Watch buying in Italy?

Thread: Watch buying in Italy?

Watch buying in Italy?

any places in Italy (in Rome and Florence) that's good for watch shopping? what to look for?

Re: Watch buying in Italy?

If you're in Milano Malpensa Airport, it's only a 45 minute drive to Lugano, Switzerland. Lugano is a WIS paradise! Here's the watch I bought there with a view from my hotel balcony:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

stuffler,mike

Rome:

Hausmann is the place to be: Via de Corso or Via dei Condotti, the A. Lange & Söhne shop in Rome, carrying the "major" brands like Blancpian, Breguet, Cartier, Ebel, G. Genta, Omega, Parmigiani, JLC, Vacheron & Constantin, Rolex, Zenith, PP.
    Monetti, Via delle Convertite, ist nice too. Carrying JLC, Rolex, Tudor, Baume & Mercier, D&S

is it safe to use credit card for purchase in italy?

how's the sales tax? (refundable for tourist?)

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post

For credit cards, no problem at least in the major watch shops.... go straight and don't worry!!!!

For sales tax, many shops have a sticker on the door stating "Tax refound" that means that upon buyer's request the shop will issue an invoice for the total value (cost+taxes - 18% of the value -). By showing the invoice at the custom duties refound office at the departure office you will get the tax refound (please, be in airport in advance i.e. 3 hours before scheduled departure, in order not to be in hurry).
    Take in consideration that in watch shops in Italy it is possible to get normally 10-15% discount on the list price except of some brands such as Patek Philippe, Rolex (no chance on many requested models, 10% on some others) and Panerai.
    By the way, I live in Milan and I NEVER bought any watch of mine in shops in Italy, including AD, unless in case of clearance sales or some NOS models, because of service (many times I found sellers totally unaware of the features of the watch they were trying to show me ) and because of sales terms (final prices) that are more expensive than many countries abroad.
    Maybe I've always been unlucky , but I believe that the price policy and the value-for-money-service of many AD in Italy does not worth my shopping here.

Welcome to Italy and enjoy your staying!!!!
    Ugo

"God does not play dices with the universe."
    (Albert Einstein)

There is no retail sales tax in Italy, but there is a VAT - or IVA (Imposta sul Valore Aggiunto). It's 17.36%, and like all European value-added taxes, is included in the retail price (so no mathematical gymnastics required at the till). Also like all European VATs, it is refundable for non-EU residents, provided you spend more than 150 € or so.

Make sure you get a proper invoice from the retailer, and have it stamped on your way out of the EU. The next steps very depending on the country/countries you visited - sometimes you get a cheque in the post, sometimes you have to send the stamped invoice straight back to the retailer.

I've never had trouble using credit cards in the north of Italy, but I have had some in the south. YMMV.

i don't HAVE to get a watch in italy

i just want to do my homework and get myself ready, just in case ...

Another approach

I returned home on one trip to Florence by way of Paris. At the International Departure Terminal, there were duty free watch shops. The prices were lower than in the U.S. because of no VAT or import duty. Of course, if you declare the purchase on your customs form, you will be hit with a customs duty. I declined to buy, even a TT Daytona, because, if the watch needed attention, I wanted access to an AD in the U.S. from whom I would buy the watch. And that is what I did with several purchases; bought local.

Re: Another approach

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    ...if you declare the purchase on your customs form, you will be hit with a customs duty....
    Customs is free for the first $800, 4% after that. So a $3,800 would be 3,800 - 800 = 3,000 x 4% = $120 customs. Not too bad, esp compared to paying VAT. The dollar is so weak and most watch companies have held their US prices, as a result, best deals are usually available in the US. It's been my experience that off brand watches like Fortis are cheap in Europe, name brand watches like Rolex and Omega cost more in Europe.

any places in Italy (in Rome and Florence) that's good for watch shopping? what to look for?
    I lived in Rome for three years and there are watch shops everywhere. I never bought one but if you stroll around the Via del Corso and off the Via del Corso there are plenty of shops. In fact, it is hard to walk through Rome (and it is a very walker friendly city), and not see watches on display. Enjoy the Eternal City!

Thread Information