Why do people insist on wearing huge watches? When did this start? - Page 9
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Why do people insist on wearing huge watches? When did this start?

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Re: Why do people insist on wearing huge watches? When did this start?

Quote Originally Posted by novedl View Post
    So your telling me that watch makers 50 years ago made their watches to impress other watchmakers? I wonder how the purchasing public felt about the incredibly shrinking wrist watch?

TristanZ's statement confirms to me that large watches are not a trend; they are currently what the people want.
    Of course they built watches to impress other watch manufacturers. That's always been the case, and is still the case today!

Back in the '30s, '40s and '50s, small meant expensive... or at least was meant to convey the impression of expensive. Mediocre watch manufacturers couldn't compete with the JLCs (for example) of the world in building extremely small, but very accurate, watch movements. Today it seems that people associate large with expensive... the Cadillacization of watches, if you will. At some point the pendulum will swing back, at least to some extent. Tastes change. Personally, I tend to go as small as I can, in large part because I have no desire to have my taste in watches seconded by a celebrity chef covered in tattoos or a rapper who thinks wearing his pants at knee level is a good idea. I'd rather have the sort of watch Cary Grant would have worn, as opposed to the one now being worn by Lil Wayne.
    brummyjon and mgscheue like this.
    TristanZ

Audemars Piguet | Bulova | Caravelle | Elgin | Eterna | Gerald Genta | Hamilton | IWC | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Junghans | LeCoultre | Longines | Nomos | Omega | RGM | Rolex | Seiko | Tudor | Vache
    ron Constantin

Horologium manuale meum stitit.

I think the general adoption of it started in da hood! There were always outlier tool watches around. But big watches as a fashion trend started with ostentacious jewelry displays in the hip-hop and go-go crowds during the late 80's / early 90's. "Bling bling" just kind of went hand in hand with the music and the vibe. And as in a long line of previous items from Black American culture, it was then co-opted by suburban kids trying to be big city urban cool. Then it became a meme and went everywhere else. Except in New Jersey where ostentatious displays of jewelry were the norm all along!

So seriously, you can thank Flavor Flav for the big watch look with an assist from Lil Wayne for the term "bling bling".
    redcow likes this.
    Benzinger Custom Skeletonized Star movement.

So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Last edited by Longhair; June 10th, 2012 at 08:35.
    paulopiper and Hoozah like this.

My only problem with the oversized watch trend is that (with the exception of the reduced AT watches), practically all the cool new watches are of this oversized variety. The EZM6 being an example of a watch whose technology I love, but the size of which makes it impractical for me.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Speedbird I, MR-G120, GW-5000 G-Shocks; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley
    I have found a source for ETA-28XX compatible destro dials (9 o'clock crown, 3 o'clock window). If you're curious of the source feel free to send me a PM.

OzO
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhair View Post

What The Fudge is that??!?!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

Still prefer the radiomir egiziano compared to that musk watch,i wanna see how does egiziano looks on my 6,5 inch flat top wrist
    Personally i wear big watches because i find it easier to check the time and i simply like the way panerai looks,that simple (somewhat spartan) dial
    Having said that,my usual watch is 44mm pam 177/111 with 45 mm pam 292 and 47 mm pam 372 in rotation and I personally don't care if people judge me by my big watch,I wear it not to impress anyone..

Quote Originally Posted by OzO View Post
    What The Fudge is that??!?!
    The reason why the big watch trend will never be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Hmmm...Why do people wear very large watches? The answer would seem self evident. Do you suppose people wear large watches to create fodder for inane discussions like this? Or do you suppose they actually like large watches?

I like this answer.

Having a 9inch wrist myself anything I wear smaller than 43mm looks like a pimple saying this all my watch apart from my departed dads Rolex are 43mm all the way through to my Polprof 48mm x 54mm and this looks quite normal on me.

Cheers
    Mark.

i dont know when it started, but it has begun when people get more and more selfconfident to wear what they like instead of wearing what selfclaimed experts tell them to wear
    Hawaiiwatch likes this.

Thread Information