Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What watches do you need for a 'complete' collection?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Question What watches do you need for a 'complete' collection?

Hello all. I just started collecting watches 6 months ago and trying to decide what watches I need to have. For example, every collection should have a dress watch, a workout watch, a casual watch, etc...

My question is, if you where creating a foundation of watches for a collection, what would those 'standards' be?

What makes your collection complete or incomplete? I'm not necessarily looking for brand names - you must have a Rolex for a collection, but rather, you should have a black dial, dive watch with a SS bracelet in a collection. But don't be shy about brands, I'm always curious to see what watch brands people associate with watch types. Thanks!
    Watchalex likes this.

Re: What watches do you need for a 'complete' collection?

this has been asked before, but here is my list:

1. Diver
    2. Dress
    3. Casual
    4. Chronograph
    5. Skeleton
    6. Field/Pilot
    7. 1x Atomic Solor Quartz (so you have a reference for all your other watches :P)
    Pubcrawler likes this.
    Zenith El Primero 1969, Omega Aqua Terra 8500, Seagull ST8000SA Tourbillon, Stowa Antea KS, Rolex 14060m Submariner, Auguste Galan Moscato Skeleton Chronograph, Panerai Pam 48, Zeppelin 7618-1

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

I believe every individual collector has personal interests and a personal idea of how to go about "completing" a collection. There is no one size fits all answer.
    I like pocket watches and probably would not consider my collection complete without a late 19th century Howard. Not many others would agree with me. I don't have one by the way.
    marchone and drkay like this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

i based my collecting around purchasing watches that i liked. the problem with this method is that there are so many wonderful pieces that your collection will always feel incomplete.

i wish i had considered:
    a gmt
    a chronograph
    a diver
    a dedicated dress watch
    an abc watch
    a tank
    a tonneau
    a beater
    done!!
    marchone, Pubcrawler and Watchalex like this.
    just a guy who loves his family!

This is an even harder question to answer when you consider how every collector refines their collection as their taste in watches evolve. My answer to this question six months ago does not resemble what I would answer today. It's best to just get a feel for what you like and adjust your collection accordingly.

I'm in the process of getting rid of a bunch of watches that I "thought" belonged in my collection...but at the same time I'm funding a few pieces that will end up getting passed as heirlooms. Don't get caught up trying to check off a list...buy slowly...buy wisely.

WnS

I'm going for quality over quantity. I'm mostly a dive watch guy, I also like dress watches and race themed watches - not high on my list though.

1. A high end homage of BP Fifty Fathoms - e.g. Ocean7 LM-5
    2. A high end homage of Panerai - e.g. Lum-Tec or Magrette
    3. A chrono diver from an established brand - e.g. IWC Aquatimer Chrono or Omega Seamaster Chronodiver
    4. A high end classic - e.g. Rolex Submariner

5. Omega Aqua Terra 2500
    6. Oris RAID Chrono

Pictured: Lum-Tec M23
    Grail: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

No there is no such thing as someone specifying to someone else on what justifies a complete collection.
    JWM69 and xelerate like this.
    Regards Cam

If you follow someone else's list of "needs" you will end up with watches you really don't care for.
    Enjoy the hunt. By the time you feel you have almost "completed" your collection your taste will probably have changed. It's more fun that way as you'll always be looking to complete your collection. Your enjoyment of the hobby won't be over.
    Have fun,
    cc

You should base your collection on watches with the features, styling, movements and history that meet your interests and pocketbook. Not that of someone else. Rather than trying to establish a collection early on you should start slowly and let your interests evolve and become focused.

Quote Originally Posted by baronrojo View Post
    This is an even harder question to answer when you consider how every collector refines their collection as their taste in watches evolve. My answer to this question six months ago does not resemble what I would answer today. It's best to just get a feel for what you like and adjust your collection accordingly.

I'm in the process of getting rid of a bunch of watches that I "thought" belonged in my collection...but at the same time I'm funding a few pieces that will end up getting passed as heirlooms. Don't get caught up trying to check off a list...buy slowly...buy wisely.
    I totally agree. I'm also in the process of streamlining my collection. Somehow i've allowed it to balloon up to 12 pieces and so i'm winding down (pun intended). And my final 6 would not be an ideal situation. I'll have 1 dress watch, 1 sports/casual and 4 bracelets comprising of 1 diver, 2 gmt, and 1 dressier piece.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information