What is the best value new mechanical watch in the world???

Thread: What is the best value new mechanical watch in the world???

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What is the best value new mechanical watch in the world???

I have a feeling this is going to be a bit of a controversial topic. But value for money, perceived or real, is a big priority for me. I mainly collect mechanicals, so I put that limit on the nominations, but that's the only one. I know we all have very different tastes, so it will be interesting to see what you guys get in to. I'm a diver fan myself.

My nominations, in no particular order, are:

1. Orient Mako
    2. Seiko Monster
    3. Seiko SKX

stuffler,mike

Re: What is the best value new mechanical watch in the world???

How many watches have you compared to come to your rating and based on what grid did you rate the watches you mentioned ?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    How many watches have you compared to come to your rating and based on what grid did you rate the watches you mentioned ?
    On paper I've compared too many watches to mention. IRL, I don't know, maybe 50 - 100 I guess. I haven't owned all of them, just ahndled them, palyed with them.

What do you mean by grid? My priorities?

Fit and finish is probably the main priority for me. I really like inhouse movements. Not at all concerned with accuracy. Can't really use style to judge, as it's so subjective. And detailing is important to me - for example, I prefer applied indices to painted indices, as they take more manufacturing stages, so I can see where the cost comes from. I rate metal higher than plastic - for example I hate the chapter ring on my monster. That's probably the best I can explain...

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Sheesh Mike, it's obvious that he probably has limited exposure and has done what lots of us have done and started with the most referenced and most accessible and affordable models out there.

What 'grid' is necessary for you? Can't perceived value just simply mean how much a piece sells for in relation to how much enjoyment it brings?

Seiko SKXA53

Citizen NY0040
    Citizen NY2300
    Hamilton Khaki
    Wenger Terragraph
    Casio GW-5600

Yeah, that's why I asked. Trying to accelerate my exposure. Genuinely interested in what those who have been collecting for much longer than me have to say on the subject. When I started out I had absolutely no idea of just how many smaller brands are actually out there.

Banned

I think one of the best value mech. watches are the HMT watches made in India.
    The movements are classic 17 jewel citizen movements, adequate WR, nice classic design.
    Some posters compare them to Chinese watches, but I think this is not doing HMT any justice. As said, the movement is a bomb proof, old Citizen movement.
    Search on HMT here on WUS and you will be directed to several threads. Indeed, there is a recent thread in the PilMil forum about HMT.
    Last edited by Janne; February 13th, 2009 at 15:52. Reason: wrong forum mentioned

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by joppinger View Post
    Sheesh Mike, it's obvious that he probably has limited exposure and has done what lots of us have done and started with the most referenced and most accessible and affordable models out there.

What 'grid' is necessary for you? Can't perceived value just simply mean how much a piece sells for in relation to how much enjoyment it brings?
    Well, the decision what is the best value new mechanical watch must imho be based on specifications which apply to all the watches being compared. Otherwise it is just the question "what is your best value watch". Or say/ask what is the best value in a certain price bracket, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10.000 and + 10.000.

Banned

Without more refining parameters it's kind of like asking "what's the best flavor ice cream". Personal bias is a huge factor as well - even the OP said he was inclined to vote for dive watches. I own 2 dive watches - a modern Seiko Orange Monster and a vintage Bucherer. I think the Seiko is one of the best bang-for-the-buck watch around. Tissot makes some very attractive dress watches. In high end watches, it's tough to beat Jaeger LeCoultre. TRUE in-house movements, both classic and contemporary designs, and a lower cost compared to other manufacturers with the same features and brand cache'. Omega is another good value - put them next to their competitors for tool watches like Breitling & Rolex and you can see they offer a lot of watch for the investment.

* opinions expressed in this editorial do not necessarily reflect those of station management

Banned

I assume, considering the OP's own selection, he means a watch in the lower price bracket.
    I agree with the JLC choice, Ulack. Amazing stuff for your money.
    A pity they "sold out" to Richemont.
    I can see a watering out of the brand in the future, using outsourced movements etc
    I think the latest JLC LE's, the "JLC SEAL whatever", is offering us a glimpse into the future JLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I assume, considering the OP's own selection, he means a watch in the lower price bracket.
    I agree with the JLC choice, Ulack. Amazing stuff for your money.
    A pity they "sold out" to Richemont.
    I can see a watering out of the brand in the future, using outsourced movements etc
    I think the latest JLC LE's, the "JLC SEAL whatever", is offering us a glimpse into the future JLC.
    I think Richemont has done a decent job so far of giving them independence, and it seems like a nice splodge of wonga for investment/research/development -- there's a few new high end calibers being introduced, and if anything it seems that the use of JLC ebauches by other brands has diminished since they were bought out. Similarly IWC seems to be steadily increasing the use of their in-house pellaton auto calibre in their lines.

Personally I think the JLC Ultra Thin is a very unique offering. Considering it's one of the cheapest manufacture pieces you can get, horologically interesting, and the fact that it's absolutely gorgeous, I think it's a steal.
    Last edited by spluurfg; February 13th, 2009 at 16:55.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information