What does "watch hacking" mean?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LTH

Thread: What does "watch hacking" mean?

-->

Question What does "watch hacking" mean?

Is that anther way of saying "calibrate"?
    My daily five watches.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1, Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E, G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, and a Vostok Amphibia with a Russian Navy missile ship and a Russian Tank on a stainless steel oyster watch band.

LTH

Re: What does "watch hacking" mean?

it's the ability to stop the seconds hand in order to sync the watch with a reference (atomic clock)
    IMHO it's useless as an automatic gain a few seconds each day, usaually I set mine at time minus one minute and I reset it when it reach plus one minute

and if I need the exact time I look at my GSM celular phone
    captain_hx likes this.
    Seiko "SPØRK" SRP043K1, MQJ submariner, Casio WVA-430, Citizen diver NY2300-09EB, Seiko 5 SNXS77K (7S26) , Casio Protrek PRT-500 , Swatch Beat webmaster , vintage Seiko 5 (1972 defective) various Casio, Pulsar, Yonger&Bresson all anadigit and a Fossil WristPda:oops:

Quote Originally Posted by LTH View Post
    it's the ability to stop the seconds hand in order to sync the watch with a reference (atomic clock)
    IMHO it's useless as an automatic gain a few seconds each day, usaually I set mine at time minus one minute and I reset it when it reach plus one minute

and if I need the exact time I look at my GSM celular phone
    Thanks, I get it now. When you pull out the crown some watches can't stop the second hand and it keeps moving, right?

So I was right, it's a another way of saying "calibration"?

I never owned a watch that you weren't able to stop the second hand when you pull out the crown to set the hour and minute hands.

I thought all watches were able to stop completely when you pull out the crown. I mean it would only make good sense because you are trying to set it.
    Last edited by G-Shocks Are Cool.; May 20th, 2007 at 19:25.
    My daily five watches.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1, Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E, G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, and a Vostok Amphibia with a Russian Navy missile ship and a Russian Tank on a stainless steel oyster watch band.

The Seiko monsters were the first watches I owned that you couldn't "hack". I was surprised too.

I hack my Speedmaster almost daily because I like accuracy.
    Follow along with me on Twitter: @luckyTMonk

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Monk View Post
    The Seiko monsters were the first watches I owned that you couldn't "hack". I was surprised too.

So basically if you can't stop the second hand completely the time will be even slower then automatics you can stop the second hand?

So how can you actually test to see if the watch is pretty accurate then if you can't even test it at the same time?
    Last edited by G-Shocks Are Cool.; May 20th, 2007 at 22:55.
    My daily five watches.

Hi -

Gotta be careful with the wording: calibration is comparing something to a standard, while hacking (in this context) means that the time-keeping character of a watch is stopped in order to synchronize it.

Calibrating a watch is more than synchronizing it: it means that it will keep the same kind of time as the source clock, i.e. will maintain the same accuracy, more or less, between the two watches. High-quality aviation watches were like this before the advent of computer-controlled aviation: if you were trying to synchronize 1000 planes on top of a target which included a 6 hour flight just to get there, you want all the watches worn by the lead pilots to show the same time-keeping characteristics, so that when everyone is supposed to be over the target, no one is more than a few seconds off. This was, back when, a LOT easier said than done, and simply synchronizing watches wasn't enough: you had to calibrate them.

I know this is fairly pedantic in this day and age, but the difference is subtle, but important...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

Gotta be careful with the wording: calibration is comparing something to a standard, while hacking (in this context) means that the time-keeping character of a watch is stopped in order to synchronize it.

Calibrating a watch is more than synchronizing it: it means that it will keep the same kind of time as the source clock, i.e. will maintain the same accuracy, more or less, between the two watches. High-quality aviation watches were like this before the advent of computer-controlled aviation: if you were trying to synchronize 1000 planes on top of a target which included a 6 hour flight just to get there, you want all the watches worn by the lead pilots to show the same time-keeping characteristics, so that when everyone is supposed to be over the target, no one is more than a few seconds off. This was, back when, a LOT easier said than done, and simply synchronizing watches wasn't enough: you had to calibrate them.

I know this is fairly pedantic in this day and age, but the difference is subtle, but important...

JohnF
    Thanks, I learned alot.
    My daily five watches.

Seiko Samurais as well do not have the hacking feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Monk View Post

Thread Information