Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carlhaluss

Thread: 1950s Bumper Automatic

1950s Bumper Automatic

Well, my brother and I found my Dad's old Omega Bumper Automatic, which he got in the early 50s. I still remember admiring that watch as a child. It always seemed to have kind of a magical, greenish hue to it for some reason. Now, after all these years, I took it in to a local and very reputable watch repairer and restorer to have it serviced. It still runs really well after all this time.

The bumper is a very early automatic movement. The weight or rotor did not rotate 180 degress. It had a spring bumper which engouraged a back and forth motion.

Hopefully, I can pick it up in a week or so. Some photos I took recently, except the one of the movement is a borrowed one from elsewhere on the internet:

In the early 50s there were a lot of Omegas that didn't have a specific model stated on the dial, like "Seamaster" etc. So I really don't know what model this is. Also, most of the info re: WR, antishock etc. is engraved on the caseback.

Can't wait to pick it up and select a strap or bracelet. I will also want to get hold of a proper Omega buckle if I get a strap.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Omega 1963 Seamaster caliber552 Automatic
    Cartier 2013 Tank Solo Gold caliber690 quartz
    Cartier 2013 Tank Solo Stainless Steel caliber690 quartz

Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satisfied.

Re: 1950s Bumper Automatic

Wonder if he had the lume added by a watch guy later on in the watches life.

Watch was certainly redialled at some point. The luminous material on top of the markers was not something done by Omega. The bumper automatic movement would be correct for a watch of this vintage.

I would be curious to see any markings inside the case on this one. I've never seen that style of engraving on the back of an Omega before, but there is always a first time.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    Watch was certainly redialled at some point. The luminous material on top of the markers was not something done by Omega. The bumper automatic movement would be correct for a watch of this vintage.

I would be curious to see any markings inside the case on this one. I've never seen that style of engraving on the back of an Omega before, but there is always a first time.

Take care,
    gatorcpa
    You got me thinking on this one! The lady at the shop phoned me today, with an estimate of the servicing, including new mainspring: $240. which I didn't think is bad at all. Mind you, this is the first time I have ever had a vintage watch serviced.

She also mentioned that the watch had been serviced - by them, no less - in January, 1970. That meant quite a lot to me, as 1969-1970 were very significant years of my life, but that's another story. Anyway, my father died in 1974, so 1970 would have been the last service. The watch is apparently from the early 50s, but I can't imagine my Father ever having it lumed, or anything done to the dial withing the relatively short period of 18 years or so. Still, I will call them back and see if they can shed any light on this.

I have often wondered about the lume in the past year or so since I have had the watch. It does almost look as though it was added later, I admit. Of course, that is something I would not remember even if it was so.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Francois Boucher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Wonder if he had the lume added by a watch guy later on in the watches life.
    Thanks for the reply. The shop where I am now having it serviced, did the last service on it in 1970. My Father always talked about this shop. At the time they also were a major dealer of Omegas, although I don't believe he got the watch there, as they didn't start the business until the 60s. I am sure that they would have been the only ones who ever serviced it or made any alterations to the dial.

Cheers,
    Carl

Thread Information