Where do you guys buy used watches? - Page 3

Thread: Where do you guys buy used watches?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    Member mikeukrainetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    401

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Ive bought a lot on the bay but find the descriptions of condition extremely varied and hard to judge until the product arrives. Unless whatever you happen to buy on the bay is worth making the effort to reclaim you wind up being dissatisfied. Typically I dont mind buying anything from anyone with enough research. Theres tons of places to buy used but I now check the sales forum here first - my last two purchases were made here on the forum with another in process.
    Ive never had a problem with either paypal nor ebay and have had the same account for almost 8 years. My only complaints are the fees. My account was hijacked last month and they had it resolved live within a couple of hours.

  2. #22
    Member NutellaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Do your homework (study pictures of real versions of the watch you want), and develop a good relationship with a watchmaker. As Ray stated above, make all transactions pending an authenticity check. I only use Paypal on eBay for the very reasons brought up.
    +1

    But I go one step further and look at the replicas too. Just Google for "XYZ replicas" and see what it turns up. They will usually be all over the place as far as quality. In order to show how well the replica is done, they usually put up a lot of closeups. Some you can tell from 20 feet away that they are fakes. And some are so close you'd better lookat the movement. They typically use a fixed set of substitute movements so once you know what to look for you can reliably spot them.

    I started doing this when I almost got taken once. I fortuately used a credit card but it took time to resolve. Of all things on a Rado Sintra that I bought for a wedding gift on eBay. I didn't look all that closely at it on the listing because I didn't think--at the time--that a ceramic watch could be duplicated. Wrong! Although I would never have caught it from the pictures of the case. Since it was a gift, I went to put a new battery in it because you never know how long some of the battery watches have been sitting around when you buy them at auction. Did not want to give a wedding gift and then have it stop running after a month or two. Opened it up and immediately saw that this couldn't be a Swiss movement. Doh!

    -T

  3. #23
    Member NutellaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: depends...

    Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    firstly, not 100% sure but the paypal buyer protection against fraud may have a cap of $2000.

    not all watch and pawn shops are capable of verifying some rarer stuff.

    also, it's not just fake watches you have to worry about. fake bracelets has appeared on the Bay on occasion and these can fool even the knowledgable ones (if you don't have a genuine specimen to compare against).
    I am not sure how I feel about fake bracelets. I know that a fake bracelet with a copyrighted name on it is a no-no. But not all bracelets have the brand name on the clasp. So if you buy a bracelet with no infringing information on it but is an exact replica of the genuine version, not sure if I should get worked up about it.

    -T

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post
    +1

    But I go one step further and look at the replicas too. Just Google for "XYZ replicas" and see what it turns up. They will usually be all over the place as far as quality. In order to show how well the replica is done, they usually put up a lot of closeups. Some you can tell from 20 feet away that they are fakes. And some are so close you'd better lookat the movement. They typically use a fixed set of substitute movements so once you know what to look for you can reliably spot them.

    I started doing this when I almost got taken once. I fortuately used a credit card but it took time to resolve. Of all things on a Rado Sintra that I bought for a wedding gift on eBay. I didn't look all that closely at it on the listing because I didn't think--at the time--that a ceramic watch could be duplicated. Wrong! Although I would never have caught it from the pictures of the case. Since it was a gift, I went to put a new battery in it because you never know how long some of the battery watches have been sitting around when you buy them at auction. Did not want to give a wedding gift and then have it stop running after a month or two. Opened it up and immediately saw that this couldn't be a Swiss movement. Doh!

    -T
    how long did that take to resolve? I am in a similar situation right now

  5. #25
    Member kiwidj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ~TYO~
    Posts
    36,766

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by hall View Post
    wus sales forum and ebay from sellers with a lot of good feedback.
    +1


  6. #26
    Member NutellaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    how long did that take to resolve? I am in a similar situation right now
    Three months--and that was only because I had a watchmaker friend with a business willing to give me a letter stating that it was a fake based on my word and a closeup picture to keep it honest. The credit card company wanted a professional appraisal before issuing the chargeback. If I had to go to someone to get the letter it would have taken longer and cost me money.

    I still have the watch. Sell it to you for a good price! Has a nice case but I hear Rado is picky about their name. <joking>

    Don't really know what to do with it. Guess I should take a hammer to it, but the thought hurts my mind even if it is a fake.

    -T

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post
    Three months--and that was only because I had a watchmaker friend with a business willing to give me a letter stating that it was a fake based on my word and a closeup picture to keep it honest. The credit card company wanted a professional appraisal before issuing the chargeback. If I had to go to someone to get the letter it would have taken longer and cost me money.

