Watch shops in Hong Kong?

Thread: Watch shops in Hong Kong?

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watch shops in Hong Kong?

I am heading to Hong Kong in a few weeks and I am wondering where a good place to look for used watches would be? Any help would be appreciated. I am really looking forward to this trip and I know that HK has some amazing watches. I'm not looking for anything pricey, just interesting.

Re: Watch shops in Hong Kong?

I am aware of some used watch dealers but they tend to be quite pricey, as they focus on "big name" brands geared towards well-heeled collectors. Kew & Cie in central, HK Island is the best known one. As far as I know the vintage collectors there either go overseas for more affordable vintage watches or use eBay! But I'll let other HK-based members to offer their views.

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

I live in Hong Kong but i can't help much since i always buy new from authorized dealers, i could give you some addresses though where you can visit and check by yourself, Ken Watches in Lockhart Road Wanchai district (Bars street) his shop is at the corner (forgot which MTR exit but you could ask the customer service desk at Wanchai station) also there are few shops in Tsim Sha Tsui next to Miramar hotel, Lafayette shopping arcade it is called (facing Miramar shopping mall and side by side with Miramar Hotel) Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station exit A1 (Kowloon park) turn left and walk by the Golden Mile shops until you reach the crossroad on the right side you will see the Miramar hotel.
    Finally, you could also go to Holiday Inn hotel in Tsim Sha tsui (Nathan Road) at the basement 1 there's a small mall with few watch shops selling vintage and new, good luck and have an enjoyable stay in Hong Kong.

Cheers.
    Last edited by amine; January 24th, 2011 at 09:49.
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etc

I was there a year ago I found this mall in Tsim Sha Tsui where they sell vintage camera gear and right next to these shops they sell vintage watches. The prices are high for 99% of them and they didn't really have anything interesting when I was there.
    Last edited by mebiuspower; January 24th, 2011 at 15:56.
    60s vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre HW | 60s vintage Tradition 23j HW | Laco Pilot 42 Type A HW | Tourby Aviator B2c | Sinn U1 | Marathon TSAR & GSAR | Vintage Glashutte GUB | Nomos Orion

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    I was there a year ago I found this mall in Tsim Sha Tsui where they sell vintage camera gear and right next to these shops they sell vintage watches. The prices are high for 99% of them and they didn't really have anything interesting when I was there.
    That's Lafayette shopping arcade i was referring to
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etc

Thanks for the advice. I'm just looking for a place to find some interesting pieces and nothing too extreme. I would love to find a place selling cases or other watch parts being sold individually. I want to buy parts to build my own on this trip.

I also collect vintage radios from the 80s. Anyone have any ideas where I might find these in HK?

Oh dear.

You're not in the know lol.

What you're referring to, is the 'mark up price'. The actual sale price is very variable, depending on how good your negotiation skills are.

I'm over here for work at the moment, and I have to bring a friend who speaks the language with me, otherwise I will just get ripped off.

If you want an authorised dealer, most Ball watch shops in HK have 25% off at the moment before the Lunar New Year. You can check out others - I couldn't find a moonphase I saw on this forum, but the prices were phenomenally good compared to everything else I've seen elsewhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfox View Post
    Oh dear.

You're not in the know lol.

What you're referring to, is the 'mark up price'. The actual sale price is very variable, depending on how good your negotiation skills are.

I'm over here for work at the moment, and I have to bring a friend who speaks the language with me, otherwise I will just get ripped off.

If you want an authorised dealer, most Ball watch shops in HK have 25% off at the moment before the Lunar New Year. You can check out others - I couldn't find a moonphase I saw on this forum, but the prices were phenomenally good compared to everything else I've seen elsewhere in the world.
    I speak the language, I was born there. But again I saw nothing special that I would bother to negotiate the price for. And god knows what they did to those watches that you won't have any idea of until you open them. They generally have a "you like, you buy" attitude so good luck on asking for any history of the watches they sell.

On another note, I was at a Sinn AD in Central. They knew I'm not a local and the sales lady totally wouldn't balk for any discount (gave me the "You're not one of our regulars" speech) and was pushing me for a U1W I had no interest of.
    Last edited by mebiuspower; January 24th, 2011 at 18:36.
    60s vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre HW | 60s vintage Tradition 23j HW | Laco Pilot 42 Type A HW | Tourby Aviator B2c | Sinn U1 | Marathon TSAR & GSAR | Vintage Glashutte GUB | Nomos Orion

I speak the language, I was born there. But again I saw nothing special that I would bother to negotiate the price for. And god knows what they did to those watches that you won't have any idea of until you open them. They generally have a "you like, you buy" attitude so good luck on asking for history of the watches they sell.

On another note, I was at a Sinn AD in Central. They knew I'm not a local and the sales lady totally wouldn't balk for any discount and was pushing me for a U1W I had no interest of.
    Maybe they think they have more hope with a stoopid foreigner like me then lol. My friend tells me that you'll get no discount and nothing of the sort in Central.

Be brave! Be strong! be flu' ridden - go to Kowloon Mong Kok instead. That's where you'll get the bargains.

I think you're right on about the frankenstein interiors of these 'second hand' ones. It is very hard to tell, unless you have some watch knowledge. And I don't.

Ps - do you know anywhere to get vintage/automatic watches repaired?

Snowfox, where in Mongkok should I be looking? Part of my family lives on that side so I want to do some watch/vintage audio exploring there. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information