Voters
171. This poll is closed
  • Omega

91 53.22%
  • Rolex

80 46.78%
Like Tree3126Likes

Thread: Will Omega ever be as good as Rolex

Page 28 of 280 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Re: Will Omega ever be as good as Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    One should have the self awareness to understand that simple words are often a means to convey an image rather than what is naturally presented and typically understood by oneself so even if one understands that the presented representation does not necessarily match ones own understanding, that it doesn't mean that an alternative and equally valid representation doesn't also exist that can also be understood to convey, conceptually, the same meaning to one.

I saw what you did there.
    Last edited by BigSeikoFan; June 7th, 2016 at 19:15.
    Ticonderoga likes this.
    Which watch company would you buy if you had $178 BILLION?

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenmack View Post
    I think I need another cigarette...
    Sevenmack likes this.
    I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

Some of my bracelets and straps cost more than all of my friends watches... not a WIS in the bunch!

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    A very Freudian view of the world. Do not make the mistake of extrapolation from your individual motivations and desires to a universal truth.
    I was just trying to think of why certain qualities are desirable.

Let's try to think of another theory then: high quality seems to correlate with what is considered right or correct. e.g. Timing accuracy is probably the most objective, quantifiable measure of quality. How about other more subjective qualities? How does one judge? What is the right or correct shape? I would say the right or correct shape would be one that appeals to most people. What appeals to most people? Certain things that most people are bound to like. What are things that most people are bound to like? Sex. So sexy, curvy shapes most people are probably bound to like.

e.g. Recently, I was looking at my cheapest watch. The lugs and side case profile looked almost like that of the oyster case, except it's kind of pointy at the ends. Not round enough, looks kind of cheap. Would look better if it's rounder. Why? Something about curves and roundness that I like. Etc. etc. to the sexy stuff. Related read: Breasts in the McDonald's Logo? | Magnetic State

I guess people could like blocky, rectangular watches. I might argue that cars nowadays are for the most part very curvy because curvy is appealing (because underlying that, it's sexy), and most watches are round instead of rectangular because curves are more appealing to most.

My theory was an attempt to objectivize the subjective a bit, by asking why. I was trying to come up with universal truth because if there is some sort of universal truth or at least a good theory, then people would not need to argue in circles and not get anywhere. Understanding the causes help to predict the effects.

If others have other theories, would be interesting to read them.

Maybe another theory is how well an object matches its function would determine what is high quality. Maybe shapes that hug the wrist the best would not stick out and bump into things, so lugs that curve and not stick out are higher quality. This line of thinking is not emotional or intuitive enough though. What is appealing needs to be automatic, without thinking, to reach the emotional level.

Or higher quality is something that takes more work to make. Probably curvy shapes are harder to make than pointy or rectangular shapes. Embryonic development and the growth of the body are probably much harder to do or more complex phenomena than any watchmaking out there. The body has these curvy shapes. Curves are probably the most appealing.
    Last edited by rdoder; June 7th, 2016 at 20:07.
    Sevenmack likes this.

Wow, not even worth commenting buy I would say Omega is arguably better than Rolex, I certainly like the designs much better.... I guess if you have to ask maybe you need to do some homework in the forums....

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post
    I saw what you did there.
    The important bit, is the bit you omitted.

My former English tutor taught me this, the more words you need/use to convey a simple idea, the more you have failed. I suppose you could say that was an alternate version of the oft cited "that which is understood" quote.

Strip away the manure and you're left with this:

People should only buy things they can afford.
    Over-stretching your finances to buy non-essentials is a bad idea.
    Peer/social/cultural pressures should be resisted.

Why what do you know, no need for hundreds of words or high-school psychology required.
    Last edited by drunken monkey; June 7th, 2016 at 20:10.
    Ticonderoga likes this.
    Hidden Content

Thoughts for the day:
    data is useless if you lack the ability to understand the information it presents
    Hidden Content

Having owned both brands I would say no. Omega quality is not on par with Rolex and therefore is in a different class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    A very Freudian view of the world. Do not make the mistake of extrapolation from your individual motivations and desires to a universal truth.
    Automakers have long produced ads featuring gorgeous women paired up with nice cars. Revolution, the watch magazine, has numerous covers and photo shoots featuring hot women with expensive watches. Your individual motivations for collecting watches may not involve beauty or women. But apparently, marketers and magazine editors have figured out that this does play with other men out there.
    Attachment 8362762
    Attachment 8362738
    Attachment 8362754
    rdoder likes this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

Quote Originally Posted by jlondono77; (Florida, USA)
    Wow, not even worth commenting buy I would say Omega is arguably better than Rolex, I certainly like the designs much better....
    Quote Originally Posted by adin1978; (Georgia USA)
    Having owned both brands I would say no. Omega quality is not on par with Rolex and therefore is in a different class.
    Peaches and Oranges....
    Last edited by EnderW; June 7th, 2016 at 21:00.
    jlondono77 likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by jlondono77 View Post
    Wow, not even worth commenting buy I would say Omega is arguably better than Rolex, I certainly like the designs much better.... I guess if you have to ask maybe you need to do some homework in the forums....
    Do expand on that, please...
    drhr likes this.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500
    + others...

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenmack View Post
    Automakers have long produced ads featuring gorgeous women paired up with nice cars. Revolution, the watch magazine, has numerous covers and photo shoots featuring hot women with expensive watches. Your individual motivations for collecting watches may not involve beauty or women. But apparently, marketers and magazine editors have figured out that this does play with other men out there.
    Don't conflate images used to sell a watch magazine with images used to sell a watch.
    I don't think I've ever seen an advertising image of a woman wearing a Submariner or a Planet Ocean.
    mleok, Dimman and Ticonderoga like this.
    Hidden Content

Thoughts for the day:
    data is useless if you lack the ability to understand the information it presents
    Hidden Content

Page 28 of 280 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread Information