Thread: What would be a good watch for an EMT?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: What would be a good watch for an EMT?

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    Alright I'll give it some cred. I was just grumpy because their website is such cr@p and it is such a PAIT to look at an actual watch. I gave up when I was shown a close up of a buckle and some poxy (literally - it looked like that strap had the pox!) textured strap.

A lot of old watches had pulsimeters, not so popular nowadays. I guess when I see ambos at work they are often doing harder grosser stuff than counting pulses (but I've never worked in such an industry). Looks to me like tough cheap watch is what they really need, not a watch they have to worry about.

As for the G, I have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't see the 4 second hands becasue my OPC can't link to PB and Flickr and like that. What abnd attachment points? My band is screwed on, but maybe some are different? What are ou talking about? Can you insert pics?

G-Shock is a wonder of marketing. A cheap plastic digi grew into a range that is effectively Casio's flagship line. A range loved by so many worldwide, from sexy raver girls at Ginza to grunts on duty. Bt it is one of the rare instances where the product, at least in the case of mine, lives up to the hype. And Casio hasn't deserted the fundamental ethos of the concept by jacking their prices in line with demand. I don't know if you have one of these but seriously, if you don't, put down whetever you're doing and go grab one. I picked one up for when I was drunk last Friday - worn it every day since. These truly are the schizzle!

ps - before I tried mine on I didn't get what all the fuss was about.
    Ya, I was wondering if they maybe had a worldwide distribution of like ... 10 watches or something, bcs seriously...I think only 10 ppl had seen their website...ever. It does load...eventually. But it's definitely not intuitive how you get a selection to load. They ought to fire their flash developer.

When I was talking about the 4 second hands and the attachment points, it was in reference to the St. Gallens, not the G's. Sorry...pronoun misuse strikes again.

Chinese Mechanical Watches / Moderator AlbertaTime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    Alright I'll give it some cred. I was just grumpy because their website is such cr@p and it is such a PAIT to look at an actual watch.
    The website is "flash overkill" and a PITA, absolutely, Jason. I think the site is just plain poor, a technically excellent failure.

But, as Tempus Edax Rerum notes (and I think so, too), the St Gallen folks really thought about these watches and the real world requirements. I think the St Gallen watches look great, but more importantly, they have medically work-relevant design details I've never seen before.

(Too bad their website design team didn't think about website users with equivalent insight. The site is a total "triumph of form over content".)

Attachment points: the St Gallen is designed for disassembly without tools, so you can disinfect easier, faster and better; that's a bigger plus than you might expect.
    Last edited by AlbertaTime; March 20th, 2009 at 05:17.

Yeah I guess they're probably alright (still having not seen them!). I'm just in tech-gadget fantasy-land ATM.
    Meine Bratwurst has a first name,
    It's F-R-I-T-Z,
    Meine Bratwurst has a second name,
    It's S-C-H-N-A-C-K-E-N-P-F-E-F-F-E-R-H-A-U-S-E-N

Quote Originally Posted by drjohnson36 View Post
    I am an EMT, and don't know much about watches. What, in your guys' opinions, would be a good watch for my job? I work nights, sometimes in environments with little light. The watch has to be somewhat affordable, durable, resistant to water damage, and comfortable (12+ hour shifts). I like the look of tritium watches but I don't know what is the best to buy. I'm also hoping not to spend more than 300 dollars. What do you guys think would suit my needs? I like the look of the Traser P6508 Blue, but again, I don't really know much about my options.

anything with a second hand. Im a FF/EMT Lieutenant....alot of my guys wear g-shocks (i have one as well) but i prefer my luminox 1820. comfortable, second hand for counting resp and pulse and that wonderful tritium.

"Can you insert pics?"
    [/QUOTE]

Ya, the web page sucks, but I found this site that has a great review of one of there watches with pic and videos.

http://www.gifbin.com/983821

I could only find one style, but is has the same basic features as all their watches.

Great, now you guys have me wanting a G-Shock...

A G-Shock or Casio of some sort~Cheers!

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

Thread's over a year old people. Jeez, move along now, nothing to see here....
    ~not really that silent...bit of a boring, meandering, waffling, blathering blabber-mouth actually~ :D

Quote Originally Posted by tempus edax rerum View Post
    Dude, you can wear just about any watch for being an EMT. I was an EMT for 5 yrs. Personally, I like having the second hand on an analog watch versus the digital seconds readout. Mostly, it was bcs it's more intuitive to clock off two or three chapters on a chapter ring than it is to count beats while adding seconds in your head. So, unless the g-shocks come analog, it's not my preference.

You're not really going to be using the chronograph most of the time, bcs your hands are usually busy jotting down your scene assessment or holding the patient's wrist. Maybe starting the chronograph or setting the elapsed time bezel might help to measure time on scene...but that's secondary. You've got the call-in time from dispatch whether you timed it or not.

Altimeter/Baro/temp sensors...useless, really. Unless you're on the wilderness rescue squad (which I highly recommend you try to do). The thermometer isn't even accurate unless you take it off your wrist for 10 minutes.

I would definitely *not* get a marathon GSAR, bcs you will be banging that monster into ever door frame and concrete wall you walk past, with 300lbs of unconscious patient on the board. I'm not worried about the watch. But it's not what I would consider "comfortable" on scene. And eventually I'd worry about something just plain ripping the pins out of the pin holes.

Strap has to be non-organic. It can be rubber, synthetic, metal even be nylon with velcro. whatever it is, it has to be something you don't mind washing vomit and other bodily fluids out of, so leather is out.

Whether something is auto vs. quartz doesn't matter from an EMT perspective. Whether a watch loses a few seconds a month is really inconsequential in today's world of always having easy reference times around, so I wouldn't worry about it much.

So, really...the EMT's requirements aren't all that taxing on watches. It's nice to have an analog face, nice to have synthentic strap/bracelet...that's about it. The Trasers are kind of cool, if they have a lumed second hand. But again, you're definitely going to have a torch on hand. Hell, you'll have a torch and a couple of cops to hold it for you.

When I was an EMT, I really didn't even think about what was on my wrist...just so long as I had a running second counter, I was happy. I was switching between a timex ironman and a Seiko dress watch most of the time.
    Im also in the healthcare field and Id have to agree with what he is saying, in all of the work Ive done, my primary use for a watch was while taking a pulse and timing certain events. In other words a second hand and maybe even a diving bezel come in handy you dont really need any other functions. Since you will be in the "field" Id also recomend something with a backlight, and an uncluttered face with a simple display preferably with all 12 numbers, in arabic to avoid confusion. you can go with rubber or stainless steel, Id prefer SS. quartz or auto doesnt make much of difference but if you need an ocasional light then quartz is the way to go unless you have a handy penlight..... Day and date functions could also be of use. and keep in mind you will have to wash your hands alot. Oh and if possible somthing with rounded edges..you can scratch a patient with a sharp edge...(trust me )

Suggestions: Glycine combat automatic
    TaWaTec ICS Black Titan Diver 300m, TWT.96.88.11 T
    victorinox might also be helpfull

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information