Watchuseek, The Most Visited Watch Forum Site ... In The World.

What would be a good watch for an EMT?

Thread: What would be a good watch for an EMT?

Tags: None
  1. drjohnson36 said:

What would be a good watch for an EMT?

I am an EMT, and don't know much about watches. What, in your guys' opinions, would be a good watch for my job? I work nights, sometimes in environments with little light. The watch has to be somewhat affordable, durable, resistant to water damage, and comfortable (12+ hour shifts). I like the look of tritium watches but I don't know what is the best to buy. I'm also hoping not to spend more than 300 dollars. What do you guys think would suit my needs? I like the look of the Traser P6508 Blue, but again, I don't really know much about my options.

2. Beyond 'The Box' said:

Re: What would be a good watch for an EMT?

I think Luminox and Traser make affordable watches with tritium tubes. Marathon makes what I believe is the GSAR, which is a tritium tube watch, however it's rather large in height, due to a hefty "tool" bezel. I was going to suggest a G-Shock of some sorts for ya at first, but it sounds like you're pretty geared toward Tritium and to be honest, I'm not a fan of having to press a button to light the watches face/dial, I'd rather have luminous hands and markers. I really love my new Benarus Sea Devil, the white dial version is a fully luminous dial and I tested it for over 8 hours straight, it was still blazing and easily readable at a moments glance (except they're more like $400).

V8 said:

G-shock, there are many models with automatic back lights. They are durable, and can be very inexpensive, I got a 5600 from Amazon for $29 and it came with a nice Casio calculator.

If I had your job I'd wear a G to work and have nicer stuff for casual wear.
    MOTORCITYWATCHWORKS

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

4. Beyond 'The Box' said:

Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    G-shock, there are many models with automatic back lights. They are durable, and can be very inexpensive, I got a 5600 from Amazon for $29 and it came with a nice Casio calculator.

If I had your job I'd wear a G to work and have nicer stuff for casual wear.
    I remember hearing that somewhere, so how does that work, the auto backlighting? I'm not sure I'd like that either, as someone who's active with their hands might have it coming on so often that it really wears the battery life out much quicker than necessary. Can you set how long the backlight comes on for on those things? That might help. I'm not sure how much the backlight drains the batteries on those things, maybe I'm way off there.

g-whiz said:

+1 on the G-shock. If I were an EMT that's what I would wear. And there are so many models and designs from which to choose, you could easily find something you would like, and it'd be tough as nails.

The auto backlight (auto EL they call it) can be set to on or off, your choice. It can drain the battery more if it comes on a lot (only does at night when watch is tilted beyond I think 30 deg front to back), but I *think* the "tough solar" models would eliminate that problem, assuming they even have auto EL on them.
    Current rotation:
    Debaufre Nav-B 48mm ETA 2824-2
    Seiko Orange Monster SKX781K1
    Seiko Black Monster SKX779K1
    Seiko Blue Samurai Titanium SBDA003
    Seiko Black Samurai SNM011
    Seiko White Samurai SNM009
    Seiko White Knight SKXA47
    Seiko Classic Diver SKX173
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic Auto Relay SNG045
    Seiko Sportura Chronograph SPC045
    Citizen Eco-Drive Sport Diver Chronograph H500-S025770
    Too many others to mention

krazyjoe66 said:

I thought G right away also, being an EMT it has tools you could use. I have a Casio Pathfinder Solar with the auto light and it works really well, when I snap my wrist for a time check the light comes on but not during normal motion. It's loaded with tools, compass, altimeter, temperature, five alarms, three stop/count down watches. The instruction manual is like a small phone book for those slow nights

polaco23 said:

i thought G-Shock too, but id rather have something out of stainless on bracelet in case you get any "fluids" on the watch, you can easily clean it off with hot water.

My buddy is an EMT, and he uses a fossil on bracelet that i bought him, but he wants a traser now, because of the lume.

I told him to go buy it himself this time!

RJRJRJ said:

My first though was a gshock as well. You are probably dealing with metal equipment a lot and your watch will probably bang against stuff. It probably would be a good idea to bang a patient head with a Marathon either Plus the g is easy enough to wash off.

Get yourself a gshock and spend the rest on whatever you want to wear in your personal time.
    -RJ

Breitling Superocean II
    Breitling Navitimer
    Breitling Avenger Skyland
    Breitling Colt II Auto
    Breitling Superocean Steelfish

Panerai 320
    Locman Tonneau
    G-Shock DW-5600WC-1ER

G-Shock DW-6900R-7

9. HilltopMichael said:

If you like tritium watches, Luminox is a fine watch. There are various styles available, many of which would fit in your price range.

The tritium glows quite well when it's new, but it does loose it's brightness over time. It gets to half it's brightness in about 12 years. While I was very impressed when I got my Luminox in 1996, it only took a few years before I found glow to be almost useless. Sure, my watch still glows 13 years after I got it, but I can only see it if my eyes are adapted to the dark.

Now I much prefer a watch with good luminous markers and hands. When they're initially charged they're super bright, but they do decay rapidly. Still, many will glow all through the night. A big advantage is when you're coming from outside during the day into a dark room - your eyes haven't yet adjusted to the darker conditions, but the watch glows so brightly it's easily visible.

Many watches that use SuperLuminova will glow very brightly, especially if they have larger hands and markers. However, I can't think of any off hand that are under $300 - although there very well may be some available. Seiko also has some wonderfully bright watches. A Seiko Black or Orange Monster is hard to beat. That's actually what I would recommend if you just need basic time keeping. Get it on the stainless steel bracelet. It's comfortable, durable and should be easy to clean when needed. It's also about half of your budget.

10. RCole said:

I'm definitely not an EMT, but I'd think that the watches that work best in Iraq would work best for an EMT. There's a good piece somewhere on the net (can't find it now), on what people are actually wearing in Iraq, and the most popular seemed to be G-Shocks, Suuntos and Luminoxes.

Like somebody said, it also depends on whether you want a watch that looks good off duty. I have a Marathon TSAR, which is good-looking (IMO) and built like a tank but a bit more spendy. If you look for a while you can pick up a nice one for $350.

You could also consider a Marathon Navigator at about half that price, with basically the same watch inside. It has fixed spring bars so you wear it with a military-type one-piece band, which would not be a bad idea for an EMT. With a conventional two-piece band, if a springbar breaks or lets go your watch takes a fall, not true with a one-piece band. The nylon one-piece bands are also washable.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2