Thread: Why Renata?

Question Why Renata?

I've looked around online n it seems there's a general consensus that Renata (swiss made) batteries do leak! Not always but they do leak! And i'm not talking about when the batt is flat n left in the watch for a long time. It can leak while the watch is still ticking.

Then i see some batteries like Maxell that says it'll be responsible for the damage if their batt leak in a watch. Does that mean they are confident that Maxell batt don't leak? I've also seen some dry cells that says their batt is guaranteed not to leak.

In other words,it seems like Renata isn't the best option. So why do ADs or service centres use Renata for swiss made watches? Is it 'cos Renata is truly better or they just think a swiss made watch needs a swiss made batt?

Are there any of us who use Sony/Energizer/Maxell on a swiss made watch without any issue? I'm just wondering if Renata is not the best choice after all.

Re: Why Renata?

have you checked who owns Renata?

Swatch Group

Quote Originally Posted by justsellbrgs View Post
    have you checked who owns Renata?

Swatch Group

Then why does TAG use Renata? Why would LVMH support its rival? Is it 'cos Swatch Grp dictates that since TAG uses eta quartz, they must use their batt too?

So in truth,Renata is not superior to Maxell/Sony/Energizer watch batt? N thus it doesn't matter which brand of batt i use as long as it's not some cheapo no brand batt?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Because Renata is Swiss and counts toward "Swiss-ness" of the movement.

TAG buys ETA movements, why not batteries?

Batteries leak because the chemical reaction that produces the voltage also produces hydrogen gas, over time the gas pressure builds up inside the battery and the battery pops like a balloon. OK, it just cracks open to vent the pressure, but in any case the structural integrity of the case is compromised and the electrolyte chemical, potassium hydroxide spills out, which is corrosive..

Depending on how well the battery is constructed governs how long it takes to pop, so once your battery stops supplying power to run whatever it is in, remove it.

This goes for alkaline D, C, AA, AAA, 9V, except the waste chemical from the reactions is potassium hydroxide,
    Last edited by lysanderxiii; January 26th, 2010 at 02:28.
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Because Renata is Swiss and counts toward "Swiss-ness" of the movement.
    So other than that,there's no reason why i should use Renata on my swiss made watches?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by niles316 View Post
    So other than that,there's no reason why i should use Renata on my swiss made watches?
    And, ETA movements come from the factory with a supply of Renata batteries...
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    And, ETA movements come from the factory with a supply of Renata batteries...
    And initially i thought Renata is superior considering boutiques charge like $15 for a $1 batt. So i guess the 'swiss made' label doesn't always equate to better quality..more like a flourish at the end of a signature.

Interesting..i wonder what's gonna happen when Swatch Grp stops selling their movements to other companies though that's another story... Will TAG start using Maxell batts? Always a pleasure to have lysander in a thread. Thanks,man :)

Quote Originally Posted by niles316 View Post
    Is it 'cos Renata is truly better or they just think a swiss made watch needs a swiss made batt?
    Seems to be the case more often than not~Cheers!

Thread Information