Thread: USPS tracking down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USPS tracking down?

I know the USPS tracking system is virtually worthless, but has anyone else had the message for the past several days that the website is "temporarily unavailable"?

This always seems to happen when I've got something incoming...
    Current: Rolex Datejust; Omega Speedmaster Professional; Seiko Sumo; Casio GW-M5600; MkII Vantage; Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Re: USPS tracking down?

I've noticed the same thing, as I too have something incoming.

Yes.

I called the usps toll free number and was told that no one knows how much longer it will be down.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Yes.

I called the usps toll free number and was told that no one knows how much longer it will be down.
    That sounds about right.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Doesn't matter anyways, because as you mentioned, tracking is usually useless and gets updated too infrequently.

USPS tracking actually is worth than worthless, because they raise the expectation that you'll be able to follow your package (like, for instance, UPS), but they provide no useful information.

The system being down is better than the system not being down, IMO. They should either make the system useful, or not pretend that it is useful.
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

I use it most often with Priority Mail delivery confirmation. The few times I've used it for tracking Express packages, it's kind of pointless because Express is delivered the next day. Again, useful only for deliverity confirmation.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX025
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger auto COSC
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425

The tracking information is generally worthless, but in my case I'm waiting on a shipment from Hong Kong and would like to know if the item's cleared customs or not. The tracking site from Hong Kong is also pretty darn useless as well.

I agree that the tracking website makes the wait even worse than not having one at all, though!
    Current: Rolex Datejust; Omega Speedmaster Professional; Seiko Sumo; Casio GW-M5600; MkII Vantage; Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

I am surprised to hear this of people's experience with USPS "tracking" function.

I found that for MOST part it was quite informative and timely.

I mean, it lagged by couple of hours at most IMHO.

Too bad that it is down as I am going to be sending out a package via express tomorrow and would love to track it.
    Chronic flipper...

Well, after being down for over 48 hours, USPS tracking is up again as of 10 minutes ago. But the "system upgrade" seems to have had no effect at all - same old page and the information displayed for the shipments I currently do track has not been updated.

Edited: 3 hours after my post USPS tracking is down again.

General remarks about USPS, as a frequent shipper:
    For international incoming express shipments (and with limitations also registered air mail) USPS' tracking was actually very good until about 8 weeks ago - when the information updates started to become available erratically, very slow - the info provided was many hours old (up to 24 hours late).

-> Before that the info provided was available online about 2 to 4 hours after a tracking event. That was slow, but just acceptable.

Interesting on the side:
    The information was actually in the system at the very minute a tracking event has happened (e.g "out of customs") - and it was submitted same time to a foreign mail provider (e.g. HK Post).
    Thus one could track faster and better using the shipper's mail provider instead of using USPS. Unfortunately this timely submitting of information has also stopped about 8 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by johnchoe View Post
    The tracking information is generally worthless, but in my case I'm waiting on a shipment from Hong Kong and would like to know if the item's cleared customs or not. The tracking site from Hong Kong is also pretty darn useless as well.
    I have to completely disagree to the statement about the Hong Kong Post tracking. Hong Kong Post's tracking is much better than USPS's tracking. All information is available online at the very minute a tracking event has happened (e.g. "shipped"). As long as the shipment is still in Hong Kong and tracked directly by HK Post.

But - that's important: As soon as the shipment has left Hong Kong, HK Post relies in information submitted by USPS. If USPS does not submit this information to HK Post in time, HK Post can not display it. Simple as that.

So the "useless" in that case goes directly back to USPS' tracking system as well.

By comparison: The state of USPS' mail tracking system is currently as bad as China Post was about 10 years ago - so instead of "Moving forward in the 21st Century" as stated on one of USPS' corporate information pages, USPS actually appears to be "Moving backward into the 20th Century".
    Last edited by cnmark; October 13th, 2009 at 08:36. Reason: Updated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information