What's the actual purpose oh hacking? - Page 3
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: What's the actual purpose oh hacking?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: What's the actual purpose oh hacking?

Hacking function is a cool feature to have on a watch. Especially given the military history application.
    Sevenmack likes this.

It's easier to get the minute hand to be aligned with hacking seconds.

I also have 3 HAQs. I check the accuracy on them a couple times a year, plus the resets for DST changes. Since they're off by only a few seconds, getting them set right is rather more important.
    Sevenmack likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

All the reasons posted are legit, but in my humble opinion it all comes down to one thing: We're watch people an we take any opportunity to fiddle with our watches as a welcome diversion. Hack it, set it, check it, clean it, polish it, buy a strap, change the strap, change it back, time a meeting with the bezel, display it, post about it when appropriate, flip it when you're done, repeat with new watch. Just another symptom of the disease we all share.
    pauliedoggs, run23, mleok and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    Hacking is useful for actually measuring accuracy, and a lot of people like to make sure their second and minute hands sync up. And, of course, there was a time when it was useful for syncing multiple watches closely together. But, yes, it doesn't have much practical value today. Several popular, expensive watch movements don't hack, and people get by just fine without it.
    I would disagree on practical value. If you care about accuracy (within the limitation of wearing a mechanical), hacking matters because it is critical to accurate and precise timekeeping. Certainly other factors -- including proper regulation of the movement -- can matter. But a well-regulated watch without hacking is no better than a unregulated watch with without hacking.

Another thing is that hacking makes timekeeping more convenient. Instead of doing that ridiculous wind-back of the second hand to set the watch accurately, hacking stops the second hand where you need it to do the job.

As for expensive brands offering non-hacking movements: Many of them (notably Patek Philippe and Zenith with the El Primero) can get away with not offering hacking because of brand name. Also, they get away with it because people can't ask for what isn't being offered; if Patek offered watches with hacking, there would be demand for it to put hacking movements into all of its watches.
    run23 likes this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

Obviously it's so when you play Laser Quest the leader can say "synchronise watches" to make it seem more real.
    pauliedoggs and OvrSteer like this.

Regardless of whether a watch gains, loses or dances a jig hacking allows the owner to quickly and accurately set the watch to a known datum point (often an atomic clock)

While you cannot outright stop the second hand in a non-hacking watch by pulling out the crown, you can temporarily pause forward motion (and in some cases reverse it slightly) by slowly adjusting the time backwards.

While I can't guarantee this is true for all movements, with the El Primero all you need to do is slowly dial the hands backward to pause the second hand, and wait for the seconds in real time (using whatever clock/computer/phone you choose) to catch up to the watch second hand and then adjust the minute hand forward to the correct time.

Or you can do a bit of a back and forth movement with the minute hand until the real time catches up... whatever your preference.

Granted, this take a moment of effort not required on a hacking movement, but it's trivial to accomplish and is not required terribly often... unless you feels the need to manually adjust the second had on your watch every day.
    Ball - Concord - Ebel - Maurice Lacroix - Omega - Rolex

Clears your lungs.
    BarracksSi and Ukal like this.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    You mean you pull the crown on all your stored watches? Doesn't that open you up to moisture getting in?
    I think it depends on the watch and brand. Many dive watches have several stem tube gaskets because they assume some brainiac will attempt to set the time
    while under water.

I hack some of my cheaper quartz watches in order to prolong battery life. But it may increase the chance of dust and moisture getting in.
    Last edited by Chris Stark; June 19th, 2017 at 21:43.
    -- I own watches starting with the letters B, C, D, H, I, L, M, O, R, S, T, and V --
    "
    If time be of all things the most precious, wasting time must be the greatest prodigality" -Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCanale View Post
    While you cannot outright stop the second hand in a non-hacking watch by pulling out the crown, you can temporarily pause forward motion (and in some cases reverse it slightly) by slowly adjusting the time backwards.

While I can't guarantee this is true for all movements, with the El Primero all you need to do is slowly dial the hands backward to pause the second hand, and wait for the seconds in real time (using whatever clock/computer/phone you choose) to catch up to the watch second hand and then adjust the minute hand forward to the correct time.

Or you can do a bit of a back and forth movement with the minute hand until the real time catches up... whatever your preference.

Granted, this take a moment of effort not required on a hacking movement, but it's trivial to accomplish and is not required terribly often... unless you feels the need to manually adjust the second had on your watch every day.
    Works with non-hacking Seiko movements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information