WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

WIS'ers down under - AUS

273K views 4K replies 304 participants last post by  AardnoldArrdvark 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I thought it might be a good idea for a thread that all of us WIS'ers here in Australia could congregate in one area to share our local finds or thoughts and general watch chit chat that might be more relevant to us Aussies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#816 ·
Do we know how many followers we have in Perth or WA?

Reactions: Effecient
#824 ·
Hi guys,
Just stumbled upon this post. Being a Melbourne boy, this might be the best place to ask this question. Can any of you recommend a good watchmaker in Melbourne? Specifically looking for two things. Can be different answers or the same. Wanting recommendations for someone to service some high end watches other than manufacturers. Some ETA/Selita stuff and Rolex. Also looking for someone to that can mod an incoming 007.

Thanks.

#826 ·
Come on Perth members; there must be quite a number here. If someone organises a Perth GTG, I am sure that a few of us would go!

#831 · (Edited)
Melbourne Cup Today.

The whole state takes a public holiday today for the race. Never really understood the holiday but no one is complaining.

Great excuse for the fillies to dress up.

Naturally the colts follow.

Not going to the cup this year but did make it to Derby Day and wore this.

Longines have had naming rights on the clock tower and they are the official timers.

The clock tower has been standing at the track since the 1930's located a little distance before the finish line. Over the decades trainers have urged the riders "don't go before the clock tower" as part of their tactical instructions.

For anyone having a punt - good luck.

Regards,

#833 ·
It was a great race. I worked today but managed to get the Tri (25%) of $1558 which is nice even though it cost $180 to put on. Not a big win, there must have been lots of live units. The F4 paid $23K, so there must have been no love for Qewy!

Ita

Reactions: James A
#832 ·
Hi Sydney Siders. Has anyone got a preferred AD for Tudors?

My favourite salesman has resigned and I see the value in having a bit of a relationship with the guy (or gal) that I buy from (both in terms of price and aftermarket service) so don't want to just default to whoever walks up to me in the store next time I go.

Any pointers would be much appreciated as I'm thinking to pick up a Black Bay in the new year.

Cheers

#834 ·
Hey guys. Just a heads up that the Government has released a consultation draft of the legislation intended to force overseas sellers to collect GST on low value imports (<$1000). If the seller (or platform like eBay I believe) has greater than $75000 GST-able turnover, they're supposed to register. It's unlikely to affect small sellers, but if you buy from eBay, Amazon etc, you're likely to get stung. GST will be charged on the postage component too. Commencement is 1 July 2017.
http://www.treasury.gov.au/Consulta...-GST-to-low-value-goods-imported-by-consumers
Go to the Q&A document.
An excuse to bring forward some purchases? [emoji2]

#846 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Just a heads up that the Government has released a consultation draft of the legislation intended to force overseas sellers to collect GST on low value imports (<$1000). If the seller (or platform like eBay I believe) has greater than $75000 GST-able turnover, they're supposed to register. It's unlikely to affect small sellers, but if you buy from eBay, Amazon etc, you're likely to get stung. GST will be charged on the postage component too. Commencement is 1 July 2017.
Applying GST to low value goods imported by consumers | The Treasury
Go to the Q&A document.
An excuse to bring forward some purchases? [emoji2]

Well that absolutely sucks.

#838 ·
That is the tricky thing. They're relying on an entity that doesn't have to comply with Australian law (because it doesn't do business here) voluntarily registering. This won't fly with smaller sellers, but multinationals that do have operations here (eBay, perhaps Amazon etc) will probably be strongly encouraged.
I remember talk of ATO staff flying all over the world trying to persuade these big multinationals to voluntarily comply with a law that can't be upheld in an international court.
Of course the multinationals will voluntarily sign up - they're such good corporate citizens [emoji1360]

#839 ·
HI All,

I am in Perth, and have recently bought few watches from the Sales Forum, mainly from the USA.

My last purchase cost US$51 to ship to Perth.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative, I have heard other discussing using a US based shipping agency for their shipping, but I'm not sure how they operate, or what the typical savings would be.

Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

BigEd, Perth

#843 ·
Hi BigEd,

I've used shopmate which is Australia Post's forwarding company.

Basically you sign up and they give you an address in the USA (in Oregon) which has a suite number that is specific to you. This is the address you enter for your shipping information when buying.

Then when the package arrives at the US address they email you or you can check your account online. Once you declare what's in the package and pay they will send it to the address you give them via your shop mate account.

For watches I've only ever paid around $25 sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, depending on weight.

Definitely check them out as they are by far the safest option.

Hope that helps
comGateway is another service that works the same way and also, coincidentally, is based in Oregon.

#840 ·
HI All,

I am in Perth, and have recently bought few watches from the Sales Forum, mainly from the USA.

My last purchase cost US$51 to ship to Perth.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative, I have heard other discussing using a US based shipping agency for their shipping, but I'm not sure how they operate, or what the typical savings would be.

Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

BigEd, Perth

#842 ·
Hi BigEd,

I've used shopmate which is Australia Post's forwarding company.

Basically you sign up and they give you an address in the USA (in Oregon) which has a suite number that is specific to you. This is the address you enter for your shipping information when buying.

Then when the package arrives at the US address they email you or you can check your account online. Once you declare what's in the package and pay they will send it to the address you give them via your shop mate account.

For watches I've only ever paid around $25 sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, depending on weight.

Definitely check them out as they are by far the safest option.

Hope that helps

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#841 ·
Sorry, double post

#850 ·
Price USA | Shop where you want

Used Carolina for buying from US. Excellent service.

FROM JAPAN: Japanese auction and shopping proxy service

For buying from Yahoo Japan, etc.
I just did a price comparison on the Price USA site versus the US postal Service

For a 1.5kg parcel, the post office wants $83.90 USDfor express tracked shipping with delivery in 3-5 days

As its coming through the chance there's a chance that you won't get stung for inbound GST, and taxes, and not likely that you will face brokerage fees

For Price USA they want $124 USD for express freight.

they use UPS and from personal experience in my business they will ALWAYS collect the GST and duty and a brokerage fee and will withold delivery until it is paid

And you still have to freight to one of their collection points

the only way these services are of any use is if you are shopping for an item that is only available from an organistion that will not ship internationally

Seems to be an unlikely scenario for any watch transaction through this or any other forum.

If you were to book the pick-up yourself using UPS online they would only charge you $76.30 and that's in AUD. You'd still have all the GST, duty and brokerage issues, but at least it is direct, not through a middleman

Insurance is on top of that again.

These on-forwarding places are a business. They need to make money to do what they do and the profit is substantial by the look of it.

Sure if it is a critical item that you absolutely have to have, then its cheaper than a plane ticket.

But I'd rather save the extra and put it towards another watch.

I didn't bother checking the Japan numbers, as I don't deal there, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a similar story.

#852 ·
#853 ·
Hi all, cruising the net as you do I found something that caught my eye from Sydney Watch Exchange on the net, who appear to be sydwatchx on ebay. Anyone have dealings with this mob positive or negative? TIA

#855 ·
I too almost bought a datejust from that seller. I was wary of his feedback on ebay though - seems to be reset? Or zero?
My confidence didn't increase when I made an offer...he was keen to do a cash deal outside of ebay, and for me to come to him in Fairfield. Not the safest part of Sydney to be doing that (no disrespect to Fairfield-dwellers! But that is a lot of cash)
Needless to say, I pulled out of the deal because of that.
He may indeed be genuinely good, but it was too risky for me.
He said he got the watch from Vintage Watch Co - I thought then that I would wait for the same thing again there and pay a bit more.
It was too much money to be mucking around.
My 2c.
N

#856 ·
Hi all from Sydney. I'm very new to the whole watch collection game, but I can see early on how addictive it can be!!!
So far I'm loving the vintage feeling pilots watches and dive watches.
Popped into the Swiss Concepts store today to have a look at the Tudor Black Bay and I was not disappointed!! The burgundy red bezel was my favourite. I was a little disappointed they did not have a BB bronze to show me but the very friendly and polite lady took my details and promised to let me know if they got one in.
Any tips on any other shops worth a look for Tudor gear?

#857 ·
Hi all from Sydney. I'm very new to the whole watch collection game, but I can see early on how addictive it can be!!!
So far I'm loving the vintage feeling pilots watches and dive watches.
Popped into the Swiss Concepts store today to have a look at the Tudor Black Bay and I was not disappointed!! The burgundy red bezel was my favourite. I was a little disappointed they did not have a BB bronze to show me but the very friendly and polite lady took my details and promised to let me know if they got one in.
Any tips on any other shops worth a look for Tudor gear?
Try watches of switzerland at four seasons hotel, Kennedy boutique at the star, Gregory Jewellers at Bondi Junctions

#859 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. :)
In my hours of research I've decided the watches I most want are:
1). Tudor BB Bronze. (Just love the idea of watching it age)
2). Tudor BB Red on the bracelet. (ETA - I prefer the rose dial & 'self winding' smile.)
3). Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial.
4). Mont Blanc 1858 Manual Small Second with blue face.
5). Omega Speedmaster. Only just begun the trip down the rabbit hole on deciding which one...............

Looks like I'll have an expensive but satisfying few years ahead!!! :)

#866 ·
Try any one of these guys

Max Schweizer
Level 3
313 George St
Sydney

V & E SIntic
5th Floor
155 Castlereagh St
Sydney

Master Watchmaking
Suite 1004, Level 10
265 Castlereagh St
Sydney

Thomas Czibula
Expert Watch Repair
Suite 306
250 Pitt St
Sydney

Down side is they are al in the CBD and only Mon-Fri, and a few are not open all day

They are all good - just not sure who'd be best for an old Constellation.