What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    78

    What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    Whats acclaimed to be the most accurate quartz and mechanical watch? Im interested in the below Grand Seiko spring drive (plated at +/- 15 sec per month however I understand this is more like +1 sec per month), being a hybrid of the two movements Id like to see how it stands up against the best the original two can offer independently.

    CitizenM likes this.

  2. #2
    Member Der Biermeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    My new Grand Complication (Citizen Signature) has gained only 4 secs in 3 weeks. And the last few days, it seems to be holding at that.
    CitizenM likes this.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81145&dateline=128335  7153(It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin') --"That's the story, folks---glad we could get together" -- JCS

  3. #3
    Member CitizenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Waco & Norman
    Posts
    9,329

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    I don't know about custom made watches, but the highest rated mechanical watch are Grand Seiko 9S models. The ordinary 9S65 and 9S85 are rated for an industry best +5/-3, and they make special 9S85 models that are rated for +4/-2. Of course, those are worst case scenarios and in real life they're a lot more accurate than that.

    But there's luck of the draw in any given mechanical. I've had two mechanicals that beat most of my quartz watches (and they weren't rated especially well with accuracy). People have had great reports on the new Omega 8500 calibres, although they're officially rated for the standard COSC +6/-4.

    But, as always, your mileage may vary when it comes to watches.

    As per quartz, I don't think there's any dispute that The Citizen A660 Chronomaster is the most accurate model in the world, rated for 5 seconds a year. The new A010 may actually outperform it, but it's rated the same, so we'll just have to see.
    fasthandssam likes this.

  4. #4
    Member CitizenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Waco & Norman
    Posts
    9,329

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    As per spring drive watches, they're so accurate that anything better is irrelevant. Most people report under 3 seconds a month on SDs, which is just so little that I can't be bothered to care about things more accurate.

    Remember, on MOST watches, if you adjust for daylight savings time, you will "hack" the seconds hand and have to reset it anyway, meaning that, in countries with daylight savings time equivalents (or when traveling to different time zones), the accuracy can only be relevant until you change the hour/timezone. So even if a watch is accurate to 1 second a year, if you have to pull the crown for DSL, you have to set it again anyway.

    There are exceptions though. Most GMT watches, and the Citizen Chronomsater, have independently adjustable hour hands that don't stop the seconds. Also, all spring drive GMT models have independently adjustable hour hands.

  5. #5
    v76
    v76 is offline
    Member v76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    MO, USA
    Posts
    7,573

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    The Patek Philippe Seal guarantees a daily rate variation not exceeding +2 to -3s/day, this is tighter than the GS standard. And, I believe on the Tensus, Heritage Watch Manufactory assures the customer of a daily rate variation not exceeding +/-2s/day ... they claim that if it has properly been adjusted, it would be a lot less than +/-1s/day.

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    I don't know about custom made watches, but the highest rated mechanical watch are Grand Seiko 9S models. The ordinary 9S65 and 9S85 are rated for an industry best +5/-3, and they make special 9S85 models that are rated for +4/-2. Of course, those are worst case scenarios and in real life they're a lot more accurate than that.

    But there's luck of the draw in any given mechanical. I've had two mechanicals that beat most of my quartz watches (and they weren't rated especially well with accuracy). People have had great reports on the new Omega 8500 calibres, although they're officially rated for the standard COSC +6/-4.

    But, as always, your mileage may vary when it comes to watches.

    As per quartz, I don't think there's any dispute that The Citizen A660 Chronomaster is the most accurate model in the world, rated for 5 seconds a year. The new A010 may actually outperform it, but it's rated the same, so we'll just have to see.
    Last edited by v76; May 20th, 2012 at 22:34.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...


    "I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    8

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    SEIKO GRANDSEIKO SBGX061
    This Grand seiko watch +/- 10 seconds a year and outstanding quality
    Such a nice Quartz Timepiece.

    Name:  sbgx061.jpg
Views: 14842
Size:  101.1 KB
    Last edited by Robbert1967; May 20th, 2012 at 22:42.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    78

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbert1967 View Post
    SEIKO GRANDSEIKO SBGX061
    This Grand seiko watch +/- 10 seconds a year and outstanding quality
    Such a nice Quartz Timepiece.

    Name:  sbgx061.jpg
Views: 14842
Size:  101.1 KB
    I think this beats the Citizen Chronomaster on looks, interested if GS are being a little conservative on the +/- 10 sec a year (which they seem to be on the spring drive) would this match the +/-5 sec of the A660?

  8. #8
    Member Leonine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    240

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    Doesn't Bulova claim the most accurate quartz with their precisionist line?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    8

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    Bulova Precisionist is accurate to... 10 seconds... a year.
    The Grand Seiko SBGX061 is also accurate to 10 seconds a year.
    My Grand Seiko SBGT033 is accurate to 3.5 seconds a year.

  10. #10
    Member CitizenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Waco & Norman
    Posts
    9,329

    Re: What are the most accurate Quartz & Mechanical watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    The Patek Philippe Seal guarantees a daily rate variation not exceeding +2 to -3s/day, this is tighter than the GS standard. And, I believe on the Tensus, Heritage Watch Manufactory assures the customer of a daily rate variation not exceeding +/-2s/day ... they claim that if it has properly been adjusted, it would be a lot less than +/-1s/day.
    The thing is, I'd rather have +4/-2 than +2/-3.
    Last edited by CitizenM; May 21st, 2012 at 02:02.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2