    I still have the watch. Sell it to you for a good price! Has a nice case but I hear Rado is picky about their name. <joking>

    Don't really know what to do with it. Guess I should take a hammer to it, but the thought hurts my mind even if it is a fake.

    -T
    Did you pay through paypal or cc? was this through ebay?

  8. #28
    Member NutellaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    Did you pay through paypal or cc? was this through ebay?
    It was purchased on eBay using a credit card on Paypal. Both eBay and Paypal were totally worthless in solving the problem since the seller wouldn't respond to any coorspondance, naturally enough. The seller didn't have much in the way of existing feedback (I think something like 20 sales).

    But you need to follow the dispute process from eBay and Paypal to the letter before you have your cc company issue the chargeback, or else Paypal will try to recoup through your directly linked bank account. Then you have a whole new set of problems. The moment you suspect something ary, you need to initiate the dispute process on eBay. That takes a few weeks for response deadlines. One eBay says they can't do anything about it, you have to give Paypal a chance which will take another week or two. Then you go to your cc company and tell them to do a chargeback. The cc company may have some requriements of their own, like in my case they wanted a professional appraisal. I don't know if they are entitled to ask for this type of documentation by law. In other words if you say "Bulls***, I am not getting an apprasial now issue the chargeback", if they would be required to do so. I got them a letter since it was a simple step for me.

    If the seller had higher feedback I probably would have had more formalized buyer protection coverage from eBay. One thing for sure, it would have been a total loss for me if I had used a checking account payment through Paypal.

    -T

  9. #29
    kjw
    kjw is offline
    Member kjw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A stone's throw from Little Rock
    Posts
    2,294

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Sales forum here. I don't buy watches on Ebay anymore
    I agree with this and have had only good experiences in purchasing (and selling) to long term WUS members. There are alot of great guys at WUS. I may never buy a brand new watch again.
    The current collection:
    Bulova Percisionist Claremont, G-Shock Solar G2800B-1V, Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS, Irreantum Magellan, Orient Bambino, Oris TT1, Seiko Black Monster, Seiko FFF, Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Soxa, Seiko Yobokies Mod, Timex Expedition

    Long Gone (Sold)
    Alpha Explorer, Alpha Planet Orange, Alpha Skeleton, Alpha Speedmaster, Aristo Dakar, Bernhardt Sea Shark (Traded), Bulova Marine Star, Deep Blue, T25, Elgin 1940's Vintage, Invicta Diver 9310A, Invicta 6015 Pro Diver, Invicta Pro Diver Abyss 2686, Invicta Scooby 6928, Invicta Vintage Collection Model 2805, Halios Holotype, Mido Ocean Star Powerwind, Orient Blue Mako, Orient Internal Bezel, Orient Power Reserve, Orient Thunder, Sabra Mechanical, Seagull M177s, Seiko Chronograph, Seiko Sea Urchin, Seiko SKX009, Seiko SNZH53K1, Jacques Lemans Classic (Traded), Timex Ironman, Tissot LeLocle, Vostok Hand Wind, Alpha Seamaster, ...... Militare, Vostok Europe N1, Vostok Amphibian

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58

    Re: Where do you guys buy used watches?

    Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post

    1. It was purchased on eBay using a credit card on Paypal. Both eBay and Paypal were totally worthless in solving the problem since the seller wouldn't respond to any coorspondance, naturally enough. The seller didn't have much in the way of existing feedback (I think something like 20 sales).

    2. But you need to follow the dispute process from eBay and Paypal to the letter before you have your cc company issue the chargeback, or else Paypal will try to recoup through your directly linked bank account. Then you have a whole new set of problems.

    3. The moment you suspect something awry, you need to initiate the dispute process on eBay. That takes a few weeks for response deadlines. One eBay says they can't do anything about it, you have to give Paypal a chance which will take another week or two. Then you go to your cc company and tell them to do a chargeback.



    -T
    Thanks for your response, it has been helpful. I just have a few questions

    1. Even if the seller didn't respond..shouldn't paypal have refunded the amount through seller protection? And even if they couldn't recover the money from the sellers bank account if he withdrew it, don't they still have to pay you back?

    2. Why would paypal take money out of your checking account if you have already paid the seller and you are trying to get your money back? that seems counter intuitive.

    2. I skipped the ebay part and filed a dispute via paypal, is that ok to do? Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2