Veterans,what did you take to the sandbox?

Thread: Veterans,what did you take to the sandbox?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Veterans,what did you take to the sandbox?

What watches did you take to Afghanistan Iraq or Kuwait etc.How did you use them how did they work.My initial plan was to take three, one tough solar( never have to worry about batteries) one dual Time( Time at home and my location) with alarm( Wakey wakey) and stopwatch ( I haven't come up with a ratiolaization for that)and one digital( beater for wear in a sandstorm ) .Am I being excessive?I may buy a three time zone dakota clip watch with alarm it is aluminium cased with a light.(How does aluminium react to copious amounts of sweat?) If I buy the Dakota I can probably get by with one other watch or maybe I don't even need another..If I don't buy the Dakota ,I can get by with the dual time with alarm and stop and a beater.What are your recommendations? -------Please give a comprehensive answer.I really want the advice.
    Last edited by James Haury; September 5th, 2009 at 17:29.

Re: Veterans,what did you take to the sandbox?

I wore a Rolex submariner date always. Never missed a beat. A few scratches, but nothing that cant be polished out when serviced. Not everyones choice, but it is one of the toughest watches out there, with a robust movement that can take a lot of abuse. I have it insured, so if it all goes wrong I can always get another.

THANK YOU! Im showing your post to a friend of mine that cant understand that why I don't baby my watches. I don't have anything like a Rolex, but I have a SA Groudforce auto and a Nighthawk, and I wear them all the time. He doesn't believe me, that Rolex and Fortis, and Tag's and whatnot can be or 'should' be worn to actually work in. Im not necessarily suggesting heavy construction work or something, but really, this idea that watches are non-functional jewelry and only a plastic digital can hold up to real use is pretty preposterous. I just love the image of you trolling through the sand in a Rolex. Just what it was meant to do-and hey, you could always use it to bargain in a pinch.
    "...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.....
    ----------------------------------

I wore a Casio G-Shock in Iraq.
    IMHO, it's really the only way to go.

And for what it's worth, I never saw any ground-pounder wearing a watch that cost more than a few hundred dollars max.

Last time, in Iraq, I wore a quartz Festina chronograph. I never used that watch as a stopwatch. I had a cheapie digital for that.

On this next trip, Afghanistan this time, as my everyday watch I plan to wear my Omega 2254.50 (on the PO style black rubber.) I will have another cheapie digital stopwatch for PT, a Suunto Observer on my web gear, and a GSAR in the footlocker as a backup. Part of it is that my Omega is the only gear I have that crosses from the civilian world to the military world. I like looking down and seeing it on my wrist, it's like a touchstone between both worlds. Part of it is that years from now I want to be able to look at it on my wrist and have some memories attached to it.

I don't try to tell myself that an auto is somehow better than a quartz watch. In fact I recommended a Casio Pathfinder to my son, a Marine heading off on his first combat tour soon. But he is an Infantryman and I'm an old motor sergeant. The Casio makes sense for him. Actually the Casio makes sense for me too, but what the hell, the Seamaster makes me happy.

Bottom line, wear the watch that you are comfortable wearing in that environment. And bring a back up. Choosing gear is all part of the fun, right?

I took a cheap old Armitron ana-digi with dual alarms and split timers.
    One time zone for me...one time zone for the family back home and two alarms to remind me about briefing times.

Saw one of caffeinated's Suunto's (at the denver GTG) that he wears on his web gear...that thing is beat to hell and still tells time!!

On a recent foray into Afghanistan, I took a Timex Expedition. I left my Omegas behind. There's just a lot out there to scratch up a watch. Putting on packs, body armor, etc., will cause your watch to get raked by straps if you're not careful. Then there is the dust--so much dust! My Expedition had a rubber strap, so I could take the watch into the shower and get it clean--it was easy to dry! I liked the Timex's luminosity at night, and the button that would power the Indiglo backlight if the lume was fading. The bezel was good at timing things . . . like how long since the last rocket hit!

I was TDY to the Coast Guard(PSU 303 out of ad-Dammam)from 08/90 thru 04/91(Desert Shield/Storm) performing hull inspections on detained ships & UEOD duties.The only watch I had at the time was one of the first Luminox Navy Seals.Tough little watch never let me down.If you're REALLY going to be "In The Sand"then I totaly agree with "neveronmonday" & go G-Shock.Summer sand storms are a BEEOTCH & that s*#t gets into EVERY nook & crannie of everything you are humping!You don't need to be worrying about your watch when you should be worrying about much more important matters.Good luck,EYES OPEN-BUTT DOWN!

God bless and keep you all.I will not be going for Combat ops but I may see some of you when you leave.Please do not be cross I will be doing my job.

I wore a G-Shock in Iraq and it took more than its fair share of abuse.
    But for those who might be wondering what's so tough about a G-Shock (and if you haven't already seen these clips), enjoy....

http://www.gshock.com/content/toughness/resistance/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information