Vulcain Owners Club
Like Tree403Likes

Thread: Vulcain Owners Club

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Vulcain Owners Club

The title says it all. Vulcain watches are very unique, and pretty rare from my own experience. I want to share my Vulcain story, and hear more from fellow Vulcain owners from around the globe. So here it goes:

I've been a Vulcain admirer for a long time. My first dive into the brand happened when I was starting to learn more about mechanical alarms, my favorite complication. I was fascinated by the JLC Memovox, but when I learned that Vulcain was the first one to successfully develop a wrist alarm, I decided I needed to own a vintage cricket. After a few months and several WatchRecon, Chrono24 and eBay searches, I finally found one that seemed to be in decent shape. Tried to make an offer to the owner, which I believed to be very low. To my surprise (and absolute bliss), he accepted. And then, I had my first Vulcain - a vintage Cricket from somewhere in the 60's. It was in fantastic cosmetic shape, but needed a service badly. After a few months, off it went. Today, the cricket is chirping, and it's chirping loud! I love to wear it from time to time!

Fast forward to earlier this year - I was going through a big change in my life, and I was looking for a special all-around watch to mark the moment. A watch that was modern, unique, useful, but one that had some of those particularities that only a WIS would truly appreciate. That was when I learned about the modern Vulcains. I was mesmerized, and found in the Aviator model the watch that had it all - classic mechanism in modern clothes. A display caseback so I could appreciate the inner workings whenever I wanted. A nice dual-time bezel - a very simple, yet incredibly useful complication. Blued hands/screws/dial inserts - you have to be a WIS to love this one. Above it all - it is a Cricket, and I have to wind it every day - I just love manual wind watches. I couldn't resist! Honestly, still can't.

So, it's with great pleasure that I present you my humble Vulcain collection:

Name:  Vulcain01.jpg
Views: 3789
Size:  130.4 KB

Hope you enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to see the collections of fellow WUSers (hear that, @Ozo, Victor Cruz!?!)

OzO

Re: Vulcain Owners Club

Nice V's mate!

I own just the one Vulcain. I'll get to the short and almost interesting story in a minute.

I first came across Vulcain watches about 5-6 years ago, just through surfing the net late at night. I saw a Vulcain (I believe it was a Cricket Nautical) and thought... Man, that is such a cool logo! I went to their website, no dealers in Australia, and at the time just one in the states. Unfortunately I wasn't going to be in much of a position to check the goods out in person. So I trawled eBay... For years, looking for something cool and a little different. Most of the Vulcain watches I saw were dress watches, but I wanted a diver like the one I saw.

Fast forward about two years and I found a pretty cool Vulcain on the bay. It was an estate sale with horrible, horrible pictures. Everything was out of focus with the white balance all out of whack. I message the seller and ask for better pics and the reply came back "hi, this was my late husbands watch. He bought it new back in the sixties but hasn't worn it in years. I'm not too good with cameras but I might be able to get my grandson to take a better picture". I didn't worry about pestering the lady for pics and just bid the auction until I won!

The package came in about a week later (I think it was from upstate New York, if I recall correctly) and it was... Okay. I couldn't really see what I was looking at, the crystal was pretty scratch and you couldn't clearly see what was happening under it. I dropped it in to a local watchmaker near work to buff the crystal and WOW! This is what I was looking at under the scratched crystal (not deep scratches thankfully!)

Under a loupe, it was a beauty! Chalkboard black dial with bright enamel rings on the dial! (I've found out last week it's called a Montgomery dial). Movement is a 17 jewel incabloc movement with a back/forth quickset date. Amazingly enough, it even came on the original bracelet! Years on and I still haven't seen anything like it

Actually, about 2 years ago I snapped up a ladies model for my wife! Terrible photo below

Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

Vulcain Owners Club

^^^^^^

Will be mine some day you know!

Jokes aside, great watches guys.
    OzO likes this.
    IG - watchbrisman

oh Alex, how I dislike you, let me count the ways.
    alx007 likes this.

