The Watch Snob?
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: The Watch Snob?

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

The Watch Snob?

My roommate showed me "The Watch Snob" at Askmen.com

Besides the fact that the guy is a complete f*ck, is he credible?

Are his points and opinions justified or just completely biased hoopla?

I thought there is no better place for this question than here at WUS for the true WIS!
    modulo likes this.
    Hidden Content

Current rotation:
    Breitling Superocean Steelfish A17390
    Bulova Precisionist 98B142
    Victorinox Maverick II Chronograph and Maverick II GMT
    Seiko SKX007
    Invicta 8926C
    Casio MDV-102
    Fossil Chronograph

Re: The Watch Snob?

Never heard of him before

Just googled his name, and read his last article

Edit: read more articles....seems like a douche that is creating a persona for entertainment purposes, but still entertaining
    Last edited by AbsoluteMustard; April 14th, 2010 at 19:06.
    BadBlue likes this.

I always enjoy that column. However, when says "snob", he means it. There was a column a few weeks ago where he said that he wouldn't buy any watch priced between $1000 and $3500. Made no sense.

It's 99% satire. I'm afraid to use this parallel since Americans might not get this reference but he's basically Jeremy Clarkson's watch-enthusiast cousin.
    I'm fairly certain AskMen found an actual connoisseur to write this article so his info is legit. Although this guy is very knowledgeable, his advice should be taken with respect to watch buying values. He values engineering and exclusivity while looking down upon those who merely wear watches as gaudy status symbols.

Ultimately, most men need stern advice when it comes to their appearance. AskMen could have hired a person that recommended advice such as, "Wear whatever you like because you're a unique snowflake" but then their readers would probably wear 60mm+ monstrosities to the office and wonder why their co-workers and superiors look at them with disdain. His snobbery boils down to a single ethos: Invest in a classy timepiece because people will judge you by it.

P.S.
    The man once recommended that a reader buy an Orient!
    Marrin and cma3 like this.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

I found his column this morning and read through them all. Either he is an elitist snob or a great writer. Either way I still find it pretty entertaining. He does contradict himself through the columns. If you read a few of them you will see what I mean.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

70% Entertaining, 30% Informatitive

At least that's where I put him. His remarks actually have some credo, but it's purposely sarcastic and over the top in terms of snobbery - as to poke fun at the fascination in horology and to an extent the pre-occupation with fashion in general.

I find him funny because I know he's trying to just stir the pot.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSo View Post
    It's 99% satire. I'm afraid to use this parallel since Americans might not get this reference but he's basically Jeremy Clarkson's watch-enthusiast cousin.
    I'm fairly certain AskMen found an actual connoisseur to write this article so his info is legit. Although this guy is very knowledgeable, his advice should be taken with respect to watch buying values. He values engineering and exclusivity while looking down upon those who merely wear watches as gaudy status symbols.

Ultimately, most men need stern advice when it comes to their appearance. AskMen could have hired a person that recommended advice such as, "Wear whatever you like because you're a unique snowflake" but then their readers would probably wear 60mm+ monstrosities to the office and wonder why their co-workers and superiors look at them with disdain. His snobbery boils down to a single ethos: Invest in a classy timepiece because people will judge you by it.

P.S.
    The man once recommended that a reader buy an Orient!
    I was surprised after reading this morning to see that he recommended the Orient. Which in my opinion is an excellent watch for the price. Some of his comments and answers are great. I especially loved the answer for the person inquiring about Ice Watch. The snob made my morning.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Found the answer I was looking for.

This is going to be fun. You, my friend, are the type of person that gives all other watch fans a bad name. Even though they call me the Watch Snob, I am here to help people; you are on this earth to do nothing but horologically name drop, which you did oh so well in the very first line of your question. Also, you are not a horologist -- no matter what you tell yourself. Are you creating any timepieces by hand? Didn’t think so.

Look, I don’t like you, and something tells me you’ve heard those words from many people before me, but I will help you anyways.

-- John Maynard Keynes

Re: 70% Entertaining, 30% Informatitive

Snobbery or not, a brilliant writer !

This guy is great, I like the way he contradicts himself just to play devil's advocate. Very entertaining.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information