zeroing an ETA 251 quartz Chrono [30 min hand]

Thread: zeroing an ETA 251 quartz Chrono [30 min hand]

zeroing an ETA 251 quartz Chrono [30 min hand]

Evening,

I replaced the battery on a watch with an ETA Quartz chrono with the 251.471 movement in it.

I reset the 1/10 hand and the chronograph hand to the zero position, but cant seem to figure out the 30min position [subdial at the 10 o'clock position] It feels like I have tried every possible combination of crown positions and pushers...but I may be missing something.

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Re: zeroing an ETA 251 quartz Chrono [30 min hand]

Crown position 2, button B (try holding it in for a bit if it's not working for you).

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by skoochy View Post
    Crown position 2, button B (try holding it in for a bit if it's not working for you).

-s-
    Thanks so much...unfortunately that subdial is not moving with that operation, and not moving when the chrono is running...I believe the owner ran the chronograph for 2 + years straight so there is no knowing how or when it went bad...if it did
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
    Thanks so much...unfortunately that subdial is not moving with that operation, and not moving when the chrono is running...I believe the owner ran the chronograph for 2 + years straight so there is no knowing how or when it went bad...if it did
    The motor coil burning out is quite common on those movements (the 471 specifically). Actually if he ran it straight, the battery would be gone in under 6 months! The 30-minute motor doesn't get used that much, so it probably didn't wear out from that.

It's a pretty simple fix... you can cannibalize the part from another one, or get a new one. Two screws for the shield, and I think 6 screws to take the circuit board off, and one more for the culprit coil.

... or zero it out by hand and then ignore it (do you guys really measure over a minute with a chrono?).

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

Thanks for the info, thats good to know

I've done 2-3 minutes before [fondue LOL]....but nothing close to 30

Quote Originally Posted by skoochy View Post
    The motor coil burning out is quite common on those movements (the 471 specifically). Actually if he ran it straight, the battery would be gone in under 6 months! The 30-minute motor doesn't get used that much, so it probably didn't wear out from that.

It's a pretty simple fix... you can cannibalize the part from another one, or get a new one. Two screws for the shield, and I think 6 screws to take the circuit board off, and one more for the culprit coil.

... or zero it out by hand and then ignore it (do you guys really measure over a minute with a chrono?).

-s-
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA

Watches:

Go Yankees!

Thread Information