What's the actual purpose oh hacking?
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: What's the actual purpose oh hacking?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What's the actual purpose oh hacking?

Sorry for the ignorance, but I can't actually see the purpose of hacking. Hacking in mechanical watches means to stop the second hand when setting time right?
    If you use this feature to set the time accurately to the second, what's its purpose when mechanical watches have error of around +- 5 sec/day?
    mooncameras likes this.

Re: What's the actual purpose oh hacking?

speak for yourself, my Nomos Club has been +/- 1 second for the past 3 days.
    It also lets you see how much it gains/loses daily
    Sevenmack and MHeather like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Personally, I hack all of my watches while stored, though I might be alone in that practice. This does two things for me: 1. I save wear and tear on the internal mechanisms and 2. They stay wound so I just need to set the time and go. As you mentioned it also allows you to perfectly sync the second hand to the current time.
    Sevenmack likes this.

Sorry to be flip, but isn't the answer obvious? My daily wearer is at like +0.3 sec/day on average, which is obviously fantastic and pretty rare. I can hack it to be right on, and then reset every couple of months when it gets to around +20 sec/day (or, in the real world usually when I change time zones for a trip every month or two). My other regular wearer is at like -7 sec/day, so if I'm wearing it for a few days in a row I'll set it at around 10-15 seconds slow and not worry about it. If I'm wearing every day I'll reset once per week. My vintage DeVille needs to be serviced and is at around +20-25 sec/day, so I set every time I wear it, which is like once every couple of weeks.

I'm not that much of a freak about dead on accuracy, but (especially with a well-regulated watch), why wouldn't you want to set it accurately?
    Sevenmack likes this.

Some mechanical watches are accurate enough that it does matter. My two COSC certified watches vary only a few seconds a day.

It could also be argued that because of a mechanical watches inaccuracy, that the hacking feature is a must so the watch can be set as accurate as possible. No sense in adding to the watches variation with an inaccurate time setting right off the bat.

No. Most automatic watches *don't* fall into the +-5 second category. Just letting you know. Someone else will give you more specific details I would think. I just don't feel like typing more right now. It's so darn hot where I live.

No. Most automatic watches *don't* fall into the +-5 second category.
    His point is that mechanical watches aren't especially accurate. Most mechanical watches are worse than +/-5spd, which makes his observation even more valid.

Hacking is useful for actually measuring accuracy, and a lot of people like to make sure their second and minute hands sync up. And, of course, there was a time when it was useful for syncing multiple watches closely together. But, yes, it doesn't have much practical value today. Several popular, expensive watch movements don't hack, and people get by just fine without it.
    dlee525 likes this.

CLP
    The actual purpose (or at least one of the more logical ones) was for military use.

Picture an entire squad trying to sync their watches precisely without being able to stop the second hands on each watch?
    MZhammer, mleok, rfortson and 2 others like this.

lvt

I actually use the hacking function to make sure that my watch has a recent movement, not one of the old ones that don't hack.
    OvrSteer and Vlance like this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Usually hacking is good for getting rid of hairballs or expelling phlegm. As in, "Holy moly! My $10k swiss watch is +6 seconds since yesterday (cough, cough, gack, hack)."
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Omega Speedmaster Pro "Moon to Mars", Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Grand Seiko SBGT035, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Credor Node HAQ, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, ​Glycine Airman SST-12, Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Steinhart Nav-B 44 bronze, Casio G-Shock Rangeman 9400-3
    Technically, the wife's watches: Omega Speedmaster Triple Date, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Junghans Max Bill, Ball Engineer Genesis II, Shinola Runwell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information