WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Zenith chronomaster el primero, why no respect?

14K views 50 replies 42 participants last post by  Roningrad 
#1 ·
Zenith is probably the most underrated watch maker. They make there own movement and have a long history. I am interested in purchasing the chronomaster elprimero moonphase. I saw a number if them on sale in the secondary market and was surprised how inexpensive they are relative to other watches. Why is that? Is it because there might be a history of repair? If not the El Primero, then what?

#2 ·
Zenith as a brand is not the most prestigious. While a 36,000 vph chronograph was very impressive at introduction, the el primero is becoming a little long in the tooth (no hacking, no vertical clutch).
Additionally, it's thought the 36k movement requires more and better maintenance to run well. These are all factors, but the main one is that the demand just isn't that strong on the secondary market, perhaps because of styling, perhaps because of price. After all they're not much cheaper than, say, an Omega speedmaster which while isn't as technologically advanced has a strong heritage behind it.

#7 ·
Zenith don't make many watches per year. Thus people don't see many of them which in turn leads to an uncertainty.

In other words, there aren't enough people saying how great their Zenith watches are for other people to be confident in doing anything other than say they are good.

#8 ·
I am shuffling my entire collection to grab a Zenith. Since joining here, I have fallen in love.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I think part of the issue is that while Zenith has an iconic movement, the El Primero, I'm not sure they really have an iconic model, and that diffuses demand (which compromises resale value). This is also the reason why the sports model Rolexes have better resale than the Datejusts, because there are relatively few design variants in the sports model, but there is a mind bogging number of variants of Datejusts.

#11 ·
OK I'm biased because I own a few Zeniths, but honestly you don't have to dig too far on WUS to see they enjoy a lot of respect among most of the community. The El Primero is a well proven, robust, true manufacture movement with a great history. The finish of Zenith watches, and particularly the dials, is certainly among the very best at their price point. If you like the style, I can't imagine you being disappointed.

Reactions: Roningrad
#16 ·
Zenith is my favourite brand despite not owning one.
I think it is fair to say that Zenith has not produced an iconic model but name me a movement more iconic than the El Primero?
Zenith does get the respect it deserves here and I do believe it is a brand that is above Omega/Rolex but below JLC/GO.

They make a beautiful range of watches and their pricing is extremely good value.
Additionally they make some pieces which are incredible;

#17 ·
Perhaps the OP was alluding to relative unknown status of Zenith beyond the watch community. Watch forums and blogs are full of people drooling over Zenith (myself included) but the brand remains relatively unknown to the world at large. I could easily drive myself to bankruptcy with Zenith.

-hayday

#23 ·
I'm a fan. I'm wearing a chronomaster today. I just think they aren't as well known to the general public. They are much smaller than the lesser known brands. They also went through a period of odd styling choices in the not so distant past that lost them some of their dedicated fans.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Zenith rocks! One day, hopefully, I will get to own a Zenith that is powered by an El Primero movement. For now, I have my Sellita-powered Zenith Pilot Type 20 Extra Special. :)

Attachments

#30 ·
Nice Zeniths, but you should have started a new thread instead of rehashing a year old thread, who's title really is ridiculous in the WIS world. All WIS respect Zenith.

#35 ·
Before I familiarized myself with the watch community I thought Zenith was the same company that used to make TVs.

I wish I was lying.

They make stunning watches, just don't expect a lay person to recognize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.watchuseek.com/f27/short-history-martel-watch-co-zenith-chronographs-660565.html

A must read for all who would like to know more about Zenith.
After reading the sticky, I came to truly understand and appreciate the brand... which enabled me to get a Zenith of my own as well.

#29 ·
If you really think about Omega and Rolex's commercial success, I think you'd agree that aside from a strong narrative in their watches and/or movement, they had very strong marketing behind it.

I think Zenith like many others like simply focused on designing and producing watches, had their sights narrowly on a few watch loving customers, and vastly neglected the commercial potential of global proportions.

#31 · (Edited)
I can't believe that in 3 pages, no one has mentioned troll.

I'll feed the troll a little. I have had my eye on a vintage one for sometime and just need to pull the funds together to get it before it gets away. Yeah... you must be new here..., huh?

#32 ·
Not every watch brand can have the following of Rolex or Omega. I'm sure we can fill the forums with respectable brands someone finds in not getting enough respect. I can't recall of anyone complaining about Zenith. That I think says all that needs to be said given this is the internets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.