Thread: What watch do I buy to hold value?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What watch do I buy to hold value?

I am looking to purchase (second-hand) another watch and would like help from serious watch lovers who are experienced and know what they are talking about. A key condition is I want a watch that doesn’t lose too much money over the years and ideally would gain in value. I am fortunate to own already a Rolex Submariner which I love and which does not appear to have lost any real money since I bought it. I like large watches and have been looking at the Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph and would welcome any comments about this watch good or bad. Having said that I am wide open to any other watch suggestion; my budget is anywhere between £1,000 and £3,500
    Many thanks
    Phil

Banned

Re: What watch do I buy to hold value?

Is there a good keyword to use so a new member could search this frequently dicsussed topic?

EDIT - found one. Searching the word "depreciation" brought up plenty of threads, including these relevant ones:

Worried about depreciation

Watches as Investment?

Do Gold Watches APPRECIATE in value?

There's pleny more to read if you enter that work in the search box.
    Last edited by ulackfocus; February 14th, 2011 at 13:07.

Banned

A Vintage Omega, Rolex, JLC, PP etc should be the ones you should look out for.
    Those watches, if in a minty condition, hould not lose so much value, even gain over the years to come!

Gold watches appreciate now, if bought for the value of the gold only. But, who knows, the value of Gold may drop severely in the future.

Any investment made without prep and understanding will end bad. Stocks, bonds, watches, cars... you name it. So, before you look to ruin this excellent hobby by looking at it as an investment - read, read, read. Then you will learn about the brands and what is worth buying and what is not. Somewhere along the way, you will see that there is an army of thousands, perhaps tens of thousands collectors and aficionados, who do this out of pure attraction but know far more than you ever will. Chances of you finding this one-rare-watch that will make your 3,5k grow over time is less than your chances of hitting the jackpot.

So. If you are looking for investment, this is not where you should look ;)

My 2c
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

I'm sure it's been said many times before on this board, but as with any investment it's a matter of risk assessment... and collecting any object carries with it a higher amount of risk than many other types of investments. For one thing the primary driver of price in collectables is always availability. The more scarce or rare an object is the more likely it will be to appreciate in value over the years. For another, value on watches rarely goes up very rapidly. In general you have to sit on a collectable object like a watch or book or whatnot for many years before you see any significant increase in value, and over that time other factors may intervene to mitigate the raw dollar increase. Furthermore, the "value" of a collectable is entirely determined by what someone is willing to pay for it, so even though you may have a watch that books at 3k, it's going to be worth a lot less if you can't find a buyer willing to fork up that much.

Ultimately I think the bottom line for most watches, with the exception of some of the highest end boutique watches, is that the best you can hope for is a piece that won't lose too much value over time. Certain watches hold value well, some of which have already been mentioned in the thread. Others lose half or more of their value the moment you take it out of the box. I'd never expect any watch to retain 100% of its value or to increase in value in any significant way. If it happens, I'll be happy but I don't expect it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tom_hanx View Post
    Chances of you finding this one-rare-watch that will make your 3,5k grow over time is less than your chances of hitting the jackpot.
    I was lucky then.....

If I follow Fakebay as price indication, I have made (potentially) about 4.5 times for what I bought it for, 6-7 years ago.

I have a couple of other pieces that I bought for far less than the "market" value.

So, it can be done. I do about one "find" evey year. And no, never on Fakebay !
    Last edited by Janne; February 14th, 2011 at 21:39.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    If I follow Fakebay as price indication, I have made (potentially) about 4.5 times for what I bought it for, 6-7 years ago.

I have a couple of other pieces that I bought for far less than the "market" value.

So, it can be done. I do about one "find" evey year. And no, never on Fakebay !
    Yes, most of us can get lucky and make a few bucks on the odd occasion too. Some of us are more diligent and end up in the black 75% of the time - but we still lose on other watches. As long as I'm breaking even I'm happy.

I don't think the OP is looking for an investment, as he states "... I want a watch that doesn't lose too much money over the years and ideally would gain in value." Put another way, the OP is just trying to buy something that won't depreciate like a brick.

I'd say the way to buy watches which don't depreciate like a brick is to buy already depreciated watches (ie. used watches - exactly what the Op states he is looking to buy), buy vintage watches as they've already depreciated and are at the point where they might appreciate and buy watches with high precious metal and mineral content (eg. gold, platinum, diamonds, rubies) as their value will serve as a hedge against further depreciation. I don't think this is the answer the OP is looking for either.

My guess is the challenge is the OP really isn't too interested in vintage watches nor precious metal/jewel watches, so limiting the discussion to recent watches, probably the safest bet is to buy a mainstream Rolex like a Cosmograph, or maybe a limited edition of a mainstream Omega like the Planet Ocean Liquid Metal or a low production volume new trick version of a classic like the Zenith El Primero Striking 10th, or maybe something like the PloProf reissue. I think the challenge the OP is posing is to pick something recent which is notable and widely desirable enough that there will be a market for the watch for the foreseeable future followed by collector interest.

Anyone care to throw out some other guesses?

I'll play, Rolex Seadweller pre DSSD, IMO these should hold their value very well or even increase depending on what watch trends regarding size do.

Banned

OK, if the Vintages are not in OP's taste, then I suggest a slightly used Rolex, JLC, PP etc.
    But those watches will lose a little bit of value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information