WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Watch comfort

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  iam7head 
#1 ·
Have not worn a watch in 20 yrs. I like the tag carrera day date 43 mm case. When I tried it on it seemed very heavy and not so comfy. Do most people get used to it.? Seems like the crown was digging into my wrists Tried a smaller case but did not like the look. Also is that the kind of watch people where everyday. I am more a jeans and t shirt guy. Maybe you just have to get use to it?

#3 ·
If you find heaviness to be uncomfortable, it might be worth trying out watch cases made out of titanium. Personally, I like the lightness, the finish and it doesn't feel as cold as steel. I don't know any high-end watches made out of titanium, but I'm sure there are some. Citizen and Seiko has quite a few in different models, if brand or price tag doesn't matter.

#5 ·
Yup..go smaller. It took me way too many watches to realize I didn't like big and overly heavy. For my 7 inch wrist I am sticking to 38-42mm wide and nothing taller than 12mm high. I'm in heaven within those parameters...outside of that i end up unhappy and uncomfortable every time. Find your sweetspot and your wrist will love you for it. No matter how good it looks, if its not comfortable, you won't wear it.

#6 ·
Yep, sounds like it's too big a watch - do yourself a favor and try on something more like 40 or even 38 mm. I'm tall, but have relatively slender wrists, so anything over 40 gets less comfy for ME.

some guys are more comfortable with a bracelet as it's looser on the wrist as well.

There are a number of high end watches - Breitling comes quickly to mind - that make Ti case and band watches if weight really is the issue, but I'd check the size issue as well - and some watches are really longer because of the design of their lugs - and that can make a difference in wrist feel.

My take is this: If it's not comfy in the store, it's not going to break in - the watch is steel, your wrist just is not going to wear it down!

#8 ·
Very good point, going from no watch for 20 years to wearing a watch can feel very uncomfortable. I would get an inexpensive watch and start getting used to having it on my wrist.
I used to not wear watches most of the time, and when I did, they all felt uncomfortable. I had to wear a watch when I started teaching so I got a very light Swatch and after a few days it did not bother me at all.

#9 ·
Sometimes, watches are just too heavy no matter what you do.

That's why I dumped my Sinn U1 even though I loved the aesthetics. The heaviness was oppressive.

I have a feeling that's why I keep seeing 45mm Planet Oceans for sale on watchrecon.com. They're *gorgeous*, look just right, but man. Huge watch.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, wearing a watch is uncomfortable, just like wearing shoes and clothes. But you will get used to it, and not notice after a while.

Go for something between 38 and 40mm and thin.
I recommend a Quartz, as they can be thinner and lighter.

Longines and Reymond Weil make some nice watches that could suit you.

BTW, how did you manage to be watch-less for 20 years?

#11 ·
You'll get used to it. I wear watches much heavier than that one, I'm sure, and much lighter as well. I find myself having a harder time adjusting to the light ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.