Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Why Do You Wear a Watch?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Why Do You Wear a Watch?

Watches look cool thats ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by cbaytan View Post
    Thanks to cell phones, the need for the wrist watches for only telling the time becomes les and less important...
    I really don't understand this argument. In my experience, this applies only for school kids, and those who are glued to their phone. Professionals and/or highly successful people almost invariably wear watches, unless there is a good reason not too (i.e., they interfere with the performance of their duties). If one is in a meeting with professionals and wants to know the time, one does not reach in one's pocket and whip out a phone; instead one discreetly glances at one's watch for .3 seconds. By extension, the argument that the cell phone has replaced the watch, is almost as ludicrous as arguing that the facebook page has replaced the need for the wedding/engagement ring because all of the people who know an individual are aware of their marrital/engagement status. There is a history, tradition, and style that extends beyond the function.
    Monocrom likes this.
    In the works: RGM '801 ES Motor Barrel'

"The stuff that dreams are made of…"

Because when I strap my watch to my wrist, it puts a smile on my face. Watches are historical in design, and whether they are a modern quartz, retro piece, or a mechanical marvel, we are honoring a tradition that has existed for two centuries. As a professional, I would look goofy and unprofessional reaching for my iPhone everytime I wanted to know what time it is. I can certainly glance at my watch in a fraction of a second and that brief glance, still brings me immeasurable pleasure. Now, if I could just be happy with "A" watch. Alas, that seems not in the cards. This forum has ruined me for life and I fear many more purchases will be in my future!
    Last edited by RBrylawski; October 11th, 2012 at 05:34.
    The Good Watches:
    UTS 1000M V2 -
    # 087/200
    Grand Seiko SBGR083 - # 575/700
    Muhle Glashutte - 29er BIG -
    Ebel - 1911 BTR 137 Chronograph

Baume and Mercier - Capeland Flyback
    Lew and Huey - Acionna - Blue - # 001
    Jaeger LeCoultre - Reverso

The Weekend Beater Watches:
    Philip Stein - Active
    Glam Rock - Gulfstream

I'd admire a Pretty Watch even if it was sitting on a pile of dog-doo. Yes, I would!

"So many watches, so little time" Since we're all friends here on WUS, feel free to call me
    Rod

I have clocks in my truck and on my phone, and even on some of the equipment I use every day. I wear a watch because I just love the character and mechanical complexity of a watch. I like how it makes me feel, and yes - I like what it says about me: that I am traditional; that I have style; that I am successful; that I am rugged; that I am nostalgic.
    One of my very favorite parts of every day is, after I've dressed, getting to choose which watch best represents my style, my mood, and my goals for that day. It's often a very hard decision as I have over 80 watches, but I truly love the satisfaction of choosing just the right watch.

A gentleman always wear a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by wristclock View Post
    I wear a watch because I'm soooo much smarter than the multitude of the unrefined masses that use cell phones and wall clocks and digital car clocks. Instead I spent thousands of dollars on an archaic machine that is less accurate than a 10$ digital at wall mart.....but hey at least I think it looks pretty sweet on my wrist. I also seek approval from random people on Internet watch forums when I post pictures and they "like" my watch and it gives me validation that I didn't really waste my money on a "stupid watch" as my friends would say.
    LOL

You might be happier over there:

Cell Phone & Carrier News - Cell Phone Forums

wristclock likes this.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Inactive

Because it's there.

I wear a watch because I enjoy wearing them.
    I'd like to know the time with a flick of a wrist and I love to stare at it sweeping or ticking whenever I'm bored.
    A chronograph is a definite plus, I like to time things, waiting in line etc.

I have two cell phones that I use every day (one personal, one job-related) and almost all my working day relates to sitting in front of a computer. But when i want to check the time I always look at the watch on my hand. Always. A cell phone is for making and receiving phone calls, a computer is for computing and visiting watchuseek. My watches tell the time my way.

Giving life and purpose to an obsolete mechanical watch (which according to some, has a soul) makes me feel like a saviour and a god.

I should note that I am also prone to illusions of grandeur.
    wristclock and Monocrom like this.

Thread Information