What exactly is a regulator watch?
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: What exactly is a regulator watch?

-->
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    PFC

What exactly is a regulator watch?

I've always been taught that the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask, but feel I might be pushing it here...

I've searched for an answer to no avail, so, in plain English and simple terms, what sets a regulator watch apart from any other?

WnS

Re: What exactly is a regulator watch?

It's a watch with hours, minutes and seconds on separate dials. Some people think this is a cool and funky look.
    Bill Adler likes this.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post

It's a watch with hours, minutes and seconds on separate dials. Some people think this is a cool and funky look.
    That may be the first Oris I've ever liked. Does it have TWO rotating elapsed time bezels? Like I could look like I'm timing one thing but I'm actually timing something else?
    Profile pending moderation.

WnS

Just one rotating bezel, the inside one is just a minute track. Don't think I've ever seen a watch with 2 rotating bezels - that would be something.
    I'm content with my watch collection

There is a purpose to the design but I am not able to find much literature on it. I've read some discussions that a watch can be made more accurate when the minute and hour hands are separately driven (I have no idea how true that is) and also read that the purpose of the design is to emphasize the minutes hand.
    Breitling ss/rose Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Chronographe Sequential, Alain Silberstein Krono Bauhaus II, BRM MT-51/49, Franck Muller Conquistador chrono, IWC Aquatimer chrono, B&M Capeland 1000m XXL, Angular Momentum diver, IWC Big Pilot, JLC Navy Seals chrono, bronze Hellberg CH-1, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Ancon bronze M26 Tank, Helson Sharkmaster, Kobold Large Soarway Diver

These seem to be one of the least efficient ways of reading the time on a watch. You know how you can just look at a watch and know the time, without actually reading it? You can't really do that with a regulateur.
    TAG Heuer Monaco Vintage LE|Omega Speedmaster Professional|Suunto X-Lander Mil|Hamilton Pan Europ|Flight Timer|Seiko SBDX001|Revue Thommen Chrono Diver

A man's watch is a very cherished thing. You steal that, you might as well be stealing his soul.

PFC

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    These seem to be one of the least efficient ways of reading the time on a watch. You know how you can just look at a watch and know the time, without actually reading it? You can't really do that with a regulateur.
    Now knowing what defines a regulator, I must admit I'm not a fan either. I think a chrono adds far more interest to a watchface, and gives the added benefit of a really useful (for me anyway) complication.
    Raza likes this.

The regulateur dial design was meant for a clock with the greatest accuracy; the purest regulateur has the second and hour dials positioned vertically above and below the minute hand axis in the middle, so every time on the hour the minute and second hands point up and line up, and at midnight all three hands do so.

A common use of the regulateur clock a long time ago was as time reference instrument used in watchmakers' (as in manufacturers') workshops, positioned so taht it could be seen by all the watchmakers so that they could use it for regulating the watches they're building. Here, the hour display was not of great importance, but the minute display was.

In that sense, it's not a very effective design for telling time at a glance, but nowadays it's appeal is for being a bit unusual; come to think of it, many "high end" watches today do not consider instant legibility as a design priority after all.
    Last edited by Seele; January 13th, 2012 at 18:01.

Name:  regulator-version2-24std-4.jpg
Views: 10449
Size:  62.0 KB
    Watchbreath, GETS, myke and 2 others like this.

great info on this thread, keep it coming!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information