I still have a small regret on missing a great deal on a Nautical Heritage Vulcain. Too bad really, I thought it was quite unique. Maybe someday.
    rfortson likes this.

OzO

I know, right! Torneau liquidated their Vulcain stock earlier this year but I was too financially vested in acquiring a Breitling Chrono SuperOcean to buy one! The deals on them were crazy.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

Quote Originally Posted by OzO View Post
    Nice V's mate!

I own just the one Vulcain. I'll get to the short and almost interesting story in a minute.

I first came across Vulcain watches about 5-6 years ago, just through surfing the net late at night. I saw a Vulcain (I believe it was a Cricket Nautical) and thought... Man, that is such a cool logo! I went to their website, no dealers in Australia, and at the time just one in the states. Unfortunately I wasn't going to be in much of a position to check the goods out in person. So I trawled eBay... For years, looking for something cool and a little different. Most of the Vulcain watches I saw were dress watches, but I wanted a diver like the one I saw.

Fast forward about two years and I found a pretty cool Vulcain on the bay. It was an estate sale with horrible, horrible pictures. Everything was out of focus with the white balance all out of whack. I message the seller and ask for better pics and the reply came back "hi, this was my late husbands watch. He bought it new back in the sixties but hasn't worn it in years. I'm not too good with cameras but I might be able to get my grandson to take a better picture". I didn't worry about pestering the lady for pics and just bid the auction until I won!

The package came in about a week later (I think it was from upstate New York, if I recall correctly) and it was... Okay. I couldn't really see what I was looking at, the crystal was pretty scratch and you couldn't clearly see what was happening under it. I dropped it in to a local watchmaker near work to buff the crystal and WOW! This is what I was looking at under the scratched crystal (not deep scratches thankfully!)

Under a loupe, it was a beauty! Chalkboard black dial with bright enamel rings on the dial! (I've found out last week it's called a Montgomery dial). Movement is a 17 jewel incabloc movement with a back/forth quickset date. Amazingly enough, it even came on the original bracelet! Years on and I still haven't seen anything like it

Actually, about 2 years ago I snapped up a ladies model for my wife! Terrible photo below

Holy crap, that is the coolest diver I've ever seen! Great story, too. Your patience was supremely rewarded. I'm going to start my search.

Seriously, that is one smoooooooth mother! Thanks for showing this. I'll look forward to seeing it in the WRUW threads going forward.
    OzO likes this.

Here is mine. Nautical charcoal grey dial limited edition of 209 pieces. I really enjoy it and very unique piece. Vulcain is a very hard brand to find in the states. I think there is only like 2-4 dealers that carry them.

Last edited by Cybotron; June 26th, 2014 at 01:34.
    Regards,

Richard

Hi Alex, it's great to see you got your Dual Time back and the big T did you right. haven't been on WUS for a while. youth Baseball season is slowly winding down so I'm starting to read more threads and was glad to see you.

Not much to contribute in terms of a story. Just that I love watches that "speak" to you, or in this case maybe closer to "shout"! I had my eye on Vulcain for a while and when Tourneau started offering them at rediculous prices, I jumped at my Aviator GMT. Best of all, my wife HATES it! It went off once at church during a coffee time discussion and she gave me the dirtiest look. She still gives me that look every time I wear it.

I love my wife a ton, but sometimes I love doing the little things that get on her nerves even more. Hope we can plan an event soon, or at least have a small get together to admire this underrated brand.
    Cybotron and OzO like this.

I've been collecting watches for just a few years, and only this year did I come to appreciate Vulcain.
    Now, a '61 Nautical is among the watches at the top of my wishlist.

In the interim, I picked up this H36.101 manual-wind diver:
    Name:  951DCD54-9ABA-44E0-A689-A0AC5E7E6C4A_zpsr3ix3bfq.jpg
Views: 3517
Size:  149.8 KB

It's 200m WR, and I believe from the 70's as the lume is shot and the hands are starting to fringe.
    If anyone here knows more I'd love to hear it! I contacted Vulcain, but they just sent me details about their paid authentication services.
    Cybotron, Puck, OzO and 7 others like this.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information