Watch service in the UK

Thread: Watch service in the UK

Watch service in the UK

Realise most users here are US but was looking for some guidance on servicing in UK, or Scotland if possible to be more specific.

I am considering buying a watch that would be new from store, but potentially 6-8 years old and the first thing to consider would be a service. However I have noticed over the last few years in the UK there has been a big drop in local jewellers/watchmakers. Everywhere is a chain - Ernest Jones, Chisholm Hunter, Barclays, Beaverbrooks. I dont think I trust them to do a service on a watch that they themselves do not sell (it's an Armand Nicolet).

I could send to the manufacturer, but then that incurs further expense of postage & insurance (also I am not sure if, when receiving my watch back from Switzerland, I'd be charged import duty on the value of it). Are there any watch service/repair companies that are UK-based that people could recommend for servicing of the more obscure brand? It is a AN0711S movement, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Re: Watch service in the UK

I've not used them myself, but these guys get excellent feedback and recommendations:

Russell Talerman - Watch Repairs in London

Like talljosh, I've not used this company, but they get good reviews and are based in Hamilton.

Jon Vincent Watchmakers - Luxury Watches & Accredited Watch Repairs

You won't be charged. My Swiss Military has just gone to Switzerland for a service and they sent me a pro-forma invoice to attach when it was sent. They also arranged the UPS courier to pick it up and return it, all within the service cost. Don't know how AN handle this though.

Sorry I can't help you find a watch service center but I'm almost certain you won't have to pay import duty on the value of your watch if you declare that it is leaving the UK having been bought in the UK. I'd double check with HMRC first. You may have to pay some Tax on the work that has been done on the watch though. Hope that helps.

Edit: Beaten to it.
    Last edited by watchonfire; October 19th, 2015 at 19:27.

All depends on brand and value of watch. My Tudor Pelagos is the original ETA based model, I could easily get it serviced, but when it returns it wont have the modified parts used by Tudor/Rolex to up the quality of the movement. Is this an issue for me? Yes, right now it is.

I will send the Tudor to the UK Rolex service centre, current price is a few hundred quid, which is not bad. Benefits of not having an in-house movement, you have servicing options.

You can see his work. Price List | Watch Guy

Thread Information