WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ah, the good old days...

1K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Kauf2947 
#1 ·
While clearing out a desk drawer, I came across two purchase receipts from ten years ago.

The first was a 2255.80 Electric Blue Seamaster, new with warranty from an AD, MSRP of $2150. Then a new Great White, MSRP of $2500.

The standard forum discount back then was 40%.

Wish I still had both of those watches.

Can't even buy them pre-owned for those prices now.

#3 ·
While clearing out a desk drawer, I came across two purchase receipts from ten years ago.
The first was a 2255.80 Electric Blue Seamaster, new with warranty from an AD, MSRP of $2150. Then a new Great White, MSRP of $2500.
The standard forum discount back then was 40%.
Wish I still had both of those watches.
Can't even buy them pre-owned for those prices now.
Ill do u one better. 2002 MSRP of a 2254.50 was $1750. Bought mine from an AD $1225 out the door. Subs too were affordable $3850 MSRP then. Speedies were I believe $3k.

#5 ·
Yep...lots of I wish I would have bought. Lots I wish I would have kept!

#8 ·
When I purchased my Electric Blue SMP, retail was $1750 and believe I paid $1050 almost 15 years ago.

When the Planet Ocean came our a few years after, I was completely shocked on how much the prices went up with a retail of $3400. My SMP had a retail of that time of $2150. Though to myself, well there went that train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I was looking through the boxes from both my Omegas a few days ago and looked at the receipts. Both were bought new at a good discount, yes times have changed.

#14 ·
I actually think Apple watch success drives up the price of our watches.

Omega has to make all its profit on less units, and has to put in lots of R&D to keep their offering current.

Less units, more R&D, equal profit means each unit sells for much more.

Add in after these expensive Boutiques and their "glass of champagne" sales, no AD's, and list price sales = We can't afford these watches any more!

#16 ·
Hahahah - as Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"

But, seriously, we all have some regrets. In my case I do miss my 38.5mm AT 8500 Skyfall and my Rolex Submariner Hulk.

I almost regret turning down an offer this month to buy a new white dial ceramic Daytona in exchange for $7400 + my Polar Explorer II and CK-2998 LE, but it was over $4K too much on the cash side and I'd miss the trades too much. Then I'd be posting about my regret in 10 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.