Thread: What do you think are the most overrated brands?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

What do you think are the most overrated brands?

Hello everyone. My name is Jay and I am new to this forum. I dig watches so I figured this is the perfect place to come and talk about them. I also happen to own a store where I sell many different watch brands. Now don't worry, I'm not here to advertise or to sell anything. You won't be seeing a thousand different posts under my name on selling watches. My main reason for being here is the same as most of the people on this forum; that is to get the latest information on watches. One of the things I was most curious about is what brands do you guys think are the most overrated? Also, what brands are the most underrated?
    Last edited by pakman; June 5th, 2008 at 01:35. Reason: wanted to add another question.

Re: What do you think are the most overrated brands?

Hmmm, let see what this thread can turn into.

Most overrated....Rolex
    ¿Qué hora son?

Banned

Welcome to the watch madness!
    Overrated: Panerai? Rolex?
    Underrated: Japanese makes?

Please, before you hate me: I own a Rolex. I do not own a Japanese watch. I will never own a Panerai.
    Last edited by Janne; June 5th, 2008 at 01:42.

Panerai? Janne excuse me for saying (r u nutz?) LOL.
    Ok this thread will cause issues.. This is simply a matter of personal choice.
    For the prices that most of these major brands charge, their all overrated..
    I dont care how great a watch is when your asking 50,75,100,500k dollars thats
    just simply crazy..

Janne- no offense, I'm a big supporter of Panerai (dont own 1 anymore). Over priced probably, overrated No!
    Brgds
    Pasquale,

www.myspace.com/rip_Lino

PJ

I'm with Janne.

I personally believe that the most underrated brands are the Japanese brands. Why are they not considered on the same level as Swiss brands? Especially during these times, the Japanese are known for technology and quality. Everytime I show a Seiko Premier to the "average Joe" he gets shocked at the retail price, but seeing the same the price on a Tag or Omega won't shock him as much. I personally believe Citizen makes some of the very best watches out there for a very reasonable price. Of course, Rolex is very much overrated.

underrated: many of the german company brands that aren't Glashutte Original or A. Lange and Sohne (i.e. Archimede, Stowa, Muhle Glashutte)

overrated: Tag Heuer--agree with Sunshine 86 response--perfectly fine watches but perception of non-wis is that they're the bomb. everyone who is fresh out of college has heard of Tag. probably not a great thing.
    Last edited by acdelco; June 5th, 2008 at 02:41.
    --AC

Overrated:
    Rolex - I think there is quite a lot of smoke and mirrors woven into their marketing and, unfortunately, many people (particularly those of the non-WIS variety) get wrapped up in it. That said, I would love to own a Sea Dweller or a GMT Master II.

TAG Heuer - Definitive proof that Tiger Woods can sell anything. In my opinion, they're mediocre (at best) watches but the non-WIS, Kool-Aid drinkers can't seem to get enough of them.

Panerai - A little star power goes a long way amongst the sheeple. I never have understood why people are compeled to buy things solely because X celebrity has the same item. Nice watches, however.

Underrated:
    Jaeger Le-Coultre - Beautiful watches for great prices (considering the craftsmanship, quality conrol, etc.). However, they get barely any recognition outside of the WIS community.

Ulysse Nardin - I would say they are in the same boat as JLC.

Stowa - Gorgeous watches.
    Last edited by Sunshine86; June 5th, 2008 at 02:42.

Over: Panerai, Rolex
    Under: Orient, Casio
    Current: Casio G-Shock GW500A * Stowa Antea * Casio G-Shock GW530A * Omega SMP 2254.50 * Tissot Le Locle * Marathon SAR * Dievas Vortex No. 144 * Bernhardt Sea Shark No. 128 (grey)

Former: Orient Mako (black) * Orient Mako (blue) * Alpha 'Speedmaster' * Citizen NY2300 * Steinhart Ocean 1 * Seiko SNM005 * Legendary Invicta 8926 CE * Bernhardt Sea Shark No. 023 (red) * Ollech & Wajs MP 2824-2 * Glycine Lagunare 1000 COSC

Dreaming: Omega Planet Ocean * Omega Seamaster 300 * Omega Speedmaster * Sinn 857 * Sinn U1

Here we go again.

Overrated - Franck Muller, Philip Stein (sorry Oprah) and the rest have
    been named. The usual suspects.

Underrated - There's quite a list, but for major brand, Ebel. There's been
    a lot of shaking up there in the last few years.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information