Watch tourism/shopping in Japan?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Watch tourism/shopping in Japan?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Watch tourism/shopping in Japan?

I'm staying about an hour from Osaka, and may also visit Tokyo on this trip. Any places you esteemed members recommend going to look at watches here? Maybe Seikos not seen in the US, for example? Any other Japanese brands you recommend looking at?

I'll also be in Beijing soon, but let's save that for another thread.

Re: Watch tourism/shopping in Japan?

I read somewhere that Seiko do factory tours, but only in Japanese.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

There's a lot to see, depending on where you're going in Tokyo. You can find lots of Seikos and Orients all over the place in department stores. In some electronics stores they have a whole floor devoted to watches (For example, the Yodobashi in Akihabara, near the train station). There are also tons of luxury watch stores in the Ginza district, including the Lemon Shop, a vintage Leika/vintage watch store made famous by Hodinkee (it's a challenge to find). Ditto for Shinjuku. The exchange rate is very favorable right now, so pick up a 6-pack of Rolexes, will ya, and send me one while you're at it?
    Jcp311 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seattle_guy View Post
    I'm staying about an hour from Osaka, and may also visit Tokyo on this trip. Any places you esteemed members recommend going to look at watches here? Maybe Seikos not seen in the US, for example? Any other Japanese brands you recommend looking at?

I'll also be in Beijing soon, but let's save that for another thread.
    Where are you? Like nearest station? I lived in Osaka for 4 years and can give you actual directions to places.

Go to Umeda (Hankyu, Midosuji Subway, etc) and cross the street to Yodobashi Camera. It's just as good as the one in Akihabara. Cheap.

If you're looking for great affordables, there's a little chain of watch shops called Tokia. There's one in Umeda and two in the Shinsaibashi shoutengai a few subway stops down the Midosuji line. While you're down there you can check out Bic Camera in Namba, but at either them or Yodobashi you're going to find pretty much every Seiko/Citizen/Orient/Casio on the market at about the same price. Yodobashi has better Swiss stuff.

Loft in Umeda (giant yellow department store) has some unusual stuff in their first floor watch department, including a good selection of Sinn and some things like Issey Miyake and other Japanese designer stuff.

If you go into the Swissotel/Namba Parks you can find a whole floor of watches. There's seriously a Patek Phillippe boutique across the hall from a G-Shock shop. It's a great place to see things like Ulysse Nardin and Franck Muller in person.
    Last edited by Lord Monocle; October 4th, 2014 at 02:07.
    seattle_guy likes this.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Sorry...I keep thinking of stuff. There's a great vintage watch shop near E-Ma in Umeda where you can pick up old Seiko, Rolex, and Tudor divers, among other things.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

I second Lord Monocle. At Shinsaibashi Tsuji shopping street there are several pawn shops which sells luxury bags and stuff, they also have some goods used watches.

There's also this shop near Homachi station, it's right under the high way on the right if you take Midosuji Ave. from Namba to Umeda direction. There are a lot of vintage Seikos, Citizens and Orients in it. By the way the shop doesn't work on Sundays I remember

OP: post your experience after checking out these boutiques. Looking to travel to Japan soon and would love to know where to go.
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    Where are you? Like nearest station? I lived in Osaka for 4 years and can give you actual directions to places.
    I'm near YAMATO-YAGI Station, in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture. I also have some errands to run in Osaka on Monday, and later that week plan to visit a friend in Tokyo.

Before I left home I was shopping unsuccessfully for a Z-Blue Rolex Milgauss, frankly the only Rolex that appeals to me, but it's a lot of money for one watch and maybe I'll find something more interesting here. My wrist is not very big, so many of the popular watches today don't look good on me. I have a favorable impression of Seiko, but never really got the bug (yet).

I also develop film at home sometimes and might be interested in a vintage camera.

Quote Originally Posted by seattle_guy View Post
    I'm near YAMATO-YAGI Station, in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture. I also have some errands to run in Osaka on Monday, and later that week plan to visit a friend in Tokyo.

Before I left home I was shopping unsuccessfully for a Z-Blue Rolex Milgauss, frankly the only Rolex that appeals to me, but it's a lot of money for one watch and maybe I'll find something more interesting here. My wrist is not very big, so many of the popular watches today don't look good on me. I have a favorable impression of Seiko, but never really got the bug (yet).

I also develop film at home sometimes and might be interested in a vintage camera.
    There's a chain of used watch shops in Osaka called Quark you might want to check out. There are a couple of good shops in Umeda that have a great Rolex selection and there's one in Namba that had a lot of Rolex and Panerai. I used to stop by the one in Motomachi in Kobe sometimes too. Decent prices too, as I recall.

?????????????ROLEX??????????? is their website.

Stop by enough of their locations and it wouldn't surprise me if you found your Milgauss, to be honest.

I've been gone for a little over two years, but Dennix is still in the area and might comment if I'm completely wrong now.

One fun thing you'll find is that Japanese watch shops are much more welcoming than the ones I've seen in the US. I've always been able to walk into Japanese watch shops in a t-shirt and have salesmen hand me $10,000 watches without hesitation.
    Last edited by Lord Monocle; October 4th, 2014 at 04:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    One fun thing you'll find is that Japanese watch shops are much more welcoming than the ones I've seen in the US. I've always been able to walk into Japanese watch shops in a t-shirt and have salesmen hand me $10,000 watches without hesitation.
    Ah, that's a relief. After lengthy internal debate, I wound up taking only one watch with me on this trip: my newish Speedmaster. It goes with what I'll wear for work, and makes a great dual time watch if you start the stopwatch at midnight of the other time zone. But I'm a little embarrassed to go into a rare watch store wearing something that will seem boring to any real watch collector.

I'm wondering if I should start with the vintage watches and Seikos so I don't blow my whole budget on a Rolex I could get in the US.... "Lemon" in Tokyo sounds intriguing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information