusia

A company I used to work for did a lot of jobs for bulk mail and air mail facilities. The things we saw would curl your hairs. My boss at the time summed it up nicely: "You are amazed that a stamp is as cheap as it is, and you're amazed that anything ever gets where it's supposed to."

I won't go into specifics, but I will share a memo posted on a bulletin board maybe 12 years ago:
    "If you did not receive your pay for Richard Nixon Mourning Day, see your shop steward."

For all it's waste, top heavy management, foolish union rules etc., the USPS is still one of the best in the world. Imagine what could be if it were competently run.
    Praise without end for the go ahead zeal
    Of whoever it was invented the wheel;
    But never a word for the poor soul's sake
    That thought ahead, and invented the brake

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Why do we pay for USPS govt rip off not overnight mail, when fed ex gets it there on time.
    I dont care about the price. If you need something to get there on time, USPS is not the way to go. They state that it is overnight, but in fact it is not?
    Almost half the price for 2 day delivery, hardly a rip-off.

FedEx and UPS leave expensive watches on my front porch without ringing the bell or knocking on the door, USPS puts them safely in a locked box that only I have the key to (my PO Bx), hardly a rip-off. Seeing as most of these watches aren't mine, I don't use anyone but USPS.

I guess I'm more interested that the stuff makes it to me than how long it takes to get here....
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Ozy

Whinge. The USPS website. Why do we pay for USPS. whinge
    Whinge! USPS Express mail is a joke!

USPS - Customer Service
    <LI class=fontStyleK>How do I file a complaint or get general assistance?

For general assistance or complaints, please contact us at 1-800-ASK-USPS or via email. Agents are available M-F 8am -8:30pm ET, Sat 8am - 6pm ET. Learn more >
    Pavo absolutus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information