1. Incoming! 2. My last Omega (?) 3. Some events of only personal importance to me

Thread: 1. Incoming! 2. My last Omega (?) 3. Some events of only personal importance to me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off Topic post 1. Incoming! 2. My last Omega (?) 3. Some events of only personal importance to me

I'm not usually one for these sorts of personal notes, but I felt that I might indulge this post. I've hung around this forum for a while now and seen my share of individual tales of births and deaths, marriages entered and heirlooms received and all these have encouraged me to share a little of my own story and perhaps even glean some useful advice.

First, I've just taken receipt of my first new Omega in a while (that is, a while by forum standards). It will take me a few days to take, edit, and put up pictures, but I am extremely pleased to have found one of these. I actually won an auction for the same model about a month ago, but the guy's been stringing me along for weeks now without anything actually arriving. Luckily, the scam's incompetent enough that I shouldn't have much trouble actually getting my money back. And just as I got ready to file an INR claim with eBay, another one popped up for an acceptable price and now it's on my wrist. I think it's a perfect complement to my collection of Omegas. It's a modern piece, but a fair bit different in style from most of the rest of my stable. That's all the hints I'll give for now.

It may well be my last Omega. This isn't due to a lessening of interest in the brand or some political of philosophical difference (although, Omega v Costco certainly grates). Certainly, the brand is going upscale fast. Given the shifts we've seen in the last ten years, who knows what will happen in the next ten? Increased interest in the brand has driven up vintage prices as well and it's become harder to find truly good deals and substantially easier to stumble across fakes and redialed frankenwatches. But these are slow shifts a long time in coming. The reason that I'm ostensibly going cold turkey is that I'm about to voluntarily become very, very poor.

A little background info is in order, I suppose. I'm in my mid-20s, which I'd think is pretty young for this forum. I currently work as an engineer at a large and rather successful software company. This has proved a lucrative enterprise, one that has allowed a comfortable and largely insouciant life as well as a decent collection of wristwatches. This coming fall, I'll be enrolled in a PhD program in American History at a rather good university for that sort of thing. As many of you know, graduate students aren't well paid. I'm not sure that I'll be able to afford noodles of the non-instant variety much less luxury wristwatches. And with such a precipitous drop in future earning potential, dipping into extant savings seems like a poor choice.

So, what is to be done in such a situation? I've certainly enjoyed finding, modding, and photographing watches as well as the time spent discussing all of it here at WUS; I am also rather attached to my collection, especially of the Omegas I've accumulated so I don't think that I'll be flipping them. Is the core nature of the WIS game about acquisition? Would watch collecting still be interesting in the preterit - as "watch collected"?

Who here has not purchased, traded, or otherwise received a new watch in a year? Two years? Five? Maybe I should just start posting on PMWF.

Well, enough of this. I'll have some pretty pictures for all of you in the next thread I start!
    Last edited by ASRSPR; February 26th, 2011 at 14:34.

Re: 1. Incoming! 2. My last Omega (?) 3. Some events of only personal importance to me

Interesting! An LE perhaps?
    CURRENT:
    Ω Speedmaster Professional
    Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary LE 311.30.42.30.99.001

Ω Seamaster Professional
    Planet Ocean Liquid Metal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001
    Planet Ocean 2201.50.00

JLC
    Memovox Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm

Transitional Sea-Dweller
    16660 The Triple Six

Sinn

Re: 1. Incoming! 2. My last Omega (?) 3. Some events of only personal importance to me

Interesting post - looking forward to some pictures. Good luck with the Phd.

Nigel

Can I ask why the switch in career?

Excellent decision to continue your education, I wish you the best of luck! It will be a short term sacrifice in a long term investment in yourself.

ASRSPR-- Good luck in school. As a grad student, I'm going through some of the exact same thoughts/feelings that as you. It really seems I want to grab some my grails before prices rise, but other responsibilities must come first. Lucky I have my PO, which I feel lucky to have.

Coincidently, I'm in school right now so that one day, the wife and I can migrate to the west, we really have our eyes on Seattle.

Moderator Omega and Apple Forum Chibatastic's Avatar

Hmm your new watch must be P-H-D-elicious. I want to say AT 8500?

I don't think I'll be buying for a long time either. Coming here can be a double-edged sword. You get to share in the excitement of others, but you also see a lot of tempting pieces.

Good luck with the PhD. ... Deldog

Good luck on your future studies and PhD ASRSPR! I've enjoyed seeing your Speedy mods, they are an incredible collection of watches that you have. I wouldn't be too concerned with your temporary absence of watch collecting; just remember it is only temporary. And you are also in your mid 20s, so there is many watches to collect in your forseeable future.

Within the past year or so, I've been somewhat satisfied in my small collection of watches; and most watches that come up for sale on the sales forum has not drawn my interest. With that being said, I just pulled the trigger on another Omega too. I'll share it with you guys when it comes in next week. ; )

Time and money spent on education is never wasted. So, what area are you actually studying and have you got an interesting supervisor? As far as I am aware, there is no requirement to buy and sell watches to post on the forum and I would be sad to see you go as you have been a fascinating contributor to the forum from the off. Either way, the bottom line is that it is perfectly possible to get away with the most enormously eccentric posts if they are fun and interesting. As such, I'd love to hear what you have uncovered as your studies proceed - and how you can link it with watches...

Whatever else, Good luck!

Matt
    Hidden Content Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information